SASS Wire Forum

Muzzle loaders

ORNERY OAF

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

For shooting out to 600 yards I would choose a Whitworth hands down. You have to cast your own bullets but it would be worth it.

I can’t even see my house at 600 yards! :lol::lol:

OK too late to turn back now, just ordered the rifle from. DIXIE!!! SHOULD SHIP MONDAY! very excited. And I never though but using an alcohol swab, excellent,  got a bunch of those laying around,  thanks WK...I did order some pre-lubed patches .

25 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

OK too late to turn back now, just ordered the rifle from. DIXIE!!! SHOULD SHIP MONDAY! very excited. And I never though but using an alcohol swab, excellent,  got a bunch of those laying around,  thanks WK...I did order some pre-lubed patches .

Bwaa-haa-ha-ha.....!!!     Devil

Welcome to the Smoky and Stinky Side~!!  :lol:

So ~ wha'd ya git??   :)

Lymen Great plains rifle 54cal. Percussion. This is to go right next my Shiloh 45-90 the wife got me for my birthday this year.I've been shooting the holy black with my 44-40s in sass matches,  pale rider gunfighter, this seems like a natural progression. 

So "Double Oh!"  Have ya started laying in all the accessories yet?

Possibles bag?  Powder horn and measure?  Mold?  Patch knife?  'Hawk?  Proper hat?   cowboy.gif

You made an investment in fun...Your face will get really tired from grinning so much! 

Just think...you will get to experience what your great-great-great-grandmother experienced, as she defended the Studebaker Conestoga, or the bunk house, or the homestead, against the hostiles, with her Hawken rifle, while your great-great-great-grandfather was down at the settlement quaffin' what passed for whiskey, at the local watering hole. 

Keep us all informed as to how it all goes. We are all rooting for you to have an amazingly great time with this. 

For any newcomers to muzzle-loading, out there, reading this thread...be sure to mark your ramrod, and/or loading rod, so you will know that the patched round lead ball is down on the powder charge....where it's gotta be!  .   

As the old saying goes..."Hawken made the west safe for Winchester". 

Yer Ole Saddle Pal.

W.K.

38 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So "Double Oh!"  Have ya started laying in all the accessories yet?

Possibles bag?  Powder horn and measure?  Mold?  Patch knife?  'Hawk?  Proper hat?   cowboy.gif

Man for using a gun from the 1800s, I'm sure spending  money in the 2020s,lol....my dad and I do a bit of leather work, so I'm gonna make my possible bag, probably make my own knife, got a hawk already..need to get on the clothes. I got a big bull horn from years ago, gonna make that into a powder horn if I can find it :)

3 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Man for using a gun from the 1800s, I'm sure spending  money in the 2020s,lol....my dad and I do a bit of leather work, so I'm gonna make my possible bag, probably make my own knife, got a hawk already..need to get on the clothes. I got a big bull horn from years ago, gonna make that into a powder horn if I can find it :)

Attaboy!!  ^_^

Dangit... now I have a hankerin' to make a couple of new possibles bags!  Gonna have to find a good pattern or two.  Or heck... design my own.  

12 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Dixie used to sell wood plugs for making your own horn.

6 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Attaboy!!  ^_^

Dangit... now I have a hankerin' to make a couple of new possibles bags!  Gonna have to find a good pattern or two.  Or heck... design my own.  

Yeah you don’t need no dang pattern. Just shoot something, skin it, tan the hide, cut it up with your patch knife,  and stitch it together while you sit at the campfire with a jug of corn likker.

Note: The likker tends to make stitchin straight a bit of a challenge.

Don’t ask me how I know.

:D

I've been shooting trail walks for about 5 years, and I'm still adding stuff.  Last buy was a Polish capper.  I'm planning to shoot my snail capper and give it a decent burial.  

Yep...it does take a lot of stuff to shoot a muzzle-loader, for sure. But, you are building your own loads, right there in the field, and it takes some time, and some stuff, to get this done. Possibles' bags, vent pick, patches, lube, round lead bullets, a short starter, patch puller attachment, bullet puller attachment, cleaning jag, powder, extra flints, or percussion caps, powder horn, or flask, powder measure tool, small screw-driver, perhaps some tow, or cleaning patches. 

I reckon that is why various wars lasted so dad-blame long, back then. Not only does it take time to load, shoot, and reload....once you shoot, you have to wait until the smoke clears to see if you hit anything. 

If a body is impatient, then muzzle-loading ain't for them. 

For more instant gratification, try them new-fangled cat'ridge weepons! However...I doubt they will catch on. 

Danged yankee rifles that you load on Sunday, and shoot all week!!!  

W.K.

3 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Finding the correct patch thickness and lube your rifle likes is a real asset. 

YS, that is a great website...just registered, looking through the marketplace there will git me in more trouble. Saw a couple familiar names on there too...thanks you!

Utah Bob, ya, dangit, i shoulda ordered those when i ordered my rifle today..oh well, still gotta find that dang horn

Archived