SASS Wire Forum

Are store bought lead bullets getting harder to get?

Warden Callaway

We scored enough large pistol primers to get us through the winter but Sawmill Mary was out of her "lipstick" bullets from Missouri Bullet Company.  We normally phone ahead and go pick them up.  But they have suspended customer pickup sales. So I placed an order for 2k bullets.   The conformation email said to expect a 4-6 week delay in shipping. 

I have been checking the Grafs and Sons website.  They carry all styles of Missouri Bullet Company.  They only showed inventory on about 10%.  Even those had been flagged 5 boxes or less or only one left.

I checked other brands and seen the same low inventory.  

I only ordered a few hundred at a time, but I ordered some last week and got them in about 5 days.  Other places I've seen have lead bullets in stock.  These are smaller shops that advertise here and on the internet, not big stores that deal in general shooting supplies.

My problem is I got caught flat-footed on Primers (not realizing I was down to my last 1000) and can;t find them anywhere.  I'm gonna have to ask some pards that have a few bricks if they are willing to sell me a few hundred to get through the season's monthly matches.

'

PS: just a few minutes after I posted this a pard saw this post and offered to get me a couple bricks of primers at the next match.  SASS shooters are great!

Try using a SASS Affiliated merchant .... there are LOTS of cowboy owned bullet businesses who would be glad to help you out. I’m shipping bullets every day. 

Big hugs!
Scarlett

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Some of the bullet makers are behind on their own but some say it's more of a question of when usps will deliver them to customers.. they can't guarantee their usual delivery time.

We have started using UPS to ship because the delays at USPS have been as long as 8 days at some processing places and lost parcels. And, it is hard keeping up with such insane demand!  We do have PLENTY of lead - rest assured! :wub:

Big hugs!

Scarlett

5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Try using a SASS Affiliated merchant .... there are LOTS of cowboy owned bullet businesses who would be glad to help you out. I’m shipping bullets every day. 

Big hugs!
Scarlett

Missouri Bullet Company is a SASS affiliated company.   And give a SASS discount.  

https://www.missouribullet.com/

Just now, Warden Callaway said:

Missouri Bullet Company is a SASS affiliated company.   And give a SASS discount.  

As am I however, I’ve never been to a match that they sponsored or were vending at... I sponsor every match I attend and work extremely hard, (as do other cowboy owned bullet makers) to support this sport and those who participate in it. For example, Winter Range 2021 I will be a stage sponsor. That’s. $3,000 commitment - cash and merchandise.That will be the biggest financial commitment to date - most are $250-$750 depending on match - cash/cash and merchandise. No, I don’t offer a 5% discount because I “give” to EVERY SASS member - whether you’re my customer or not - through my sponsorships and donations.  I’m not knocking MBC. They have their business plan and I have mine however, my INVESTMENT in the sport is from my heart... and don’t forget... Free Hug with Purchase! :wub:

Big hugs!

Scarlett

10 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Big hugs!

Thanks Scarlett. Do you use the usps priority boxes? If so have you seen longer shipping times lately? That's what some makers are saying. Others admit that they are behind on bullet production.

Scarlett,  we bought bullets from you at Black Gold and Sparta. (Actually from Tommy while you were shooting)

But Sawmill Mary is fixed on using the MBC Hi-Tek bullets for her 44WCF.  When we go pick them up, it's like a shopping trip. I had to do some reasoning with her to let me order online.  It took a week of thinking about it.   (I cast most of my own bullets.)  

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

As am I however, I’ve never been to a match that they sponsored or were vending at... I sponsor every match I attend and work extremely hard, (as do other cowboy owned bullet makers) to support this sport and those who participate in it. For example, Winter Range 2021 I will be a stage sponsor. That’s. $3,000 commitment - cash and merchandise.That will be the biggest financial commitment to date - most are $250-$750 depending on match - cash/cash and merchandise. No, I don’t offer a 5% discount because I “give” to EVERY SASS member - whether you’re my customer or not - through my sponsorships and donations.  I’m not knocking MBC. They have their business plan and I have mine however, my INVESTMENT in the sport is from my heart... and don’t forget... Free Hug with Purchase! :wub:

Big hugs!

Scarlett

#TRUTH

Kajun

44 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Thanks Scarlett. Do you use the usps priority boxes? If so have you seen longer shipping times lately? That's what some makers are saying. Others admit that they are behind on bullet production.

Well until this week - we’ve now started using UPS ground because the US Mail was having so many issues.... one package had duplicate tracking numbers - one was Amazon and one was me - USPS issued them. My customers package went to CA instead of Texas. Then, another package SAT for TEN DAYS showed in transit...  PLUS, the mail volume is so high with everyone ordering so much. We are behind too - but catching up... 

Big hugs! 
Scarlett

@Warden Callaway somehow I KNEW you’d post that video! :wub:  What a fun time that was - that was when we met!  August 2015. What a great match.  

Big hugs!

Scarlett

PS @lickskillet charlie - check out the video... You’ll see I REALLY DO ride a broom! 

