SASS Wire Forum

Frankfort Arsenal Pile Driver Bullet puller

Hoss

If you are like me, you have a box full of rounds that aren’t quite right for whatever reason. If you want to recover components you have to use an impact hammer or collet- puller. Neither of which I have had much luck with. I’ve whacked those hammers until they broke and still not gotten the Bullet out. 
Read about the FA Pile Driver. Decided to try one out. ($50 on Amazon) it works well. I’ve tried 38sp, 38-55, 45-70.  An occasional one took two tries. The components wind up in a cup. Also has a hose attachment so you can dump it to a jug as the cup will fill up pretty quickly. 

works as advertised. Now I have a box of bullets to pull apart!

The hammer type bullet pullers work very well if you read the instructions that come with them. Use wood to whack them on, a block of any type of wood will work just stand it on end and hit the puller on the END GRAIN of the wood. I have pulled bullets from 7.62X54 factory military ammo and it works fine. Been using mine for 20 years with no problem.

kR

Yeah ... with 90 grain bullets and a heavy crimp they should pop out of there in about 6-7 pulls ... You will look feel like Herc by the time you do the 10 before lunch (and your wife will be asking you why you are firing a gun in the garage). ^_^

I always liked the "hammer" type ... worked quick and easy w/ 200gr 45s ... but when I switched over to shooting 38s in the revolvers it just got a little too violent ... and way too much trouble (that is when I started to break some of the plastic hammer pullers that I had been using for years). It seemed like the money I was "saving" from the recovered (small caliber) componets was no where near the cost of a single replacement bullet puller. 

Sooooooooooo ... now ... I just wave goodbye to them as they retire to the plastic hazmat (ammo dump) jug (that the city picks up for free once a year) ... s10.gif.5437c2819cedaf2399f9d706d492834e.gif  

I’m not too worried about the 38sp, but the 45-70 and especially the 45-60 cases are good to get back! 

Interesting device, good timing, as I may well be pulling some .45 loads apart.  Looked at the collet type that work in the press, but they're generally not so good for pistol length bullets, and the hammer type can damage the lead rounds (not that I'm saving them). 

Just came across this and almost bought it, but I'm going to use my slip jaw pliers first to test the idea out.

https://grip-n-pull.com/

6 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

The hammer type bullet pullers work very well if you read the instructions that come with them. Use wood to whack them on, a block of any type of wood will work just stand it on end and hit the puller on the END GRAIN of the wood. I have pulled bullets from 7.62X54 factory military ammo and it works fine. Been using mine for 20 years with no problem.

kR

I agree with this.  I used a Dillon for twenty years on cartridges of all sizes until it eventually broke, and I was pounding it on a steel dolly.

Thanks for posting this. My old inertial finally died and might use this to replace it.

1 hour ago, ShadowCatcher said:

Interesting device, good timing, as I may well be pulling some .45 loads apart.  Looked at the collet type that work in the press, but they're generally not so good for pistol length bullets, and the hammer type can damage the lead rounds (not that I'm saving them). 

Just came across this and almost bought it, but I'm going to use my slip jaw pliers first to test the idea out.

https://grip-n-pull.com/

I tried a grip n pull. No bueno. Your results may vary! 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I tried a grip n pull. No bueno. Your results may vary! 

Thanks for the heads up.

I was going to use my Channel lock pliers to grip the bullet instead of that $49 tool.

I haven't seen any collet types that are reliable for lead round nose bullets.

If it works, great, if not, then a few hundred or more rounds are heading to the fire dept. for disposal.

SC

Shadow, if they aren't overloaded, maybe someone else like a new shooter could use them?

As fate would have it, I loaded about 50 38-55 tonite with no primer. I’ve never had my 550 primer system act up. Still not sure what the pro was. Pulled it apart, cleaned it, working fine now. I guess some gunk fouked it up somehow. 

Gonna give the PileDriver a workout. Definitely want the hose instead if the cup tho. 

If I just have a couple I use a RCBS hammer type.  It takes not a hit but a snap ( iguess i would call it)  works great

If I am pulling several I use a hornady collet type and it works really nicely on any thing I feed it.  

On 8/19/2020 at 2:52 PM, DeaconKC said:

Shadow, if they aren't overloaded, maybe someone else like a new shooter could use them?

I'm reluctant to give reloaded ammo to another shooter to risk in their guns, even though

these are near minimum Trail Boss loads.  If there was a bad load in the bunch and it

damaged another person's guns I'd feel guilty as hell.

• 3 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, ShadowCatcher said:

I'm reluctant to give reloaded ammo to another shooter to risk in their guns, even though

these are near minimum Trail Boss loads.  If there was a bad load in the bunch and it

damaged another person's guns I'd feel guilty as hell.

a lot of the bullets I have to pull are in the "not safe to shoot category" for some reason or another.  

Also, sorry for reviving this old thread, I forget sometimes that I'm browsing old stuff.

Here is a video I made a few years back on an easy way to pull bullets, its what I use and it works pretty well.

Kajun

Archived