SASS Wire Forum

Widder's Surgery Update 08/20

3 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Yee haw! Don't anyone tell him that I took out his goozle (and I'm not giving it back).

thegoozle.jpg

Would that be like getting Bamgoozled?

Way to go Widder, I knew you could do it. Prayers up for a complete and quick recovery.

Eyesa & Ellie

On 8/18/2020 at 4:25 PM, Sixgun Seamus said:

Great news. We all knew he'd beat this. Now to more important business. There is a motion on the floor to grant Widder's nurses hazardous duty pay. Do I have a second.:P

What have they done to warrant such punishment?

The old codger is improving. He's walking the halls and fussing at people today. 

They did have to run a senility test on him because every time one of his monitors beeped, he tried to draw his pistols. Really made a mess in the restroom.:ph34r:

Just now, Tequila Shooter said:

@Tennessee williams I hope that you were kind enough to bring him some ice cream.  And tell him we're all rootin' for him!

He's way too busy directing the construction of the DQ that's going up on the route to Tennessee Mountain Marauder's range...

Widder, glad to hear you're up and about.

Spoke to Widder for a few minutes. He sounded good but is anxious to be home & get some real food; BBQ, hamburgers & Mexican food. He didn't mention ice cream or nanner splits. Told me to come on over soon so we could go out on the farm and shoot. Glad my pard is doing well.

Vaya con Dios, Keystone

Here's the update:

Its Saturday evening and I'm home.    and feel lousy and have trouble typing.

I finally felt like eatiin.   I believe anathesiaa messes up your taste buds;

Bypass surgery is one thing.   Valve replacement is another.    Together, they suck.

I have 44 staples in my chest.  Plus, 3 nice slices in my legs and 6 nice slices in my belly above the navel.

These do not include various, smaller puctures and cuts and IV marks on my body, including the stitches that held the

drain tube in place on my belly and the urine catheter

All this walking exercisize has gotta be after I sleep another day....really.

All in all, they do a great job keeping you pain free and curing your ailments.

But in reality, its something you plan to have done while out of the public view for about 1 year while you heal, then get well and

get back into public view again

I wanna THANK everyone for all their prayers, thoughts and well wishes.  Thanks to Keystone and TN Williams for keeping folks

updated.    And I will admitt to harassing Red Knee while in the hopital.    He was really looking forward to getting ole #4..... :lol:

I could say more but tiredness creeps in fast and I get worn out quickly.

Thanks everyone.

..........Wkdd/////    This is what Widder and most of my typing actually looked like before I went back and corrected it.

Welcome home! Get your strength back!

Welcome home.

Rest and take things easy. It's going to take a while before you're back to your old self.

Heal up and hair over best you can!!  

Get well soon, my friend!!!

22 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

about 1 year while you heal, then get well and

get back into public view again

One year?   Really?

Pay attention to using the pillow to cover your chest when you caught.  Dad had open heart surgery and after he was home a week he broke open.  They took him back in to stitch him up.  But he developed staph infection.   They had to operate again and put him isolation for six months.   (Sorry for the horror story)

Widder,  It took a year for the incisions in my left leg not to feel cold to the touch & 4 years before the numbness above my left breast to go away.  Definitely follow the aftercare instructions to the tee.  I was told don't put more than 10lbs force per arm for 6 months.  After 3 months I did 30 min's on a rowing machine; because, I was winded or sore.  I paid for it the next day.  I couldn't use the rowing machine for 2 weeks & then I built up from 5 min's to 30 min's over another 3 months. 

P.S. I am glad your hospital stay went as planned.  I am praying for your smooth recovery.  From my experience where CAVG surgery was elective.  While the only fix for blocked cardiac arteries was surgery the cardiologist stated it could be as long as 10 years before my quality of life would deteriorate to point where it would be necessary.  While I was somewhat apprehensive about the surgery I decided to get it over with as soon as possible.  Even though I had a couple of complications, PE's & Heparin allergy I am very happy that I had the surgery.  I no longer have angina pains when vigorously exercising and nor have to wear compression socks or have my fingers swell when standing for long periods.

Be patient my friend. Recovery from this surgery is slow but after the pain & soreness subside you'll notice a gradual improvement. In six months you be feeling great. I missed six weeks of work then returned for 3 weeks of half days. Returned to shooting SASS at five months, a little slow but I was shooting. Call me whenever you like and let me know if you need my assistance.

Vaya con Dios, Keystone

PS Do keep a pillow handy in case of a cough or sneeze.

Been off the wire for three months. Keystone, please tell Widder I now have in my  prayers too.  God  Bless   Hoss C.

Widder - through all the ups and downs, through all the pain and healing remember that you have the prayers and love of so many.  You may be hurting and feel weak now but in time the pain will subside and you'll start feeling stronger.  You're home now, think of it this way, they wouldn't have let you go home if you weren't doing better.  Remember this is a marathon not a sprint, push a little everyday but don't over do it.  As the Marines used to say pain is weakness leaving the body.  Stay well my friend.

Archived