SASS Wire Forum

Bond Derringer

Henry T Harrison

I won one of these in a raffle several months ago. It’s the 45/410 three inch model. I finally got around to getting it to the range yesterday 

Lets just say that it was an experience. The top barrel pretty much shot to point of aim the lower barrel was four inches low and four inches left at the range of ten feet which I felt was the distance that the gun would be used at. The trigger was so bad that I kept checking to see if the safety was on. 
I fired one 410 round and that was enough, The pattern was over eighteen inches at ten feet. The back splash fortunately centered on my chest not my face and none penetrated my shirt. I did have to dig one pellet out of my hand. Only five pellets stuck in the plywood backing board. This will now be relegated to the bottom of the safe as useless 

I would relegate it to the consignment shelf at the lgs. I have never liked em.

I had one in 45/410, shot a rattle snake with it in my driveway, twice, it just pissed it off. Went and got the 12 ga and finished it. Called Bond and told them the story, they asked what size shot and hull length. I told them 7 1/2, 3 " shell, their response was that doesn't work very well. Yeh, really. Advised 2 1/2" personal defense load. I bought some and took it out to the range, the 3" 7 1/2 would put about 6 or 7 bb's on an 11x17 target at about 5 feet, the personal defense blew a nice big hole about where I was aiming. Got to try it on another snake a month or so later and it pretty much obliterated his head.  Sold it though, it was just too big too carry for only 2 shots.

Since it’s stainless I think I’ll load it up with a full case of black before I consign it to the bottom of the safe. The smoke and fire should be interesting 

5 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Since it’s stainless I think I’ll load it up with a full case of black before I consign it to the bottom of the safe. The smoke and fire should be interesting 

Shoot that sucker at twilight and get pictures~!  ^_^

I have never understood the attraction to deringers. Good looking paperweights...except for the one I have. It’s a Davis .38 Special. The trigger pull is atrocious. You could hit a guy in the chest at 7 yards, if you throw it. It kicks like a mini mule. 

I actually bought it to use in side matches when I first joined SASS. I never shot a side match with it. It’s to crappy to sell for any money and I am to obstinate to sell it at a gun buyback moronfest. 

I haven’t shot it in 20 years. 

I had a guy at a gun show tell me “Come on over, buy a ticket to win a Bond Derringer.”

My response “Why?”

I have the Cowboy Defender Bond Derringer. 2.75” barrel.  45/410.  No trigger guard. 

Maybe I’m weird, but I have a lot of fun with mine. I tweaked the trigger so it was tolerable. Also installed a rubber grip from Bond. 

It will indeed break clays from station 8 on a skeet field.

With black powder it is awe inspiring. 

Trail Boss and a round ball make for a mild round. 

Splashing mud and water on the farm is always fun. 

To each their own.

I have a Cowboy Bond in 357 Magnum.  I've only shot 38 Specials out of it.  Wife bought it for me as a gift, so I've never got rid of it.  I don't like it much at all.  Trigger is horrible and only get two shots...and that's single action only!

The best use I've got out of it was letting buddies shoot my Bond derringer before they bought one themselves.  None of those buddies bought a Bond derringer.

I have a Maverick Derringer in .45 Colt , ( Made by Uberti ) it will place both shots on a target at 10 yards in the center one just above the other about an inch apart ... Took it to a Match everyone who shot it was able to hit a 16 inch square target at 10 Yards with both shots ....

This is NOT a 410 / .45 Colt it has a fully rifled barrel and will not chamber 410 shells ...

I have placed 10 for 10 on a 16 inch target at 25 yards ....Shoots to point of aim at 20 yards and about 2 inches low at 25 yards ...

Trigger Pull is 5 pounds and has not been tweeked ....

Jabez Cowboy 

On 8/18/2020 at 4:45 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

Several years ago at WR on a rainy side match day three of us shot 50 rounds of full load BP in my 45/410 Bond.

It was a hoot. The other two guys were running the side match and didn't have any other customers.

kR

Archived