SASS Wire Forum

Weather

Eight o'clock in the evening, it's finally cooling down here in the Central Valley.

Thermometer on the screened in front porch, in the shade, sez 98°.  At 5:30 pm it said 112°.

S'posed to be a few degrees warmer over the next few days.  whew.gif

Hit 103 here today.  Sacramento, I saw, is supposed to be 105+ for about the next 6 days.  

8:18 PM PDT on August 14, 2020 (GMT -7) | 
Updated 9 seconds ago

--° | 61°
87 F
LIKE 86°
icon

Clear

N

Tomorrow is supposed to be "Much Cooler" at about 96, Sunday the same, and then 4 days of over 100.  
Very unusual for around here.  Heat waves last three days, then the fog comes back in.  
Not this time.

I'm in Orangevale, on the Folsom border in the Sacramento metro area.
This was taken on the grandson's play set... any day, nearly all the same.

We have now entered "Hot August Nights" where the 5am low temp is still 75 degrees.
Tuesday is supposed to be 111, and similar for the 2nd week.

2020.06.22-Thermometer.persepctive.360.sfw.jpg

meme.weather.hot.sacramento.nuclear.blast.360.sfw.jpg

No triple digits yet here but Friday was 99 with 90% humidity in Southern Illinois...yuck. Thank God for AC!

In the Phoenix area It's going to be 110° to 115° for the next 5 days,  but it's a dry heat. This summer we've already surpassed the record for the number of 110° plus temps. I think we're at 35 and counting. 

2 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

In the Phoenix area It's going to be 110° to 115° for the next 5 days,  but it's a dry heat. This summer we've already surpassed the record for the number of 110° plus temps. I think we're at 35 and counting. 

I think it closer to 38 and counting.

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hot here. My AC went out. No tech until Monday. Grrrrrrrr

I own a AC company in Phoenix we work 24/7 except Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years !

What's your unit do ?

4 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

No triple digits yet here but Friday was 99 with 90% humidity in Southern Illinois...yuck. Thank God for AC!

How well I remember. 

Just checked with my weather guesser: 

Richt now, we are hovering at 75 degrees Fahrenheit 

BUT, and there is that ugly but again, we are scheduled

to drift to 79 degrees Fahrenheit later today. 

This is distressing news and I have been forced to don my 

Desert Rat ensemble, of khaki shorts, web belt, combat boots, 

soft hat and cool libation. Mad Dogs and Englishmen and all that rot. 

4 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

I own a AC company in Phoenix we work 24/7 except Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years !

What's your unit do ?

Motor went out. Thought it was the capacitor but nope! The contacter seems okay. 
Now I get to relive my youth when I was poor and couldn’t afford air conditioning. Haha :lol:

Gawd...I swear. I am going auto correct geek hunting someday. 

Went to the NCOWS match this morning. Eight of us shot 6 stages an hour before the mercury rose above 100..

Official high at the local airport was 106. Finally dropped back down below 100 about 1915.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the same. :(

The up side is I finally got to shoot my 1860 Spencer. :) At 50 yards those 56-50 rounds rang the rifle targets with authority.  My face is still sore from the grin I was wearing. :D

Southern central Carolina.  Go outside & can't breathe.  Ohio last week felt like Heaven.  Now we're headed back to KY & expect it to be hotter than Hell's hinges.  It is what it is.

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

North of Phoenix, where the real Arizona is, we have yet to break a hundred this year.

Prescott is a very consistent 10 degrees cooler than Sacramento.
And... very good air quality, as well.

we are a cool comfortable 70s with low humidity here - bit of rain off and on , some high winds yesterday but just a breeze today , glad im not in that "weather" right now , 

30 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Prescott is a very consistent 10 degrees cooler than Sacramento.
And... very good air quality, as well.

And it has more FFL shops per capita than any other area in the country.  ?   This is my idea of heaven.

70 degrees F at 0330 when thunder woke us up.  Lots of lightning and thunder, some rain, heavy at times.  Now, at 0630 it is 73 degrees F, still occasional lightning and thunder, occasional minute or two of heavy rain, maybe a bit of hail.

OH!

And a Red Flag fire warning since yesterday evening.

The Alerts in our area:

Weather Alerts-Austin Creek Elementary School, CA

Severe Thunderstorm Warning until SUN 6:45 AM PDT

1 of 3

Action Recommended

Take shelter in place or per instructions

Issued By

San Francisco/Monterey - CA, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area

Sonoma County

Description

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 645 AM PDT FOR EASTERN MARIN...ALAMEDA...SAN MATEO...WESTERN SANTA CRUZ... EASTERN SONOMA...CONTRA COSTA...SAN FRANCISCO...NORTHWESTERN SANTA CLARA AND NAPA COUNTIES... At 609 AM PDT, several severe thunderstorms across the region were producing gusty erratic winds and frequent light, moving north at 40 to 50 mph. HAZARD...Erratic outflow wind gusts up to 60mph. Frequent lightning. SOURCE...Public. IMPACT...Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees. Wildfires may start in remote areas due to the lightning. Locations impacted include... San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, Fremont, Santa Rosa, Hayward, Sunnyvale, Concord, Santa Clara, Berkeley, Richmond, Antioch, Daly City, San Mateo, San Leandro, Livermore, Napa, Redwood City, Mountain View and Alameda. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Continuous cloud to ground lightning is occurring with these storms. Move indoors immediately. Lightning is one of nature's leading killers. Remember, if you can hear thunder, you are close enough to be struck by lightning. HAIL...<.75IN; WIND...70MPH

