Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Duelist Grip


MBFields

Recommended Posts

Started shooting Duelist this summer. Looking at Doc Shapiro's breaking the shot, he refers to the grip as having the little finger tucked under grip. That is how I shot two handed but trying it one handed sometimes feels like hard to keep a good grip. Just wondering how you one handers grip your gun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If what you're saying is happening, bring all fingers on the frontstrap. 

 

DO NOT rotate the gun to get your thumb on the hammer. If this is happening, change hammers, grip frames, guns or all of the above...unless you like shooting slowly.

 

I don't not have large hands and I shoot OMV's with SBH hammers...all fingers on frontstrap.

 

Phantom

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

little finger under the grip frame , makes it easier to rotate the pistol , when cocking 

 

  CB 

 

 

If you are doing this. You are wasting time.

Tic Toc.

 

 

You see A LOT of Duelist and GFer's shoot Ruger Bisleys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Been shooting Gunfighter for years and years.  Gunfighter is sorta kinda Dualist simultaneous with a gun in each hand (you Knew That).  ALL of my main match guns, Cap Guns, Conversions, Open Tops, what have you have "Army" pattern grips.  Trying to shoot with the little finger tucked under the grip/frame is a real GROAN.  Try some guns with the longer Army Grips.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what you mean by rotating the gun. When practicing I concentrate on keeping gun on as close to target as possible while cocking it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tended to shoot real heavy loads , so it rotates up , under recoil , the little finger under tends to lessen the upward movement 

 

 I went to 1 range , where the targets were so close It made me step back , I was running 45 Colt with 200 gn , close to max loads that day 

 

  what kinda works for me , MAY NOT , be of any use to you , 

 

 I am not even in the class of shooter as Phantom , Coffenmaker , or Nuttin Graceful , lots of better and faster shooters than me 

 

 Chickasaw 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it. I do not rotate up. I tried army grips on some pistols a few years back and did not do well with them. I am going to put all fingers wrapped on grip. Have done that before and will get used to it. Thanks everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If what you're saying is happening, bring all fingers on the frontstrap. 

 

DO NOT rotate the gun to get your thumb on the hammer. If this is happening, change hammers, grip frames, guns or all of the above...unless you like shooting slowly.

 

I don't not have large hands and I shoot OMV's with SBH hammers...all fingers on frontstrap.

 

Phantom

What he said^^^^^ only difference is I'm shooting Colts which my hands fit perfectly.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MBFields said:

Looking at Doc Shapiro's breaking the shot, he refers to the grip as having the little finger tucked under grip.


Doc is a mainstay at Diamond Dick's... and one helluva fine shooter.
He has a very comprehensive set of docs as PDF out there for reference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MBFields said:

Started shooting Duelist this summer. Looking at Doc Shapiro's breaking the shot, he refers to the grip as having the little finger tucked under grip. That is how I shot two handed but trying it one handed sometimes feels like hard to keep a good grip. Just wondering how you one handers grip your gun.

I have a fairly large hand so I shoot Bisleys so get all 4 fingers on the grip. It works better for me.

 

Randy

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What he said^^^^^ only difference is I'm shooting Colts which my hands fit perfectly.

 

That is why put Colt grips on my Usfa's, feel perfect in hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I am shooting standard SAA size grips, my pinky just naturally curls under the grip.   When I am shooting something with 1860 or larger grips, all four fingers tend to wrap around the front of the grip.   When I am shooting anything else, like a Smith and Wesson, Nagant or whatever else I may want to use on a particular day, I just let my fingers go where they seem to naturally fall as I draw the gun.

The key there, for me it least, is a natural grip.   Let your finger go where they want to go, and don't worry about trying to make them go someplace else.  The gun will go into your hand the way it fits best, making it easier to shoot in the long run.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.