SASS Wire Forum

Working with Moose

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience working with moose antler, or possibly elk. I want to make a pair of grips for my colts out of the first moose I took a few years ago, but I have no experience working with the material. Anyone done this?

Regards, 

Jack

No, but I was warned on a knifemaking forum that when you cut or sand antlers, the dust it makes is extremely harmful to your health.  I don't know why, I was just told it is.  It may be worth looking into a bit further if you are going to make some grips.  Maybe invest in a respirator.

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

No, but I was warned on a knifemaking forum that when you cut or sand antlers, the dust it makes is extremely harmful to your health.  I don't know why, I was just told it is.  It may be worth looking into a bit further if you are going to make some grips.  Maybe invest in a respirator.

I would guess, apart from potential damage to your lungs, the possibility of chronic wasting disease being present in the antlers.  CWD produces Croetfield-Jakob disease in humans, which is like Alzheimers only faster developing!

Stay well, Pards!

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I would guess, apart from potential damage to your lungs, the possibility of chronic wasting disease being present in the antlers.  CWD produces Croetfield-Jakob Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans, which is like Alzheimers only faster developing!

Stay well, Pards!

Corrected the spelling.

Very nasty disease. A good friend of mine just lost his brother to CJD.

4 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Antler is very hard material, I've done a grips for a pair of NMV's.  After finishing the shaping of the grips I used TRU Oil filler and then TRU oil for a finish. They came out great.

kR

Any pictures? 

OLG

Give Grashorn Grips a call, He made a pair of Moose antler grips for one of my Pards, I.C. Moose.

https://www.grashornsgunworks.com/

Archived