SASS Wire Forum

Hinge on over / under

Trigger Mike

while reviewing shotguns for the shotgun team my son discovered that Benelli has a hinge on the 828u model that will never need replacing. 

How often have hinges or other parts broke on brands like the Beretta and Browning etc

38 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

while reviewing shotguns for the shotgun team my son discovered that Benelli has a hinge on the 828u model that will never need replacing. 

How often have hinges or other parts broke on brands like the Beretta and Browning etc

I can only say my Browning BT-99 was my father-in-law's first trap gun, and it was mine as well. I have no clue the number of rounds it has through it, but they number high into the tens of thousands. The hinge is still solid on it. He taught me to use a bit of gun grease instead of oil on it.

Big factor is that trap and skeet guns are carried a lot with the actions open putting all the weight on the hinge alone. 

Also hinges on trap and skeet guns wear due to a lot of use coupled with poor / improper lubrication. Hinge areas need to be lubed with a high quality, high pressure grease. 

I have an 80 year old Parker that locks up like a Swiss watch case. 

I have a quirk for nice O/U and SxS guns. Winchester, Parker, Browning.  Never had a hinge wear out. 

That being said, I’ve seen cheap guns come from the factory with actions that felt like they were lined with beach sand. No idea how long they last. 

Archived