SASS Wire Forum

Are store bought lead bullets getting harder to get?

Warden Callaway

Another USPO bungle.   I ordered some parts last week.   They when here and there and set there for a while.  Then showed up at the KC distribution center.  Then out to the Columbia PO.  Then it showed being at our PO 5:30 am yesterday.  But it wasn't delivered.   Sawmill Mary made a run to town so I asked her to check.  The basket of mail to be sent to our PO was still settling in Columbia.   Maybe Monday. :angry:

Warren , I don`t want do anything in this post but pass on my experience in the last week. On Mon. I ordered 10k fed lg. primers from a regular store and received them fri., Thurs night at 9 pm i ordered 1000 projectiles and went to bed. At 7:15am Fri. my phone woke me with an alert that my had already shipped and i had a tracking #. Today i drove to Cabelas and purchased two cases of featherlight shells. I know it doesn't seem like its possible .Tonight i will lose on the Lotto. LOL

Scarlett made a loyal customer out of me and she's my go to for range pills.

I hope she'll forgive me for placing my next order through ACME, it's only because I want one of their wood boxes. All other orders are hers. :D

(And I didn't even get a coupon for a hug.:lol:)

I will be going back to Scarlett as well. I had checked her site but they were listed as out of stock... so I ordered some from Cowboy's Choice. They arrived quickly and I have no problems with them but when I saw that Scarlett had just listed them as OOS so not just anyone could order them but had to contact her direct, I ordered 500 more from her. They shipped when she said they would and arrived on time.

My next order will have to be for .45s though... got a friend talking real hard to get me to shoot Classic Cowboy. ;)

Since Obama's environmental bit to close - reduce production from  US domestic lead mines, getting lead has been slow.  Most lead now comes from Europe and Mexico and China.  Usa and China and Mexica lead in lead recycling.  Buying tons from foundries is tight.

I shot the Revenge in Colorado on the San Juan Range back in June.  While there I bought bullets out of San Juan's warehouse.  There were huge stacks of bullets ready to ship.  I've sure he has plenty ready to ship this month.  I've never been concerned about obtaining cast bullets.  Some caster somewhere can supply me.  Powder and primers is another matter.  Suppliers are fewer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 9:32 PM, Scarlett said:

Well until this week - we’ve now started using UPS ground because the US Mail was having so many issues.... one package had duplicate tracking numbers - one was Amazon and one was me - USPS issued them. My customers package went to CA instead of Texas. Then, another package SAT for TEN DAYS showed in transit...  PLUS, the mail volume is so high with everyone ordering so much. We are behind too - but catching up... 

Big hugs! 
Scarlett

Well, I sent a 10 pound USPS Priority Mail (1 day) on Wednesday to a location 120 away.  It's "scheduled for deliver -- arriving late"  today Friday.

Other than the drive time it would have been cheaper to personally deliver.  UPS was about a wee bit more expensive but guaranteed Thursday delivery.

Oh well, I ship so little but sure aggravates the dickens out of me.

On the bad side I had a Cimarron Runnin' Iron (stainless beauty) LOST by UPS for 5 days; finally found it and I received it 2 weeks after it was initially ordered.

I ordered bullets from Missouri BC on 8/8 & received them on the 31st. What was interesting is that there was a notice left in the mail box by our rural carrier for "delivery attempt" rather than actual delivery. The carrier is a 30ish male bigger than I am. So I drove the almost mile to the PO, presented the notice to the middle-aged woman behind the counter. Within a minute she carried out the 40 or so # box and gave it to me.  Pretty crazy!

DC

On 8/21/2020 at 8:04 AM, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Post office loses one in five and is one of my best customers lately. Tracking shows it departing the regional sorting facility and then nothing. One package showed up 5 weeks later.

:D Truth! I ended up with 130 pounds of lead for 1/2 price!

On 8/22/2020 at 3:16 PM, Hendo said:

I hope she'll forgive me for placing my next order through ACME, it's only because I want one of their wood boxes. All other orders are hers. :D

Scarlett's boxes aren't bad, just takes some time to cut all the strapping off.

39 minutes ago, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

I ordered bullets from Missouri BC on 8/8 & received them on the 31st. What was interesting is that there was a notice left in the mail box by our rural carrier for "delivery attempt" rather than actual delivery. The carrier is a 30ish male bigger than I am. So I drove the almost mile to the PO, presented the notice to the middle-aged woman behind the counter. Within a minute she carried out the 40 or so # box and gave it to me.  Pretty crazy!

DC

The local (very rural) carriers here are severely overloaded. Lots of folks ordering far more online than a year ago...

So I have had some instances of "delivery attempt" from the online status with NO note in the mailbox or on my door... And then they bring it the next day. It is a bit annoying, since a quick run to the PO the next day would result in the package not being there, it is actually (finally) out for delivery.

I've learned to be patient on delivery (with USPS) and file a claim when a package disappears for more than 10 days. FedEx seems to be the most reliable at this time, also the most expensive. Except for big heavy items (over 100 pounds and several cubic feet), then FedEx is actually competitive.

Ordered 1000 38's from Scarlett last week, got them yesterday! Great service from Scarlett as always. Only hitch was my nosey USPS lady practically demanding to know what was in the box and it was so heavy. Told her it was depleted uranium ...... she left kinda fast.   

Seems the answer to the OP is that it depends on what store and what you’re shopping for.

If you’re patient and don’t get into a desperate situation, most everything within reason can be found within reason. What you can’t buy, you can likely trade for and if you ain’t greedy, you CAN get by!

I picked up the SD cards from the trail cams along our privet drive this morning. At 1:36 pm yesterday a USPS van had been down our drive. It never made it to the house as we were outside at the time.  It didn't make it to the second cam so it must have just turned around.   We picked up our mail about 3:00 yesterday.   Just junk.   

So we loaded up and drove into the post office. They were there.  The desk lady said they had been there two days.  She didn't know anything about a USPS van being down our drive. 

She said the rural delivery guy wouldn't have delivered them because they were too heavy.  (They've delivered before.)  I wonder how long they would stumble over them before telling us they were there?

In any case,  we're fixed for bullets for awhile.  

On 8/22/2020 at 6:08 PM, The Verdigris Kid said:

I will be going back to Scarlett as well. I had checked her site but they were listed as out of stock... so I ordered some from Cowboy's Choice. They arrived quickly and I have no problems with them but when I saw that Scarlett had just listed them as OOS so not just anyone could order them but had to contact her direct, I ordered 500 more from her. They shipped when she said they would and arrived on time.

My next order will have to be for .45s though... got a friend talking real hard to get me to shoot Classic Cowboy. ;)

I hope that I will have some 45 C soon... working hard to find some large pistol primers! 

On 8/22/2020 at 3:16 PM, Hendo said:

You can get a Bullets By Scarlett wooden box! And...a coupon for a free hug!  Heck - I’ll give you a Free Hug for the nice comment! 

big hugs!

Scarlett

On 8/21/2020 at 5:31 PM, Whiskey Hayes #41999 said:

Scarlett has great bullets, powder, loaded ammo, hugs and custom molded ear plugs.  She is a faithful supporter of the TN SASS State Championship.  We certainly appreciate what she does for us and all SASS shooters.

I’ve placed an order with her to pick up at the Tn state championship. No need for tracking numbers or lost shipments this way!

Archived