SASS Wire Forum

Costume rule clarification - Spaghetti Westerns

Blazin' Kane

This is as stated in the rule book under b-westerns and I'm not finding the same elsewhere, so I think I'd be good to go?

"Costumes that depict leading role characters in B-Western movies are allowed as long as the costume is complete with all accessories, but the costuming must still adhere to the boot, leather, spur, hat, and firearm requirements. John Wayne, spaghetti western, and townsperson characters are not acceptable."

Might not have enough required items for Classic Cowboy, particularly leather.  But other categories, sure.  I've seen several MWNN fans who dress exactly that way.

I'll give you the same answer I did on Facebook. Yes. No question.

The only other exception would be Classic Cowboy and if you had the right guns, boots and a couple of more accoutrements it'd be ok for that.

You could shoot in your age category, any of the shooting style categories, and the open category Cowboy.

2 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Might not have enough required items for Classic Cowboy, particularly leather.  But other categories, sure.  I've seen several MWNN fans who dress exactly that way.

More leather? What would I need to add?

Well, unless that's a 336-44, it ain't legal in any category.  (Only Marlin 336 action in a "pistol" caliber I'm aware of).

As for Classic Cowboy, you're short 2 items:

- Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below, and all clothing items
must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.
o Chaps, western spurs with rowels and spur straps, cuffs, tie or scarf worn
     loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full
     length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife (screw knives do NOT qualify),
     botas, leggings, or braces.
o No Straw or Palm hats allowed.

1 if the serape can be substituted for a jacket.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Well, unless that's a 336-44, it ain't legal in any category.  (Only Marlin 336 action in a "pistol" caliber I'm aware of).

As for Classic Cowboy, you're short 2 items:

1 if the serape can be substituted for a jacket.

It's a 30/30. I've been on the hunt for a rifle and shotgun for a few days now

That rifle being a 30-30 might not be legal but it's shoor purty! Marlin does a nice stainless 336!

3 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

That rifle being a 30-30 might not be legal but it's shoor purty! Marlin does a nice stainless 336!

Thanks so much Dan. It was love at first sight, I had some engraving done on it this week too... All the first born men have the JKK initials going back to 1885, I'm the 4th generation, I wanted this rifle to become something that gets passed down.

20200815_193416.jpg

20200815_193030.jpg

20200815_193054.jpg

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'll give you the same answer I did on Facebook. Yes. No question.

The only other exception would be Classic Cowboy and if you had the right guns, boots and a couple of more accoutrements it'd be ok for that.

You could shoot in your age category, any of the shooting style categories, and the open category Cowboy.

This^^^

Not meaning to put a damper on this discussion but as PaleWolf has stated several times "discussion on facebook are NOT official rules declarations".  I personally agree with the gist of the statements but the Shooters Handbook as quoted is the Official statement. I noticed that some TO instructors have posted their positions on this thread but they don't totally agree with each other.  Interesting. You could send a copy of the photo to PaleWolf for the RO Committee's official position on the matter.

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

You wear them in the house?  Kind of tough on the bedsheets, I'm thinking. :unsure:

I mean... There's nothing much to do these days but dress up in the house and shoot wax bullets and practice twirling.

3 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Not meaning to put a damper on this discussion but as PaleWolf has stated several times "discussion on facebook are NOT official rules declarations".  I personally agree with the gist of the statements but the Shooters Handbook as quoted is the Official statement. I noticed that some TO instructors have posted their positions on this thread but they don't totally agree with each other.  Interesting. You could send a copy of the photo to PaleWolf for the RO Committee's official position on the matter.

This ^^^^

With your outfit (which looks outstanding BTW) and would work for any of the age based categories there are some things you would need such as specific firearms and some costuming extras for classic or BW which are outlined in SHB bottom of page 7 to roughly middle of page 9 for Classic and BW rules. also the muzzle cant of the crossdraw appears to be greater than 30 degrees as worn.

Regards, Welcome and all the Best

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 minute ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

This ^^^^

With your outfit (which looks outstanding BTW) and would work for any of the age based categories there are some things you would need such as specific firearms and some costuming extras for classic or BW which are outlined in SHB bottom of page 7 to roughly middle of page 9 for Classic and BW rules.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Thanks amigo!!

And give the fur missile an ear scratch!

13 hours ago, Blazin' Kane said:

Very nice! Where is the rig from? El Paso is taking forever to send mine.

Mernickle

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/

My problem is shipping time. It takes a while to get stuff from the USA to Australia, especially at the moment.

Archived