SASS Wire Forum

Let’s see your leather projects

Gunleather, SASS #46543

This is my first leather project. I did it in just one attempt. It turned out so nice that I'm considering maybe taking orders if I get enough interest. I haven't seen anyone else offering a piece of leather like this. 

20210105_194128.jpg

20210105_194134.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Looks pretty  uuuhhhh much like my billfold AND just as flat.  One problem with your leather selection is that it doesn't hold stamping very well??

Fact is, it has a purpose. I fold it over a Kahr PM9, then it slips into the back pocket of my jeans and looks like a billfold. Been doing this for many years.

Snakebite

On 1/5/2021 at 10:48 PM, Snakebite said:

This is my first leather project. I did it in just one attempt. It turned out so nice that I'm considering maybe taking orders if I get enough interest. I haven't seen anyone else offering a piece of leather like this. 

20210105_194128.jpg

20210105_194134.jpg

ooooo ahhh - ooo ahhh | Meme Generator

30 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

No, unfortunately,  it came with the Frontier Six Shooter. 

743515298_ColtFSS1881aFeb2020.jpg.12f5ceba048fb2b16571fc0459df0609.jpg1656965268_ColtFSS1881bFeb2020.jpg.a88b9c23dd9d2ebb7b5ca9b126640d5f.jpg

I got Colt letter and the holster.

I bought a Frontier model in an old holster but I did get a little history. Nothing interesting

Dang Three Foots, you must have some mighty good eyes there partner to do such fine carving on that tiny bit of leather!  Truly a work of art in miniature and thet edge weaving work is also to dye for   Dye -- die, get it get it HAR HAR har oh well off to harass someone else now.!

17 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I came across this one in the back of a safe today. I made it for my mother, probably in the late 70's/early 80's. 

Bearcat01.jpg

Bearcat02.jpg

what revolver is that ? make , caliber . i like it - you did a really nice job on that , i bet she appreciated it 

48 minutes ago, watab kid said:

what revolver is that ? make , caliber . i like it - you did a really nice job on that , i bet she appreciated it 

Old model/original model Ruger Bearcat, .22 LR.

Gunleather, I really like both of your rigs.   Both have some unique features that I find attractive as well as adding practical aspects to their designs.  I think you made an attractive feature out off the mainseam having the extra swell locking the two loops in place and there is no doubt that they are cut down about as far as one could take them, do they have good retention or will safety straps/thongs need to be added? 

It has been claimed that the style of your 1911 rig was very popular with the early Texas Rangers of the 20TH century.  As I spoke of in an earlier post, I really like the use of the two tone effect used between the belts and their holsters.  For my holsters I really prefer the open toe and actually like just a tiny touch of barl peek, definitely not the most popular opinion but then the wife has always claimed me to have an oddball taste!  If I ever make another gun belt I think I will somewhat copy what you have here but add one more step of either adding cartridge loops or perhaps a slide that uses the lighter color again to further accent the two tone look.  Great job on both rigs!

Shanley Shooters buddy wanted a holster for his Colt 25 Auto that had a thumb snap, for wearing while on his motorcycle.

He designed, cut, stitched, dyed, barnished and getting ready to seal.

Took him a few hours here and there.

Shanley is still wearing the first rig he ever made in 2008!

0116211254_Burst01.jpg

0116211254a_Burst01.jpg

17 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Gunleather, I really like both of your rigs.   Both have some unique features that I find attractive as well as adding practical aspects to their designs.  I think you made an attractive feature out off the mainseam having the extra swell locking the two loops in place and there is no doubt that they are cut down about as far as one could take them, do they have good retention or will safety straps/thongs need to be added? 

It has been claimed that the style of your 1911 rig was very popular with the early Texas Rangers of the 20TH century.  As I spoke of in an earlier post, I really like the use of the two tone effect used between the belts and their holsters.  For my holsters I really prefer the open toe and actually like just a tiny touch of barl peek, definitely not the most popular opinion but then the wife has always claimed me to have an oddball taste!  If I ever make another gun belt I think I will somewhat copy what you have here but add one more step of either adding cartridge loops or perhaps a slide that uses the lighter color again to further accent the two tone look.  Great job on both rigs!

Thanks for your kind words. The Vaquero gunbelt is made with DBL Mexican loop holsters. The pattern is readily available. I personally like my holsters to be about 1 1/2” to 2” longer then my barrel or close the bottom of the holster to keep snow or mud out. ( old habits from making field use holsters) They are fairly tight and very secure for our game without using hammer loops. I only put a couple cartridge on my belts now because we only load from the belt occasionally when the stage calls for only 9 loaded in the rifle.   

The Wild Bunch rig was for Doc Red Dog. I donated a custom rig for our annual SASS Scholarship charity auction.

Archived