Smoke in the San fran bay area

Dirty Dog Doug

Today was first day we could smell the smoke 

the first pic should show the Oakland coliseum , just smoke  now

local news said 30 plus fires around the bay 

plus  power cuts cause CA removed 10 gigawatts of  Natural gas power plants 

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

Down here in the Paso Robles area it's the same, Really bad since Sunday. Supposedly blowing down the Salinas valley from up Salinas way

And I can't get my 6-cylinder Dodge Ram smog checked 'cause of an occasional cylinder #2 misfire.   :(

By the way - just north of Fresno the sky is completely overcast with smoke.  Smells narsty.  

Yesterday about 6 p.m. I took our dog out to piddle.  It was still about 98F and there was alts of ash in the air.   This was in the NE part of Santa Rosa,  a fair way from the fires.  

Lots of ash in the air today. 

One beneficial side effect ~ forecast for today was 108° (we get 3 - 4 degrees above forecast), but it only hit 89°.

Much appreciated relief.   

From pics I have seen it will be worse before it gets any better 

367 fires across Nor Cal

the overworked firefighter are defended buildings the best they can 

27 minutes ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

From pics I have seen it will be worse before it gets any better 

367 fires across Nor Cal

the overworked firefighter are defended buildings the best they can 

Heard on the radio this morning that they are now understaffed over fears of prison crews and volunteers spreading the corona virus.

Travis AFB has ordered all Non essential workers and family to evacuate 

Lots of other cities are ordering  evacuations 

Lots of "Open  Spaces" are now burned 

For those of us that do not live in California, we figure the dry conditions, lack of adequate rainfall, and carelessness with campfires, to name just three things, play a part in all this. 

The question I have is...is there anything that can be done, that isn't being done now, to help make these fires somewhat more preventable, or to help make them somewhat less destructive?

You Pards, who live out there, are the one's that, like as not, will have some ideas on this. 

Perhaps everything that can be done, is being done, but the fly in the buttermilk is, we who don't live there, just don't know.

We hate it so bad that folks, that live there, can lose everything, and have to start over...or try to start over. We know some things, that are lost, cannot be replaced. 

It's a sad thing. 

W.K.

43 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

the dry conditions, lack of adequate rainfall, and carelessness with campfires, to name just three things, play a part in all this. 

The question I have is...is there anything that can be done, that isn't being done now, to help make these fires somewhat more preventable, or to help make them somewhat less destructive?

Most of these big ones were. I think, started by lightning strikes - although arson may play a part in one.  Up here we haven't seen significant rain since May.  A few 1/100s now and then.

What we are seeing is almost a century of total containment (put out every fire as fast as possible), coupled with poor management (few controlled burns or other clearing of underburden), coupled with the anti-logging mentality, coupled with urban boundries that run hard up against wild land, usually chaparral , with no decent cleared zone between, and with poor choice of building materials, coupled with more people building deep into forest or brush with one lane access.

In the Tubbs Fire in 2017 we saw the urban version of a Crown Fire  with the strong wind advancing embers from roof to roof as the fire came out of the hills down to the Santa Rosa Plane.
Timeline for it:

1.jpg

Wine Country fires: A deadly inferno's first hours - San Francisco Chronicle
From Calistoga to Coffee Park is about 17 miles.   It took about 6 hours to get there.  

Here is some of the terrain it went through, primarily Porter Creek, but also the 2nd image.

Here is what a Berkeley Fire Dept. crew saw coming into Santa Rosa.

1 Porter Creek Road.png

!A Calistoga Road.png

yes we could cut trees down but in CA that just about  illegal

most of these fires are from lighting  and poor forest management 

last year fires where blamed on our power people  PGE 

but if  homeowner tree falls in power lines and starts a fire  who fault it it ?

most of time we have one local fire  and  firefighters from all over come to snuff it out fast 

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Most of these big ones were. I think, started by lightning strikes - although arson may play a part in one.  Up here we haven't seen significant rain since May.  A few 1/100s now and then.

What we are seeing is almost a century of total containment (put out every fire as fast as possible), coupled with poor management (few controlled burns or other clearing of underburden), coupled with the anti-logging mentality, coupled with urban boundries that run hard up against wild land, usually chaparral , with no decent cleared zone between, and with poor choice of building materials, coupled with more people building deep into forest or brush with one lane access.

In the Tubbs Fire in 2017 we saw the urban version of a Crown Fire  with the strong wind advancing embers from roof to roof as the fire came out of the hills down to the Santa Rosa Plane.
Timeline for it:

1.jpg

Wine Country fires: A deadly inferno's first hours - San Francisco Chronicle
From Calistoga to Coffee Park is about 17 miles.   It took about 6 hours to get there.  

Here is some of the terrain it went through, primarily Porter Creek, but also the 2nd image.

Here is what a Berkeley Fire Dept. crew saw coming into Santa Rosa.

1 Porter Creek Road.png

!A Calistoga Road.png

Bingo. 

Archived