SASS Wire Forum

"You Don't Need Another Hobby," I Said

DocWard

But, I just passed my test for my Technician Class ham radio license. So now, I've got a lot to learn, and figure out where to get the money for a radio.

Oh, my oldest daughter passed her exam also.

48 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Doc, I hope you meant that your daughter "passed" her technician's exam as well.

Indeed I did. I don't think I would be so chipper otherwise. I clarified.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You could sell some guns!

:lol:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA  ...BREATHE... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, Seriously, I need to save up some money. Maybe collect some scrap metal, sell some plasma, a kidney...

35 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Down the rabbit hole you go!

I hope not so much, but one never knows. The reason I did it was because I've wanted to do so for a very long time, decades, really. There was an earthquake in El Salvador when I was in my teens (I think). My brother-in-law is a native El Salvadoran, naturalized as a U.S. Citizen. We had a family friend that was a ham operator, and we went over to his place and after some time, he was able to get some news about my brother-in-law's mother, and that she was OK. We were there for hours, but as I recall, he found out something the next day. It stuck with me.

Now, I'm too old to be running around and all that, but this allows me another way to possibly be of assistance in an emergency. I think with a mobile unit I can accomplish that, and also take it on camping trips and the like with me. I don't have a need to get my General or Amateur Extra license and spend thousands of dollars on equipment and antennas and all that. My daughter on the other hand...

I will admit it would be cool to contact the ISS, though!

Got my general license (took both exams the same day) and have been waiting to get the money together too. With Illinois going full on gun control and ending my FFL - I opted to get the guns for SASS first. So now back to getting radios, antenna's, etc.....  Unfortunately have my heart set on an ICOM 7610, so yeah still saving up.

Then there's that whole astronomy thing like a Celestron 11 inch computerized scope and of course a camera for it.

8 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Could be worse!  You could get into model railroading! 

Congratulations to you and your daughter.  Stay well!

Boy that’s a rabbit hole with no end!!

2 hours ago, Raylan said:

Got my general license (took both exams the same day) and have been waiting to get the money together too. With Illinois going full on gun control and ending my FFL - I opted to get the guns for SASS first. So now back to getting radios, antenna's, etc.....  Unfortunately have my heart set on an ICOM 7610, so yeah still saving up.

Then there's that whole astronomy thing like a Celestron 11 inch computerized scope and of course a camera for it.

Yeah, I belong to an astronomy club, and constantly fight the urge to dump money into that. Of course, we have access to an observatory with a number of telescopes that do everything I need and far more.

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Could be worse!  You could get into model railroading! 

Congratulations to you and your daughter.  Stay well!

Long ago, Mrs. Doc bought me a model railroad set. I told myself I would set it up one day when we had the room. I've gone to a couple of model train shows, and... Holy cow... I'm glad it is still in the box.

Don't Google Gorre & Daphetid or Franklin & South Manchester railroads....

10 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Don't Google Gorre & Daphetid or Franklin & South Manchester railroads....

OK, I won't! Ha! I've seen some amazing ones on YouTube, so I assume those are of the same ilk.

O.K., we all know why he's taking up this new hobby!

2020_08_16_09_37_30.jpg.01024637f652348d3e7ca4c858fda480.jpg

34 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

O.K., we all know why he's taking up this new hobby!

2020_08_16_09_37_30.jpg.01024637f652348d3e7ca4c858fda480.jpg

Well, I had to do something to keep Mrs. Doc's eye, since I can't fall back on the "man in uniform" thing anymore! By the way, is "geek" another word for "sexy?" It doesn't seem to be in the context she keeps using it.

18 hours ago, DocWard said:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA  ...BREATHE... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, Seriously, I need to save up some money. Maybe collect some scrap metal, sell some plasma, a kidney...

If you have any small pistol primers, I'll buy 'em!!:lol:

27 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If you have any small pistol primers, I'll buy 'em!!:lol:

I've got several thousand once fired if you're interested, just pay for the shipping :ph34r:

Well, I am glad you fixed you original post. I was a bit concerned that you had some issues...well, issues other than your norm. :D

Archived