SASS Wire Forum

Let’s see your leather projects

Gunleather, SASS #46543

Mine are all by hand. Gives me something to do when watching TV with my wife, pretending to enjoy her British Mysteries!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I need to practice more because my stitching doesn't look nearly as good as yours. Do you use a stitching horse or pony? I sold a very nice horse decades ago because I thought I was done doing leatherwork. Now I have a sit-under-my-thighs pony that is almost as much hindrance and it is help.

I tried using the sit on type pony but hated it, so I just do it all without anything but a couple of needles and thread in my hand. 

I stitch by hand or with a Tippmann Boss. The Tippmann is a real pain in the ass and requires quite a bit of time, patience, and finesse to learn how to run it smoothly and properly. Knowing what I know now, I'd go with something else.

• 2 weeks later...

those are a really nice donation , fantastic workmanship , but the same to all that have posted - i only wish i had a little of your talent in this area , all beautiful work , 

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

those are a really nice donation , fantastic workmanship , but the same to all that have posted - i only wish i had a little of your talent in this area , all beautiful work , 

What part of the world are you in?

15 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

What part of the world are you in?

im in sartell - little off the st cloud line , i think we have met , i think i may even have an item or so you made but my memory is gettin foggy anymore , did you have a booth at enderlin a few years back ? or at WOWs ? 

WOW Rube I am having a hard time making out some of the detail BUT that looks some really artistic stamping mixed with just a little knife work.  I wish my old eyes still worked some better, it looks very interesting.  That antique buckle is an attention grabber also. 

On 11/14/2020 at 9:48 AM, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

WOW Rube I am having a hard time making out some of the detail BUT that looks some really artistic stamping mixed with just a little knife work.  I wish my old eyes still worked some better, it looks very interesting.  That antique buckle is an attention grabber also. 

Thank you. That was my first time trying to carve and tool a design in a holster rig. Its not perfect but I am very pleased with it. 

9 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

Had these made years ago. Not the best setup for the game but I just liked the design.

That's for BBQ guns, cowboy style!  Who made them?  Always love holsters with metal toes.

These are not my work, but I did own them briefly, until in a moment of absolute insanity, I sold them here on the Wire.  If I could find the cowboy who bought them, I would beg and plead for a chance to buy them back.

Recognize the work?  Big Ed Douglas, during his better years.

LL

2259822IGP3451wholebelt.jpg

19 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That's for BBQ guns, cowboy style!  Who made them?  Always love holsters with metal toes.

Those were done for me by a feller in SE Texas by the name of Marvin Morgan. I found a picture of a single holster in a book of antique guns. It was designed to be worn horizontally across your waist to carry a single shot flint pistol.  The floral designs were actually embroidered. He's a hand stitcher but didn't want any part of doing that. :rolleyes:

Three Foot, I tried the BOSS, the Aero and a super expensive Juki style over a few year period and can say that all were a pia!!  The problem was trying to teach myownself out in the back shed, with no past background in machine sewing.  Hand sewing has one real downside if you are trying to make modern style lined holsters and belts plus sewn bullet loops, that downside is time and time is money.  I did my time with a stitching pony and even more so just using my knees as the clamp but for fun go over to YouTube and look up leather sewing with a clam or clamp.  These were the old style and apparently they were still being used through the years in less developed places and are recently making a resurgence.  Some of the younger generation have discovered this and are taking to this old technique and right well I might add.  

I just gave my old vintage stitching horse to a cousin earlier this year. He almost immediately bought a Cobra or Cowboy stitcher - I think it's the same parent company.

• 1 month later...

Lately asked a pard of our club who does some leather work to make me a holster for my 1911 and magazine pouches. I gave him a draft design I made of cardboard to show him what I have in mind. Major points were to have a covered trigger guard and a secure strap that doesn't bother and looks good when not in use, so the pivot point of the strap had to be chosen carefully. I wasn't disappointed with what I received, THANKS NP :)

WB-Holster-NP_1.jpg.8df365f1e36e0f8b612ed2c1d666c3c5.jpg

WB-Holster-NP_2.jpg.f2cbae79b9c37040a4437f6a0ac8fdcb.jpg

Btw, belt is made by Michigan Rattler, also awsome leather work!

Equanimous Phil

Gosh almighty I like that safety strap design EP!  Upon further examination I just like the way it all came together with three different designs used on the various parts and that is often very hard to accomplish.  This would make a great subject all its own, how often would a cowboy in the real world have gone to get all matching leather gear for his daily use equipment and does even a modern outdoors man put so much importance into matching each and every piece of his daily work gear to each other piece?? 

12 oz veg tan leather. Its workman like but 2 weekends ago it was a buff flat shoulder. Double loop strongside and triple loop cavalry draw. Some stamping and coffee dyed. I made the badge holder and pouch.

Doesn't compete with y'all but like my shootn I showed up.

16096967770197100929959130397470.jpg

16096967986378807477047756541942.jpg

1609696833647850021555219594674.jpg

This is what I kept busy on during the "lockdown" in Kaliforny. I cut the antler and put together the knife I didn't forge the blade.

20201116_202112.jpg

20200202_161506.jpg

20200202_161516.jpg

20210104_113844.jpg

Joker, we aint competitioning here pard BUT iffen I was a judging you can bet "I"  would give you lots of points for looking period correct to at least the 1880s.  If I get to make any more rigs you can bet mine will start out being pretty simple looking basic Slim Jims and 'Missouri Skintights'  to go with the cap and ball pistols and the conversions of such!  I really like the OLD 'old west'.  Not sure how true it is but remember reading a old magazine article  way back yonder thet claimed them old Missouri boys would wrap their pistol with a layer of light weight leather that was soaking wet and then nail the whole works to a log along the main seam.  After it dried good,, hard and tight they would affix a belt loop on back and have a blistering fast holster.  VIVA LA  Josie wales!

Thank you for the kind words. Eventually I aim for classic cowboy but I picked up a rossi to get in the game. 

I bought a buscedero rig for a BBQ rig and template for belts.

Archived