SASS Wire Forum

Tipping

Alpo

Let's say that a friend of yours said to you one day, "Let's go get something to eat. My treat."

Would you get the tip?

My business partner and I fell into this routine, where we would go out to eat. And one time he would pick up the check, and the next time I would pick up check. Didn't matter how much it cost. We figured it would equal out over time.

And by "pick up the check", I mean that we would pay for everything. The meal, the tip, the squeeze to the headwaiter to get in. Just made sense.

I attempted to do this with another guy I worked with, and he insisted that if one of us paid for the meal, the other one should get the tip.

He was a Yankee, and had a lot of strange ideas.

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I’ve done it both ways with friends. As long as the tip is generous, shouldn’t matter. 

Yep

5 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I’ve done it both ways with friends. As long as the tip is generous, shouldn’t matter. 

Yep +1

Alpo, just so you know, in my experience, Southerners can be just as tight and as weird as “Yankees” when it comes to money.  I think this goes across all regions of the United States. 

6 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

If the service is good the tip will be.  I left three pennies once and was asked why.  No tip could be an oversight, but three cents is a comment.

If I buy lunch or dinner, I want to get the tip. That way, I know it is fair. Guess I know some cheapskates.

I was shocked when a (non-SASS person) friend said something to the effect, I leave very little when I know I won't be coming back. This started my policy of buying and tipping together.

BTW, she was odd in other ways. Bye bye to her.

Howdy,

Ive been putting together a half dollar collection.

I get a couple rolls of half dollars almost every week.

A lot get spent as tips.

Something about a row of coins just looks different from 

a few folded bills.

Lots of clerks dont know what a half dollar is.  Fun.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

If the service is good the tip will be.  I left three pennies once and was asked why.  No tip could be an oversight, but three cents is a comment.

I have done that. Only it was one cent.

Lets them know you thought about a tip.

But they was just not worth anything.

8 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

That's the way I do it with my friends.

5 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I left three cents because I had three pennies and I HATE pennies.  All they are good for is wearing out your pockets from the inside.

Done Both. When I buy I tell the company at the beginning that I will also do the tip.

I have done it both ways, just be sure that the person you are with will tip appropriately.

Once a couple that claimed to be Jeanie's friends sat down to eat with us.  I am sure that they intended to leave the table without tipping and let my tip to the waitress cover all four meals.  I took the waitress aside and gave her her a generous tip and made sure she knew it was for Jeanie and me only.  I don't know what those two cheap skates did. 

I don't subsidize scoundrels.

Duffield

I've treated/got the tip, been treated/got the tip and treated/they got the tip. I prefer to get the tip if treated and that they get the tip if they are treated. I do insure that in any circumstance.....the server get compensated for the quality of service provided. Great service = great tip. Lousy service = lousy (in their mind) tip. 

I worked in restaurants during the summer when I was in school. Sometimes would work Sunday during the day.....hated it. No offense to the Church folks but.....religious pamphlets ARE NOT A TIP.

3 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I workED for the WITH THIS girl once - said she used to be a waitress - and that was wrong.

If you leave a penny tip, it means that you really wanted to leave a tip but you don't have enough money.

Leaving a nickel tip is saying that the service sucked.

Personally I believe she is wrong. But that's what she told me.

I tip generously for good service, but if the service was bad, I let the manager know there was no tip left due to poor service.

Back in '80 I was eating with this guy I worked with. Separate checks.

After I finished, I picked up my check, and stuck a dollar bill under the edge of my plate (I was making $5 an hour. I thought a dollar was a pretty good tip.)

Dork brain reached over and took my dollar, tore it in half, and put half under the edge of my plate and the other half under the age of the kids plate.

He was snickering as we left. "She'll think we both left her a dollar."

I never ate with him again.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Southerners can be just as tight and as weird as “Yankees” when it comes to money.

That's because so many of us are descended from Scots.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

No offense to the Church folks but.....religious pamphlets ARE NOT A TIP.

