SASS Wire Forum

Let’s see your leather projects

Gunleather, SASS #46543

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Built this cartridge carrier to go on my .45 lc 1873 ‘Centennial’ carbine couple of months ago. Ran into some snags on the rifle build but I should be about done with it.  Part of my Rafe Covington impression. The rifle will also double as a Spanish Contract Musket. I’ll just put sling swivels and a sling on it and remove them for Covington’s ‘Centennial.’

FB26B572-2FEA-4D93-8EBA-A6FFBBC9D3E2.jpeg

C18F00D9-21FA-4DC1-A816-32B7D8212765.jpeg

I just started trying my  hand at leather working. I have made three holsters. The first one I made was a slim Jim style that would fit my 1851 Conversion. The second was a set that would work for 51 Navy BP, 51 Navy Conversions and also Ruger Vaqueros in 7 1/2" barrels. Learning as I go and enjoying it. I need to make me a belt though. Just got a strap cutter in last week so that should be coming soon. 

IMG_4902.jpg

IMG_5926a.jpg

On 8/15/2020 at 11:02 PM, watab kid said:

i cont work leather yet - but im always impressed with those that do ,  gotta say these are impressive examples 

I went to Tandy Leather classes for four Saturdays and needed about $75 of tools to get started.  Not sure if they are doing these classes on-site right now.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:48 AM, Rube Burrows said:

I just started trying my  hand at leather working. I have made three holsters. The first one I made was a slim Jim style that would fit my 1851 Conversion. The second was a set that would work for 51 Navy BP, 51 Navy Conversions and also Ruger Vaqueros in 7 1/2" barrels. Learning as I go and enjoying it. I need to make me a belt though. Just got a strap cutter in last week so that should be coming soon. 

IMG_4902.jpg

IMG_5926a.jpg

I buy my straps for belts and slings recut.  The supplier gets the thickness much more consistent than I can by cutting a shoulder.  Lots less waste too.

Your mileage may vary.

2 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Can't and don't do leather work.

I have Colt Faro do it for me.

I’m always happy to make great stuff for you Al. We go back a long time. 

3 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Can't and don't do leather work.

I have Colt Faro do it for me.

I’m always happy to make great stuff for you Al. We go back a long time. 

I just built this rig for Matt Black 

777911DC-678A-4172-887B-260CFC36D6AF.jpeg

Guys, there is some really goood looking stuff being shown here!  When it comes to being gifted I am afraid that I missed the boat BUT but take my word for it most of us can learn to make decent basic skills leather products.  A functional and attractive belt and/or a decent and functional leather gun holster.  I will go so far as to say that there are several companies out there who produce cowboy leather products that are far below what most of us are capable of doing, not going to mention any names here BUT most of you know of which brands I speak.  Getting started is easy and only moderately expensive, if you know what is necessary and what is not, in the way of tooling BUT the giant in the room can not be hidden, good quality leather!

Before looking anywhere else, go to YouTube and look through some of their videos on leather work and particularly holster making.  But you must realize that once you dive in ofr the penny, you will be in for the dollar and even IF your first rig is something for you to be proud of, you will have several times more into it than most good leather workers or good quality holster making companies would have charged you for a nice rig.  If you can find it, try looking for the series on YT by Weaver Leather, some pretty well produced videos on a wide range of projects including one on a nice lined semi-auto holster, from pattern layout to final buffing!  Looks like fun but remember they are trying to sell some stuff here also!!!

Colt, you need to issue a warning. Something like, caution: You may want to put on sunglasses before viewing these pictures. Or Caution: viewing these incredibly beautiful rigs may cause a sudden urge to buy one just like it.  

I made my wife a pair of these a couple of years ago. She just had to have a holster with a  toecap.

Bonnie's Holster.JPG

• 1 month later...

I am NOT soliciting business at this time! Hopefully, when a vaccine for this !$%&*# virus becomes available, the logistics of material supply, shipping, etc., will make things different.  But, if you want to look at some of my work, go to www.gunfighter.com/trailrider .  You will notice that I don't do a lot of tooling, like the wonderful work shown above. (Not cost-effective for the time it takes.)

Stay well and safe, Pards!

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0701 (2).JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

Beautiful work all.  I have been toying with the idea of making a few small lightweight leather projects, key fobs, wallets, etc.  My hands are so weak now that the gun leather just might be a bit much.  Leather is such a beautiful medium to work with.  Keep them coming, I really appreciate your work.  Red Cent, have you found that magical design yet that unleashes all of your draw speed???

Trailrider my old pard, I miss yo guys over on CAS and the last time I visited it looked as if a lot of our old leatherworking friends had passed.  We did have some really good times back when!

Slowhand, it seems that I have also incurred the wrath of Father Time. More accurately, God's plan.

The latest iteration of a speed rig offers great access to the revolver, enough retention, and a hole big enough that you cannot miss when re-holstering. What more could a buckle aspiring cowboy want?

I’ve made my own holsters... occasionally I still use ‘em... But, this Knife Sheath I had made for me by Slick Elic. It’s been a pretty popular design.  

I see a lot of stitching. Is that hand or machine? The machines I have seen cost a grand or more.

Well, just think of all them individual stitches as rounds of ammo thats got to be reloaded by hand in time fer the next big regional match and the time will jist fly by!  As to themsewing machine prices, probably somewhat in line with one of them high end "Big Blue" reloading machines??  

Archived