SASS Wire Forum

Installing slide lock button and L shaped spring???

Marshal Jennison

I took apart my Model 1897 shotgun to clean rust  from the receiver and am now stuck on reassembly.   The roadblock is the slide release button and the small “L” shaped wire spring that goes into the button on one end and into a tiny hole in the receiver in the other.  I cannot figure out how to get this assembly back in  and am hoping someone has a tip to do this.

thanks as always, Jennison. 

Wish I had a video, but I don't.

Look at the parts diagram:

Part 22 pushes on part 63 which pushes on part 71 which releases the action.

The action is locked by spring 70 which goes underneath the front of part 71.

Don't know if that helps.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/97parts.htm

1897.gif

When I had my gun shop along time ago. We used to tell potential customers that they called it a 97 because it had 97 parts in the receiver. If they tried to dissassemble and then could not put it back together. Bring it back in a shoe box with all the parts they could find and one of our gunsmiths  would reassembled it for a "not so nominal fee". This discouraged all but the a few who then paid the fee. Good luck with your challenge. Castalia

A pair of tweezers with an "L" shaped tip was the best solution I've found (and receiver and bolt out of the frame so you have room).  Patience, yelling, cussing a lot, and occasionally stomping around also help.

Referring to Marauder's diagram I believe the OP is asking about #21 and how it is secured in the receiver.

I have never removed that part for fear it would break.

Part 21 is secured in the receiver by simple (ha! this is where the L shaped tweezers come into play) insertion of the short end into a small hole in the receiver.  The long end goes into a small hole in part 22.  #22 is placed in it's proper hole from the inside of the receiver, you push it up a little bit to expose the #21 hole, put the long end of #21 in that hole, then get the short end of #21 in the hole in the receiver.  This would all be easier if you could see inside the @#$% receiver to see what you were doing.  If you lose or break #21, any decent steel wire of the right diameter can be used as a substitute.

If I understand the OPs question

1) empty the receiver of parts

2) using both hands and tweezers, insert the short leg of the "L" spring into the hole in the inside of the receiver

3) with one hand/finger, hold the short leg  fully in the hole 

4) with another hand, slide a pointy pick/needle under the long leg of the "L" spring and lift it away from the receiver- leave pick under leg close enough to hole that the end of wire is away from receiver enough to get into hole in button-- ya, wire bends a lot but it is a spring

5) with another hand, and tweezers, slide the button onto the long end of the "L" spring

6) with another hand position the button vertically over it's hole in the receiver and push it in the hole

7) You now make certain the short leg of the "L" spring is fully depressed into the side of the receiver

8) count to confirm you still have all of your hands :)

It's really not to tough after you have done it a few dozen times ;)

If the spring lock and screw are on the bolt. Klondike taught me years ago to just through them away. As long as you push forward on the pump it work fine if the pump isn’t forward it won’t fire.  We started doing this in 1998!

Archived