SASS Wire Forum

replacing Marlin factory sights

Pee Wee #15785

I have a sight problem on my Marlin 94.  Target set at 50 yards and could not hit it using the sights, keep shooting to the left.  Started looking at the sights and the rear sight is bent.  It is a.45 Colt that I like to play with to a 100 yards.  What rear sight would you buy to replace the sight and should the front sight be replaced with a different or better sight.  What is size of the dovetail?

If it is bent...... Most gunsmiths can straighten for you. They should be able to easily fix a dovetail that is too loose at the same time.

3 hours ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

What is size of the dovetail?

Almost all cowboy rifles (including Marlins) use a 0.375" dovetail.   That's the dimension of the bottom of the dovetail, measuring either across the base of a removed sight (much easier), or with calipers using the bevels on the arms, measuring across the base of the cut (reaching in under the bevels on the barrel).  

If you can see the existing front sight well enough, it ought to work out to 100 yards fine.  Pards who replace the small beaded front sight with a speed sight (large bead) sometimes have difficulty holding tighter groups at distances, like at 100 yards.

Good luck, GJ

Drive sights to the right to take them off. 

Install them by starting them on the right side of the dovetail and then driving them to the left until centered on the barrel.

5 hours ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Remember on dovetails, left out and right in, while having the rifle at the shoulder.

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Drive sights to the right to take them off

Install them by starting them on the right side of the dovetail and then driving them to the left until centered on the barrel.

??

You say the rear sight is bent and it shoots to the left. I have no idea of your level of experience but is the rear sight just drifted in the dovetail too much to the left. It's easier to have a bent front sight but not the rear.

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

??

You got it.  I supplied correct info because that other post seemed to not state things clearly enough.

Factory new replacement rear sights are available for $20.  I’d buy one for that price before bothering to straighten one.

Sight was dead center of the dovetail, right side blade portion of the sight was along the top flat left edge.  I have removed the sight and Ray's Trash has had it for a few days.  For close in work all I need is the front sight and SASS is close in work.  I just like to have the gun up and running for deer season.

Archived