SASS Wire Forum

Longmire

Whiskey Hicks

I read the books because I liked the show so much.

You're mind's eye will mess with you trying to match the TV characters up with the books.

(I actually like the books a lot.)

There is one main character in the book who didn't make it to primetime, but it would've been hard to fully capture Dog on the small screen.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Is anyone a fan or has anyone read the books?

I very much enjoyed the first few seasons of the show, but I felt Netflix didn’t do as good as AnE.

Most of us.  ^_^

7 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I've read them all. The author is still writing the series. TV was good, books are better.

New book out next month. :D

4 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I watched about 8 episodes on netflik and then it just became kind of a soap opera and I quit watching it.

These days, it has about come down to watch soap operas or don't watch anything.  

I enjoy the show; watched the first couple of seasons on DVD from the library a few years back, then started again in these last few months. But I'm giving it a rest for awhile. There is a soap opera quality to many long-running shows.

And truth to tell, I get tired of Walt's extreme 'cowboy reticence' now and then! Loosen up, man....

8 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

These days, it has about come down to watch soap operas or don't watch anything.  

That's when I dig into my collection of DVD's.  I have quite a number of foreign films made in Poland, Czechoslovakia, Finland, Russia, Germany, etc., etc., most of which beat the pants off of anything coming out of Hollywood.  "Criminal Minds" is another example that I gave up on.

I started watching it from the beginning a little while ago.  I'm getting real tired of Walt's obsessive compulsion against Jacob Nighthorse.  Seriously, the man needs to be committed.  He started out with a "let's get all the facts" attitude and it's turned into "Nighthorse is involved so I need to get him regardless of the method or consequences.  Don't bother me with the facts."

I am currently taking a break from the series.

At least that's my .02 cents.

Angus

Read the books and watched the series. Of course the books are best because the mind pictures things better than any tv show or movie can.

At least my mind.

When it's working properly.

;)

I hear a lot of people knock the show after Netflix picked it up, but don't forget A&E dropped the show on season 3 which ends with Branch being shot by his own father.  I personally think Netflix did a great job picking up the show and giving the story and fans closure. 

I like the books too, personally I have read the first 7.  Book 1 The Cold Dish is a great modern western.  Not only are the books better than the show, the show is only loosely based on the plot lines found in the books, so even if you have already seen the show the books are still well worth the read.  Personally I got a little burned out on the author's style of abruptly ending the story and then tying up the plot in an epilogue.  It works well in the The Cold Dish, but I did not much care for the way a number of the other ones simply ended in a action scene and then wrapped it up in the epilogue.  Still all criticism aside the characters, plot and humor found in the books makes them well worth the read.

For those of you who have read the books, I have a question. Was the ending in the books the same as the ending in the series? I was very disappointed and disgusted with the series ending. I guess I didn't see it coming as I thought it would never end that way.

Thanks,

PF

8 minutes ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

For those of you who have read the books, I have a question. Was the ending in the books the same as the ending in the series? I was very disappointed and disgusted with the series ending. I guess I didn't see it coming as I thought it would never end that way.

Thanks,

PF

The author is still writing books so I doubt it will end the same.  

24 minutes ago, July Smith said:

The author is still writing books so I doubt it will end the same.  

It may ever end. Like Tony Hillerman’s Joe Leaphorn books.

6 hours ago, July Smith said:

I hear a lot of people knock the show after Netflix picked it up, but don't forget A&E dropped the show on season 3 which ends with Branch being shot by his own father.  I personally think Netflix did a great job picking up the show and giving the story and fans closure. 

I like the books too, personally I have read the first 7.  Book 1 The Cold Dish is a great modern western.  Not only are the books better than the show, the show is only loosely based on the plot lines found in the books, so even if you have already seen the show the books are still well worth the read.  Personally I got a little burned out on the author's style of abruptly ending the story and then tying up the plot in an epilogue.  It works well in the The Cold Dish, but I did not much care for the way a number of the other ones simply ended in a action scene and then wrapped it up in the epilogue.  Still all criticism aside the characters, plot and humor found in the books makes them well worth the read.

It's just my humble observation, but Johnson ends his stories in the same settings or ambience in which they started, although usually with a different perspective. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new goal: start watching this series.  My brother also says it’s good.

I have only recently started watching the TV series , on Outdoor channel. But I have read all the books , and am on the waiting list at the local library for the new edition coming out Sept 22.

Rex , who also likes C. J . Box , Steven Hunter , and Anne Hillerman.

I’m a weapon

He’s a weapon

She’s a weapon

They’re all weapons

Wouldn’t you like to be a weapon too?
;)

On 8/18/2020 at 11:10 AM, Black Angus McPherson said:

I started watching it from the beginning a little while ago.  I'm getting real tired of Walt's obsessive compulsion against Jacob Nighthorse.  Seriously, the man needs to be committed.  He started out with a "let's get all the facts" attitude and it's turned into "Nighthorse is involved so I need to get him regardless of the method or consequences.  Don't bother me with the facts."

I am currently taking a break from the series.

At least that's my .02 cents.

Angus

This is actually one of my favorite things about the series. The author created a character with a lot of traditional strengths  and with much to admire about him but also with this blindness to reason and clear prejudice against Nighthorse that make it much more difficult to do his job correctly and which complicates things enormously.  I don’t think there are very many such characters out there with that particular type of flaw; some are straight out heroes and many are anti-heroes but I applaud the writer who took a different path in creating Longmire’s character in a nearly unique way compared to most popular fiction. 

Seamus

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

TV Vic is hot.

Book Vic is a scorcher. 

True. Took me a while to warm to tv Vic.

10 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

True. Took me a while to warm to tv Vic.

Yeah, me too.

Katie did make the roll her own, though, and for the most part it worked for TV.

I'm not entirely sure who my mind's eye has for book Vic. Maybe Lena Horne? (Although that would probably be closer to her mom in the book.)

Archived