SASS Wire Forum

Any Marlin 39M Experts?

Cholla

I stopped in a local gunshop and they have a Marlin 39M for $577. I was tempted but the lever is at an angle, not parallel to the stock, when the breech is closed. The lever hits the lower tang as shown in the photo. But unlike the photo, the lever sticks out much farther at the end. This is a photo from an auction site, not of the actual gun. The gunshop says their research shows that this odd angle is normal.

So, is it normal? Is it a good price? The stock has wear and the barrel has some blemishes that almost appears as though there was rust that was wire-wheeled away and reblued, yet the gun doesn't look re-blued overall.

I was wanting something for when I actually have grandkids (like that's ever going to happen) and they want to be in SASS like grandpa, and a Henry just doesn't talk to me like a Marlin or Winchester.

Gunbroker has zero Marlin 39Ms, but Wiki says the 39M and the 39A are the same gun.

Comments? Suggestions?

image.png.2f2e76f55b959e13ecbfd882624b3120.png

Cholla,

Can you send a pic of the actual Marlin you wish to purchase?  This image appears to be of an older 39M, certainly pre-Freedom Group Remlin.

If you fear it’s been completely re-blued, inspect the lettering on the barrel to start. It should be crisp. If it’s rounded-over or has lettering/numbering which appears thinner than other roll-marks on the same gun , it’s probably not original. If it’s an older version, the barrel will also be marked with a JM just forward of the receiver. 

Also check the barrel/receiver for striations beneath the bluing. Either of these would indicate a re-finish. If it’s just a spot or two which appear refinished by the “home-gunsmith”, pictures of those areas would help. 

I have one of these and would be happy to share images of it as soon as I can dig it out of the back of the safe. But the issue you have described with the image of the lever doesn’t ring any bells with me. I’ll have to compare. 

Did you function test it?  Do you trust this dealer?  That price seems low. Last one I saw on GunBroker went north of $1000.00

Happy to help you out if I can!

Curly

Cholla,

I thought of something else, with the lever in this position, though not perfectly parallel to the stock, was the bolt locked into battery?  Those old Marlins were all hand-fitted by Marlin craftsman. Each one may have slight imperfections/inconsistencies that are cosmetic/visual, but not detrimental to its function. When Freedom Group bought Marlin they failed to realize this fact. They supposed it was simply take Part A from Bin A and install. More often than not, the part didn’t fit. And that’s why they had $9M worth of scrap, completed firearms which wouldn’t function, the first year at Ilion. Hundreds of years of that crucial tribal knowledge was lost when they moved Marlin to Ilion. 

Curly

If what I am picturing in my head is what you saw , it sounds like it could be a 39A lever on a 39M. If my memory isn't confused , the 39M is a shorter , straight-stock model. Many years ago was called the "Mountie."   39A is the 24" barrel with pistol-grip stock. The 39A lever is curved a bit to match the grip. It is the same basic action , just cosmetic differences.

Rex :D

It is an older Marlin. The lettering is crisp and it is stamped JM. It appears to be a take-down model. I just did a search of completed auctions on GB and it does appear as though the lever spacing varies from gun to gun. This is about what it looks like.

image.png.3ad966431c235b7a59221d8a6e763615.png

• 4 weeks later...

Cholla,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I dug mine out of the safe and it has exactly the same “non-parallel” cant to the lever. It’s a JM marked 39A Mountie (straight lever) from 1955. If I were you, I’d make an offer on it if it’s still available. Nothing from Marlin after Freedom Group took over is worth spit. 

If you’d like pictures of mine or like to discuss this further off line, PM me. I know stuff about Marlin that you won’t find on the Interwebs. 

Curly

A few years ago i came across a Marlin Canadian Mounted Police in 22LR.

It has a 20 inch Barrel . It was perfect for Grand Kids.

The person i purchased it from said his Uncle owned it. It only had a Box of shells thru it.

It took an Hour to clean it.

When i saw the shooter i chased it from asked him if the Box held 10.000 Rounds.

Nice lite Rifle .

Since I have no grandkids at the moment I decided the wait to buy something.

My henry is more trouble free and easier to work lever. than my Marlin. I recently found part of the drag on the Marlin was some previous owner had removed the scope bracket and put a wrong plug screw in and it went all the way down and rubbed the bolt. I like both and you might want to consider buying  the Marlin now if you ever think you might want one. Last I looked,  they were only going to be made in the custom shop and carry a hefty price. Look at what 94 Winchesters are going for nowadays and you might be thinking I wish I would have bought the Marlin when I had the chance. 

Archived