SASS Wire Forum

165 gr HBFP ???

Hi gang,

While rummaging around my ammo cache I found a box from the now defunct Ten-X ammo company some 165 gr HBFP's in .45LC.  They have mild recoil compared to the 250's I was used to and even a touch less than some 200's I purchased.  Does anyone sell Cowboy ammo with those bullets or can the bullets themselves be purchased separately?  

MC

Bear Creek may have what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Do they have to be hollow base?  If not you can look here Bullets by Scarlett she has both coated and non-coated 160gr bullets.

I use the 160's in my .45's, when I use them for Cowboy shooting.

I really like them.    Scarlett is great to do business with.

..........Widder

@SHOOTIN FOX sells some 135gr Barnstormer Bullets with a hollow base, they're pretty light recoil.

I've had success with lead round balls as well, they're 140gr; Springfield Slim has good prices on these.

Lot of casters make a 160gr bullet, just not hollow base; @Scarlett is a favorite around here :wub:

Wyamaia makes a 170gr.  It shoots really well!  Scarlet's 160 are great too!!

Thanks all.  The thing about the Ten-X 165 HBFP is that the bullet is just as long as a regular 250/255 only with a hollow base so one can use it in rifle & pistol.  The only thing I remember is one has to be careful with the charge of gunpowder because of the hollow base!  I'm wondering if it was a patented bullet from Ten-X that can no longer be had???

MC

@Marshal Cogburn SASS # 8454 I've got 45 C ammo that is a nice soft load...approaches 150 PF... its a 200gr bullet HI-Tek coated bullet and 4.5 gr Clean Shot and a Federal Primer.  Like the 38s these are out of stock but IN process...If I have a few from my WB stash when I ship your ammo I will throw some in there.  Gunfighters, Duelists and other shooters really like them...  Don't know anything about the Tex-X ammo.

Take care and big hugs!

Scarlett

18 hours ago, Marshal Cogburn SASS # 8454 said:

Hi gang,

While rummaging around my ammo cache I found a box from the now defunct Ten-X ammo company some 165 gr HBFP's in .45LC.  They have mild recoil compared to the 250's I was used to and even a touch less than some 200's I purchased.  Does anyone sell Cowboy ammo with those bullets or can the bullets themselves be purchased separately?  

MC

They are expensive, as they are hard to make.  Matt's Bullets - Hollow Base Wad Cutters

The 165gr was a proprietary bullet used to make the Ten-X Outlaw cartridge.  I used them in 2002 in my pistols at EoT.  Bought them there.  At that time, the bullet was seated below the mouth of the case.  When that was no longer allowed by SASS, the bullet was seated so that some of it protruded past the case mouth.  Ten-X himself has passed on, and the company, located in CA, no longer does civilian sales.  

They were used to take up more room in the case, before the Cowboy 45 Special cartridge case came along so that you could use a light bullet and much less powder.  Full Wadcutter bullets do not feed well in rifles.  (Some, not at all).

Much better off, and cheaper, to use the proper size case for the bullet wt you'd like.   A 160gr bullet in a C45S case or a Schofield case is a better choice. 

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

@Marshal Cogburn SASS # 8454 I've got 45 C ammo that is a nice soft load...approaches 150 PF... its a 200gr bullet HI-Tek coated bullet and 4.5 gr Clean Shot and a Federal Primer.  Like the 38s these are out of stock but IN process...If I have a few from my WB stash when I ship your ammo I will throw some in there.  Gunfighters, Duelists and other shooters really like them...  Don't know anything about the Tex-X ammo.

Take care and big hugs!

Scarlett

2 hours ago, McCandless said:

They are expensive, as they are hard to make.  Matt's Bullets - Hollow Base Wad Cutters

The 165gr was a proprietary bullet used to make the Ten-X Outlaw cartridge.  I used them in 2002 in my pistols at EoT.  Bought them there.  At that time, the bullet was seated below the mouth of the case.  When that was no longer allowed by SASS, the bullet was seated so that some of it protruded past the case mouth.  Ten-X himself has passed on, and the company, located in CA, no longer does civilian sales.  

They were used to take up more room in the case, before the Cowboy 45 Special cartridge case came along so that you could use a light bullet and much less powder.  Full Wadcutter bullets do not feed well in rifles.  (Some, not at all).

Much better off, and cheaper, to use the proper size case for the bullet wt you'd like.   A 160gr bullet in a C45S case or a Schofield case is a better choice. 

Thank you for the history.  I did not know the specifics of that bullet.  I want to load one round for rifle and pistol and stay with the .45 LC case so it looks like the 200’s are the way to go!

11 hours ago, Marshal Cogburn SASS # 8454 said:

Ok, sounds like I’ll try some 45’s too...

You’re on that list, too! 

big hugs!

Scarlett

Archived