SASS Wire Forum

If You Ever Get To The Falklands

Subdeacon Joe

So what the heck are "Goujons?"  :huh:

Looks like they gots both chicken and fish.  :)

17 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So what the heck are "Goujons?"  :huh:

Looks like they gots both chicken and fish.  :)

Think fish sticks

Joe pulled the trigger first.

So, the Falklands use the British pound sterling, but not the metric system?  (Steaks are in ounces)

If you ever get to Sheboygan The Falklands
It's the greatest little place in the world
Just tell them you're an old friend of mine
And every door in town will have a big welcome sign

So mention my name in The Falklands
And if you ever get in a jam
Just mention name, I said mention my name
But please don't them where I am

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

They have reindeer in South America?

And penguins. The farther south you go, the more north you get.

;)

https://exploringkiwis.com/wildlife-guide-falkland-islands/

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There are places in the Falklands where penguins thrive because the land mines have not yet been removed.

Penguins ain't heavy enough to set em off. :D

I am glad Goujons aren’t what I suspected. :D

Leave it to auto communista to just scramble crap out of a perfectly good sentence. 

They may well have invented it ; but they were convinced that metric was easier ..........

......... as to the U.S.A. ..... they're waiting for all you old people to die off so they can convince the rest of you ......

:P

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

They may well have invented it ; but they were convinced that metric was easier ..........

......... as to the U.S.A. ..... they're waiting for all you old people to die off so they can convince the rest of you ......

Several years ago on a black powder mortar and cannon forum a guy from Sweden was going on about how the metric system was so superior, and Americans kept using the Imperial, with its odd fractions and being based on things like the length of a persons foot or from the finger tips of an outstretched arm to the tip of the nose.  I challenged him to, using only a compass and straight edge, divide a line segment into tenths.  Then divide it into half, quarter, eighths, sixteenths, thirty-seconds, sixty-fourths, and so on using the same tools.  I also asked him, using the quarter circumference of the Earth from the Equator to the North Pole as it passes through Paris, to estimate a metre.  Or he could pull out his special Iridium bar.

Neither is superior to the other.  Just different.

3 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Never happen. The Force is strong with us.

;)

3 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I like to use SAE and Metric to confuse people...hmmm...I must be part English after all. :lol:

Chevrolet, the bass turds, likes to use metric for bolt heads but SAE for threads. That right there is worthy of a good butt whoopin’! :angry:

33 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... and decided that you liked metric money fairly quickly .....  :P

Don't go confusin the issue with facts!

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... but, ........ but, .......... you'all been using metric money since ..... forever .... :o

Why do you say our money is metric?

Our paper money is one, two, five, ten, twenty, fifty and one hundred. If it was metric it would only be one ten and one hundred.

Our current coinage is one, five, ten, twenty-five, fifty and one hundred. When we first got rid of English money and adopted the Spanish dollar, we also had a piece worth 12 1/2 cents.

Again - metric would only be one, ten and one hundred.

18 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

are there not 100 cents to the dollar ?

Yes but that doesn't make it metric.  There's also a 10 cent piece, but the existence of the nickle, quarter, and 50 cent piece blow the metric theory out of the water. 

Cents seem to have shown up in the US at about the same time the french were inventing the metric system.  So it sounds like maybe the 100 cents to a dollar has more to do with the founding fathers having, on average, 10 fingers each and naturally counting in base 10. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

.  So it sounds like maybe the 100 cents to a dollar has more to do with the founding fathers having, on average, 10 fingers each and naturally counting in base 10. 

...... I rest my case .....   :(

Archived