My daughter worked her way through college as a server at a nice restaurant. Manager had to pay extra on Sundays to get the wait staff to show up because the church crowd was so bad at tipping. Turned her off to religion for good. 

“I can’t pay rent with a tract.”

15 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I tip generously for good service, but if the service was bad, I let the manager know there was no tip left due to poor service.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I left three cents because I had three pennies and I HATE pennies.  ll they are good for is wearing out your pockets from the inside.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Given that under today’s labor laws, a tip is part of the server’s basic compensation and not a bonus, I always make them whole with a solid tip. After all, everybody can have an off day, and most of our paychecks don’t get dinged for an off day. 

But I will tell management and let them comp my meal. If they want to address it with the server, that is an internal issue. 

When I go out with my friends we always argue about how we're gonna pay & then come up with a fair solution.  It's complicated.

how about a $50 tip for $30 meal

coming back for shopping trip we stop at Mexican place her friends said is great 

we where seating fast  had water and menus as soon as we sat down  chips and salsa in under a minute . order taken with  big smile . our food came quick and was very good 

we get the check I tell my GF 15% is not enuff for how good the service was 

her reply how about  150 %  so I left her a 50 dollar bill 

I always tip well. If I don’t tip it’s because the server should be fired and I let them know...at the end of a meal, of course. 
I have gotten up and walked out of places because of bad food and bad service. That doesn’t happen very often. May be every couple of years. I did it more in Oregon than anyplace else I have ever lived. Perhaps it’s the “weed”. Makes people stupid. 

Lately I tip really really well. It’s hard enough on service folks to make a living and now all the CoVid BS doesn’t help. I have been leaving and giving 50-100% tips lately. 

16 hours ago, Alpo said:

Let's say that a friend of yours said to you one day, "Let's go get something to eat. My treat."

Would you get the tip?

When I was working on my last job, I did a lot of foreclosure sales and I would ride with the auctioneer.  He would always buy lunch and I would always leave the tip.  I just didn't think it was fair to put the whole load on him all the time, because we did a lot of sales.  We did that for years.

We went all over the state of Maryland doing foreclosure sales, and wait staff got to know me pretty well.  I left what I thought were pretty good tips and I tipped with the Golden Dollar coins that I carried.

When I moved here to where I live now, the local American Legion reactivated the Sons of the American Legion squadron.  The post had been closed most of the time, so the Sons stepped up as volunteer bartenders in the canteen.  No wages, but the volunteer bartenders got to keep their tips.  Working behind the bar gave me a good appreciation for the lives of people who depend on tips for a living.  I thought I tipped fairly well, but after working behind the bar myself I definitely upped my game as far as tipping wait staff and service people.  Hopefully tipping with my Golden Dollar coins helps everybody remember I gave them a good tip.

Here in PA our governor had everything shut down pretty tightly.  With the bars, barbershops and service clubs finally reopening, I have been giving extra tips to wait staff and service people to help make up for being out of work for three months.  If where you live was under a heavy lockdown, think about tipping a little extra to help out with what the people you normally tip were missing when they were out of work.

15 hours ago, Alpo said:

I workED for the WITH THIS girl once - said she used to be a waitress - and that was wrong.

If you leave a penny tip, it means that you really wanted to leave a tip but you don't have enough money.

Leaving a nickel tip is saying that the service sucked.

Personally I believe she is wrong. But that's what she told me.

The one time I left a penny tip, I threw it into a glass of water, put a napkin over the glass, turned the glass over onto the table, then eased the napkin out from under it.  I don't think there was any ambiguity about what I thought of the service. 

It was a full glass of water that I had to get myself.  Had to reach around the waitress because she wouldn't even move her chair over to let me by. 

At any rate, our normal routine is you pay, I'll get the tip, I pay you get the tip.  As an added bonus, I think it helps train people to be better tippers.  My wife has made comments to the effect of "We're buying your meal, don't embarrass us with a BS tip"

Archived