SASS Wire Forum

In praise of the "Box of Holsters"

DeaconKC

Yup, digging through the "box of holsters" we all have paid off as I found some forgotten ones that will work as starters for CAS. Actually, it was box #2 or 3...

How many of us have this phenomenon of multiplying holsters, belts, etc?

Got one of them boxes myownselfen, some of the contents were actually very attractive holsters in their earlier days.  At times I would even mix/match the various pieces in the way I imagined most old timers would have had to do in order to have a whole rig.  I suspect that money for working leather would have been pretty hard to come by from the end of the CW through the start of the next century! 

This is only my second year of being a sass member and I have 3 or 4 belts, half a dozen holsters, and probably the same number of shot shell slides. I'm terrible about buying used gear that I like the looks of better than what i'm using or if it looks like it'll work better for me. 

7 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

This is only my second year of being a sass member and I have 3 or 4 belts, half a dozen holsters, and probably the same number of shot shell slides. I'm terrible about buying used gear that I like the looks of better than what i'm using or if it looks like it'll work better for me. 

Welcome Brother...

11 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Jack, what you need to do is make a list of all the features you want, and then go to a custom maker and get the most expensive thing they make.  I mean, hurts bad in the wallet expensive, and then you will find you suddenly don't think that other used gear looks better any more.

:)

I don't really have too much stuff I'm not using.  One for sure is the gunshow Mexican buscadero rig and crossdraw I started out with.   After that I had two rigs, one Mernickle and one made by a friend, that I used for 15 years or so before getting some great deals on web belts and using them now as well.  But except for a few odds and ends holsters, I mostly still use almost everything I've got, at least occasionally.  I tend to use a lot of different guns as well, guess I like variety.

Now, conceal carry holsters?  That's a different box.  (The sock drawer, actually).  Not too many there, because I found a few years ago that I liked and sticking with them.

48 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Jack, what you need to do is make a list of all the features you want, and then go to a custom maker and get the most expensive thing they make.  I mean, hurts bad in the wallet expensive, and then you will find you suddenly don't think that other used gear looks better any more

Lol I just got my custom holsters and shotgun belt. I have a stock cover and gun belt being made as we speak. But those are all for my main match guns. I'll still need other holsters for my back ups and their back ups lol. I'm terrible about stuff like this. I keep lying to myself about guns too. I swear this is the last one that I need. 

16 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Lol I just got my custom holsters and shotgun belt. I have a stock cover and gun belt being made as we speak. But those are all for my main match guns. I'll still need other holsters for my back ups and their back ups lol. I'm terrible about stuff like this. I keep lying to myself about guns too. I swear this is the last one that I need. 

My various '51 conversions all fit the same holsters as my SAAs, so things were simpler for a long time until I got some Type II ('60, '61) conversions and the big bump under the barrel wouldn't fit any of those holsters!  So I had try them in anything I found to make sure they would fit.

2 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

........................................... I keep lying to myself about guns too. I swear this is the last one that I need. 

Your lying to yourself about lying.   :P

Several years ago I started making my own leather

I now have more belts and holsters than I can count

And I always want to make another rig, just to do something different

Because I don't need to make a living at this, I enjoy making rigs for those just starting out at a price that lets me replace the supplies I use

Abilene, I found the same to be true for my '60 Armies also, they fit into many of the holsters designed for the SAA Colt model.  When I purchased a pair of Ruger Bearcats for my Grandkids I also found that they fit very well into a pair of holsters made for my pair of '49 Colt .31s.  Dave I keep wanting to jump back in and make a new rig or two for some of my C&B revolvers with the many various accessories needed to accompany them.  These guys who play with the cartridge guns have no idea how many extra toys grow up around the black powder burners!  Gun tinkering also takes on a whole new meaning when it becomes about cap and ball pistols, bp cartridge rifles and shotguns and no one notices if a suppository shooter has a knife or not BUT a Frontiersman without a great big ole knife dangling from his waist or sticking out of his boot, well it just looks unnatural!    

When I opened this thread, I thought, "Well, that's not me............"

Until I started looking and counting.

I think I may need help.

On 8/20/2020 at 11:40 PM, Turkey Flats Jack said:

It's not a sport, or even an avocation,; it's an obsession.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 7:50 PM, Grizzly Dave said:

If anyone finds a 1911 left handed carry holster, keep me in mind :D

I’ve got a few. That’s how I got into building gunleather, I couldn’t find left handed 1911 holsters I could afford so I decided to make my own. 

9F7F11DE-1AF9-4F3B-9F19-FCD4CBFE4BA8.jpeg

7263C02B-766F-4972-A0D5-D33893E8798B.jpeg

Archived