SASS Wire Forum

Bulls Eye

Rough 'N Ready Rob

From "How America Got It's Slang"

Many ages ago, when bows were still commonly used in warfare, people would take bull skulls (because they were tough) to practice shooting at. The more proficient archers would then challenge each other to put arrows through the eye socket of the bull skull - a literal bull's eye - as it was a much smaller target and harder to hit. The name ended up sticking as it is takes more skill to hit that specific point on the target.

As for the center of that target, in france (also taken from same episode), it was a french term called point blanque - the white point - and archers would practice hitting that point at a range to where they could aim straight at it and hit it without having to adjust upwards for distance/gravity - thus where we get hitting point blank, especially combining that with a hit and calling it a bullseye!

fun info i never though to seek out but appreciate knowing , im not an archer but i have a good friend that is an olympic archer , ill try to wow him with my new found edumancation and see if he is impressed , that should be a fun discussion , i do learn stuff here in spite of my old age and lack of technilogicle expertise , particularly when i did not realize i needed to know , this was a fun thread 

Archived