SASS Wire Forum

Marking the Cylinders

Whiskey Hicks

I was trying to think of a way to mark the cylinders on my Pietta Navy's for the empty chambers.  I've put on Slixx Shot nipples on both pistols, but I was thinking of changing one chamber back to the original factory nipple in black to mark for the empty.

Does anyone see any potential complications from this, safety, mechanical or otherwise?

I did that and painted the unused nipple with white fingernail polish....

I also used the white polish on the inside of the unused cylinder so I wouldn't fill it.

Works for me.

Heres the "Classy" way Capt. Baylor engraves his cylinder to remind him Not to fill it ..........

engravedcylinder09_538.jpg.b41464eff00f576e3b455ca9a026b395.jpg

I use a gold or silver sharpie and mark along the the outside of the cylinder.  I also load all 6 and just cap 5. This way if I have a fail to fire I can tell at a glance which cylinder is the spare.  Marking will last 6 stages but comes off when cleaning.

:rolleyes:  Ha !! :rolleyes:

None of the above.  Common Bright Orange "Thread Protectors."  Cut them into pieces about an 8th of an inch thick.  Put em over the nipple.  Real easy to see, real easy to remove if you need to load "six."  A package from eBay will last you lifetime :D   Can post a Tin Type if needs be.

There is an engraving of a naval battle on the navy’s cylinder.  I just looked for the nipple closest to the beginning of the scene and would leave that one empty.  This preserved the option of loading a sixth shot if I needed to, without having to mess with reinstalling a nipple in that chamber.  After you fire the first five shots, you can identify which chamber you left uncharged easily by peeking at the front end of the cylinder.

All Colt open tops had such scenes as I recall:

https://truewestmagazine.com/colt-revolver-cylinder-scenes/

+1 to Coffinmaker -- a simple, cheap,  and foolproof way to  go.

--Dawg

Untitled.jpg

1 hour ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

+1 to Coffinmaker -- a simple, cheap,  and foolproof way to  go.

--Dawg

Untitled.jpg

This trick is so cheap and works like a charm. I pick mine up at Home Depot. Diamond Curly has been using this with great success and he passed the trick along to me. It is just flat the best there is.

I use nail polish in florescent red/orange by the nipple and in the cylinder at the throat.

To expand on Colorado Cofinmaker’s comment about Grif’s guardian angel, firing a cap & ball revolver with a loaded, uncapped chamber can result in a discharge of the uncapped chamber.

When a round is fired from a c&b, the breech is not completely sealed so fire and sparks are propelled out the nipple flash hole.  There is nothing to prevent an errant spark from entering the uncapped nipple of the loaded chamber, causing an unintended discharge.

Archived