SASS Wire Forum

Weather

Just ghastly in Sacramento today...
I was outside in the heat relocating our outdoor thermometer, when I saw two hobbits dropping a ring into our swimming pool.

27 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

That's true, Dave.  Humidity makes a LOT of difference, BUT, 130 is hot no matter what.

https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_heatindex

Take you local temps and add the humidity from Atlanta, for example, to it. 

Humidity makes things nasty quickly.  It doesn't take a high actual temp to make things miserable.  You can have a high in the low 90's and a heat index around 120 if the humidity is high enough.

16 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

We got a problem here folks. All my popcorn is poppin. 

That can be a problem.

My Uncle Ralph was from Minnesota, youngest in a farming family.  One year they decided to plant twenty acres in popcorn.  As it happens, that turned out to be the hottest summer on record.  

Sure 'nuff... it got so danged hot that just before harvest all the corn popped.  Looked like a blizzard!

But the worst of it was they had fourteen cows froze to death.    cow.gif   whistling.gif

4 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

That's true, Dave.  Humidity makes a LOT of difference, BUT, 130 is hot no matter what.

https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_heatindex

Take you local temps and add the humidity from Atlanta, for example, to it. 

Humidity makes things nasty quickly.  It doesn't take a high actual temp to make things miserable.  You can have a high in the low 90's and a heat index around 120 if the humidity is high enough.

Forgot to add the tongue in cheek emoji. :D   My personal limit was about 105. After that it was just plain hot.

When I was stationed at China lake I often rode through Death Valley.  The weirdest sensation is the sharp rise in temperature combined with a turbulence in the air as you descend down into the valley from Towne Pass on US190. In only a very short distance the temperature feels like is rises at least 20 degrees then is gets progressivle hotter the deeper into the valley you go.

Worst part of summer the high desert was monsoon season. As the rise in humidity meant that your evaporative cooler was not going to work worth a hoot.

I remember getting caught is a couple of cloud bursts that lasted just long enough to get you good and wet. Then as you rode the moisture in your clothes would evaporate and you would end so cold you would be shivering even though the air temp was well above 90.

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

73 for a high today!! So comfortable!!B)

Of course they were wrong, it's 81 today!!:(

Archived