SASS Wire Forum

APP and Loading the 45-70

High Spade Mikey Wilson

Well pards I need some advice. I have a Taylor 1874 Sharps rifle in 45-70 that I currently reload for using Trail Boss powder and a 300 grain cast bullet. I'd like to try loading those same 300 gr. cast bullets with APP FFg powder, but I can't seem to find a load for it. The APP website has a load recommendation but it's for a 405 gr. cast bullet. Anyone know where I can find an APP load for that 300 gr. bullet, or have maybe one they are using? Thanks!

Unlike real BP, APP doesn't like compression. So fill the case with enough powder so that when you seat the bullet it just touches the powder with no compression. This works for any cartridge and any bullet weight when using APP. 

+1 Sedalia Dave.

Real bp gets about 1/16" to 1/8" compression.

Pyrodex about 1/16".

APP and 777 are touching flush across a flat bullet base. (I do get about 1/32") to make sure there is no void.

Also, if stored for a long time(6 months or more) the powder load will likely settle.

On mine, I use a Walters Wad between the APP and the bullet.

Works well

--Dawg

8 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

+1 Sedalia Dave.

Real bp gets about 1/16" to 1/8" compression.

Pyrodex about 1/16".

APP and 777 are touching flush across a flat bullet base. (I do get about 1/32") to make sure there is no void.

Also, if stored for a long time(6 months or more) the powder load will likely settle.

Some BP wants about 3/8" compression in BPCR loads. ;)

OLG

Archived