SASS Wire Forum

Proper way to mail a handgun?

Johnny Dollar

Hey all! 

So hopefully someone can guide me in this.   I tried searching but couldn’t find anything.  
I’ll be needing to send a handgun to a guys FFL in Arizona in a few weeks.  I’ve been reading different ways but since I’ve never done this I decided to ask.  
What is the best way to send a handgun? FedEx, UPS? I think I read I can’t send via USPS because I’m not an FFL.  I’m guessing I would prepackaged it and drop it off...  am I required to tell them what’s in the box? 
I’ve also read where it’s sometimes cheaper to have an FFL do it for me.  Is that the case? I’m almost to that point anyway.  

Thanks! And sorry if this is a goofy question.  I just don’t want to screw anything up.  
Johnny Dollar 

A non-FFL can’t ship through the USPS. FedEx and UPS require a non-FFL to ship handguns overnight, so not cheap. The cheapest option for a non-FFL is to have an FFL ship for them via USPS.

51 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

was it me doing this , I would pack it very well , take to my FFL dealer

I did that one time, and my dealer told me that he wished I had not. He had to unpack it, so he can get the serial number, so he could enter it into his bound book. He told me that any gun that goes through his business has to be in his bound book.

So the next time I needed to send a pistol, I took the box and the packing with me to him, but I did not seal it.

Thanks for help!  I was already on the fence about using an FFL for this.  But this pushed me that way.   I’ll call around to see which places close to me will do it for me.  

thanks again!!

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I did that one time, and my dealer told me that he wished I had not. He had to unpack it, so he can get the serial number, so he could enter it into his bound book. He told me that any gun that goes through his business has to be in his bound book.

So the next time I needed to send a pistol, I took the box and the packing with me to him, but I did not seal it.

I'm an FFL... Please do what Alpo suggested. 

Yep .. for sure read the instructions (ship my gun)  ... AND ... you need your own box ... they just email you a label.

I only used them once for a handgun ... nothing shocking happened. 

I have since found a local dealer that actually welcomes the business ... provides boxes and everything .. and costs only $10 - $15 more than "ship my gun".

You can't beat that and you aren't pacing around waiting to see some tracking info appear (that was my biggest worry ... waiting to see it appear on tracking ... actual acknowledgement that it was processed at the drop off). 

There are experience reviews out there .. here is one ...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Review-of-shipmygun-com/127-1770586/

3 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Yep .. for sure read the instructions (ship my gun)  ... AND ... you need your own box ... they just email you a label.

I only used them once for a handgun ... nothing shocking happened. 

I have since found a local dealer that actually welcomes the business ... provides boxes and everything .. and costs only $10 - $15 more than "ship my gun".

You can't beat that and you aren't pacing around waiting to see some tracking info appear (that was my biggest worry ... waiting to see it appear on tracking ... actual acknowledgement that it was processed at the drop off). 

There are experience reviews out there .. here is one ...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Review-of-shipmygun-com/127-1770586/

Thanks for the info!   I had heard of this service but honestly was a bit skeptical.  I read your review.  Seems pretty easy.   But I guess I didn't  understand how it worked.  I mean I thought you got the label and boxed it up then you went to the FFL that you selected in the list to have them ship it.  But you said you just box it and bring to a fedex office.   if thats the case why would anyone pick an FFL that isn't on their approved list?  It wouldn't matter who you picked....  would it?

So the Fedex employee will just take the box no questions asked and you have the tracking number right away since you were given the label?

EDIT:    you had mentioned FedEx but the instructions say UPS only?

Capture.JPG

To tell you the truth I don't remember if it was UPS or FedX.

I do remember having to go online and look up a drop off location (occupied by live bodies) ... AND .. I was really worried someone was going to start asking me a lot of questions.

I sat the package on the counter (I had made sure I didn't write gun or firearm on it anywhere .. period) ...

The person said "thanks" and looked at me like ... "well ... what are you waiting for ... beat it" ... That bothered me ... I remember wondering ... hmmmm ... are they going to give me a receipt or something ...

I didn't want to act like this wasn't routine for me or create any concern ... sooooooooo I just turned around and walked out the door. 

Then I really worried until halfway through the next day ... bringing up the tracking number about every hour to see if there was any information that it even existed. 

It was like ... what would I do if it never showed up ... I didn't have anything to prove I dropped the package off.

... but ... no biggie ... all went well. I copied the final tracking/delivery info w/ signature and that was that. :ph34r:  

All you're doing by using that Bud's Guns service is utilising their discounted  shippingr rates

The receiving FFL must be an approved FFL because Bud's has to make sure that the receiving FFL accepts guns from a private party.

Bud's gets more volume... better rates... Exposure... Such a deal...

Archived