I normally get my bullets from Outlaw bullets/ Waimea but his website is showing everything out of stock. I have a few more matches worth of 44's left but then i'll be using my 45's for a few months. If he's still out by the end of fall i'll be reduced to shooting 38's for the winter. :unsure: 

8 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I normally get my bullets from Outlaw bullets/ Waimea but his website is showing everything out of stock. I have a few more matches worth of 44's left but then i'll be using my 45's for a few months. If he's still out by the end of fall i'll be reduced to shooting 38's for the winter. :unsure: 

Heaven forbid! PM me I might have a couple boxes of Outlaw 44s I could spare if he doesn't get restocked.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Heaven forbid! PM me I might have a couple boxes of Outlaw 44s I could spare if he doesn't get restocked.

I might take you up on that if things get too rough. 38's just dont smoke enough for my taste. :lol: But I did just pick up a pair of OMV's in 357 so..... 

I get my bullets from Ringer's Bullets, who is a pard and member here.
I require Hi-Tek (lipstick) soft cast (BHN=9) and Ringer runs 'em for me at 6,000 units per order.
I am 100% delighted.

I was in a Scheel's store last week and thought I'd pick up a box or two of SNS 230 grain .45acp RN... no cast bullets at all. NONE. In ANY caliber. 

Unrelated to bullets.   

Sawmill Mary orded some yarn from a company in the north west. Washington or Oregon?  It shipped out of Ohio.   Weeks past and tracking showed it was in Indiana.  She'd check every couple of days and it was still in Indiana.  She'd called the company and they assured her to be patient.  It was on the way.   Finally she called to cancelled the order.  The very nice lady refunded her money and apologised.   A couple of days later, the yarn shows up under our mailbox.  Turned out a whole tractor trailer load of mail had been setting in some post office depot for a month.  Mary got on the phone with the company and ask for a return shipping lable.  They negotiated a discount and she kept the yarn.

Usps is definitely slowing down. A three day package is now taking around two weeks. I make and sell lead shot. 65 pounds for $120. Post office loses one in five and is one of my best customers lately. Tracking shows it departing the regional sorting facility and then nothing. One package showed up 5 weeks later. No wonder they are going broke.

Fox

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Unrelated to bullets.   

A couple of days later, the yarn shows up under our mailbox.  Mary got on the phone with the company and ask for a return shipping lable.  They negotiated a discount and she kept the yarn.

I just had the same experience buying Rubbermade Roughneck tubs from Walmart.
The shipper futzed around for over a month, then only sent half an order (6).
Walmart apologized, said keep the tubs, gave me a 100% full refund.

18 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

We scored enough large pistol primers to get us through the winter but Sawmill Mary was out of her "lipstick" bullets from Missouri Bullet Company.  We normally phone ahead and go pick them up.  But they have suspended customer pickup sales. So I placed an order for 2k bullets.   The conformation email said to expect a 4-6 week delay in shipping. 

I have been checking the Grafs and Sons website.  They carry all styles of Missouri Bullet Company.  They only showed inventory on about 10%.  Even those had been flagged 5 boxes or less or only one left.

I checked other brands and seen the same low inventory.  

I placed a order from them about 3 weeks ago and have them all now , they came in 2 shipments , probably what they were making at the time . My 9mm just showed up last week . 

I ship goods to customers a few times a week, not a big volume guy. In 14 years using USPS Flat Rate boxes they have never lost even 1. Can't say that for UPS nor DHL.

I have noticed that the 2-3 days delivery on Flat Rates has become 3-5 days on some things. And yet I order stuff from China( parts for my sidecar) and it is here in 2 weeks or less. My main gripe is people I order from and they print up a label but the tracking doesn't start for 4 days or more, and they blame it on the USPS, when I know they just didn't ship it yet. Don't piss down my neck.....

I understand Missouri Bullet Company has a USPS truck come out of Kansas City USPS distribution hub every day to pick up bullets.  That should eliminate one middle stop.

597e0998bba78_BadmanBulletsarriveJuly2017.jpg.8a5ecb16fce142ea560ed58de6af1d0d.jpg

Our mail lady.  We have a man doing rural delivery now. This lady had a bad wreck and got stove up really bad.

I just ordered from Missouri Bullet, the invoice and confirmation email both said to expect a 4-6 week delivery time.  My order arrived the same as always in four days.

I just love their BP lubed bullets for my 44-40.

2 minutes ago, Tracker Jack Daniels,58780 said:

I just ordered from Missouri Bullet, the invoice and confirmation email both said to expect a 4-6 week delivery time.  My order arrived the same as always in four days.

I just love their BP lubed bullets for my 44-40.

I'm thinking the response was a generic statement.  I can wait 4-6 weeks without a problem.  But I figure if they have my bullets in stock,  they will ship sooner.  

I figure they are making 9mm,10mm,45, 300 blackout,  etc like crazy. Last shortage they were running two shifts and doubled their capacity besides. 

I ordered bullets and 250 loaded rounds of .38spl with red bullets fro Scarlett. She has good stuff and I'm a customer now. Her loaded .38's are just a little lighter than what I load but they shoot fine! ;)

She owes me TWO hugs too!!!:wub:

I checked for some non-SASS bullets from casters. Most state 6 to 8 week delay. There are no 9mm cast,  jacketed or as loaded. I would assume most companies are setup to run what sells and it sells out immediately. They are not going to shut down a line to change to another bullet/caliber. A local indoor gun range/shop claims they get a pallet load of ammunition every morning and it is gone by noon. If a company is selling ammunition that fast all primers are going for loaded ammo. Can't even find 9mm molds. Kind of comes down to order and wait or wait and order.

Archived