Red Flag Warning until MON 11:00 AM PDT

2 of 3

Action Recommended

Make preparations per the instructions

Issued By

Affected Area

North Bay Interior Valleys

Description

...RED FLAG WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM PDT MONDAY... AFFECTED AREA...The entire San Francisco Bay region including the Santa Cruz Mountains, the South Bay, East Bay Hills and North Bay. THUNDERSTORMS...Thunderstorms are forecast to develop over the South Bay and Santa Cruz region overnight and then spread northward through Sunday. Not all locations will see thunderstorms but any lightning strikes will likely lead to new fire starts given the current heat wave. A secondary pulse of moisture and instability arrives later Sunday into early Monday. WIND...Light wind except for breezy onshore winds in the afternoon near the coast. Locally gusty winds possible near any thunderstorms. HUMIDITY... Recoveries tonight in the 30s to 50s across the interior and 60s to 90s alongshore. Minimum humidity mid 10s to mid 20s percent across the higher elevations and interior & 30 to 50 percent nearshore and lower elevation for Sunday. IMPACTS...Increase in wildfire starts in proximity to thunderstorms due to lightning. Fires may spread rapidly due to dry fuels and, if nearshore, breezy onshore winds. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now...or will shortly. A combination of strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.

Heat Advisory until SUN 9:00 PM PDT

3 of 3

Action Recommended

Execute a pre-planned activity identified in the instructions

Issued By

Affected Area

San Francisco Bay Shoreline, North Bay Interior Valleys, Santa Cruz Mountains and Northern Salinas Valley/Hollister Valley and Carmel Valley

Description

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM PDT THIS EVENING... WHAT...Warm overnight temperatures will provide little relief with low expected to drop into the 60s in the valleys and 70s in the hills. Peak temperatures in the the upper 80s to upper 90s near the coast, locally into the low 100s for areas more than 20 miles from the coast on Sunday. WHERE...San Francisco Bay Shoreline, North Bay Interior Valleys, Santa Cruz Mountains and Northern Salinas Valley/Hollister Valley and Carmel Valley. WHEN...Until 9 PM PDT Sunday. IMPACTS...Elevated heat will increase the potential for heat related illnesses, particularly among vulnerable populations and those working outdoors or in areas without air conditioning. ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Temperatures on Sunday will be slightly cooler than Saturday. Temperatures will increase once again early next week with a second peak in the heat anticipated to arrive Tuesday into Wednesday of next week. Additional heat advisories may be necessary during this time frame. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors. Young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles under any circumstances. Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing when possible. To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency! Call 9 1 1.

More Information

...Extended Heat today through Wednesday across the San Francisco Bay Area and Central Coast... .A long duration heat wave will impact the region through at least Wednesday of next week, and possibly beyond. Excessive heat will target interior locations for the full duration of the heat event, with persistent daily afternoon highs in the upper 90s to mid 100s across the interior. Drastic temperature differences will exist from the coast to the interior and communities just a few to several miles inland may experience rapid warming into the upper 80s to 90s on individual days. In addition, minimal overnight relief is expected for locations above 500 feet where warm overnight lows will hover in the upper 60s to low 80s. Due to the long duration of this event, accumulating heat stress will be a significant impact for the general public, pets, vegetation, and livestock across the region, particularly those sensitive to the heat. Relatively cooler conditions are expected to persist near the immediate coast with highs in the 70s to 80s, though wind sheltered coastal areas could rise into the 90s or even locally 100 on the hottest days.
Hourly Forecast

We're gonna cool down to an icy 75° tonight.  

Sadly, where I am we usually get a few more degrees than the "official" site... wherever that is.

More sadly, we're having "rolling power cuts" during the hotter parts of the day.  :(

image.thumb.png.079f34f9c653873dffc189e21de9b1b9.png

24 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Heat index is over 100 every afternoon around here.  The highs have been the low 90's but you throw in 50-70% humidity and that 'feels like' temp hits triple digits.

That's where we have the edge. 15% humidity.

Bad news is the fire danger with humidity that low.

Good news is that it's in the low 50s in the morning.

39 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That's where we have the edge. 15% humidity.

Bad news is the fire danger with humidity that low.

Good news is that it's in the low 50s in the morning.

I'll take 100 out West over a heat index of over 100 around here any time.

The first time I was in Phoenix, they had a heat advisory.  They had forecast a high of 116 that day.  I went outside after 2pm just to see what 116 was like.

It was great in comparison to 100+ in the Deep South. 

The sun felt strong on the skin but it felt more like the low to mid 90's temperature wise.  I not only could breathe easily (the air's so thick around here that you need a sharp knife to cut it)  but the 1st inhale after walking outside wasn't as bad as it is when the temps are that high around here.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I'll take 100 out West over a heat index of over 100 around here any time.

The first time I was in Phoenix, they had a heat advisory.  They had forecast a high of 116 that day.  I went outside after 2pm just to see what 116 was like.

It was great in comparison to 100+ in the Deep South. 

The sun felt strong on the skin but it felt more like the low to mid 90's temperature wise.  I not only could breathe easily (the air's so thick around here that you need a sharp knife to cut it)  but the 1st inhale after walking outside wasn't as bad as it is when the temps are that high around here.

Yeah. I grew up in South Florida. That's why I'm here. ;)

On 8/15/2020 at 10:08 AM, DeaconKC said:

92 here Friday with 80 %humidity just down the road from ya in Ohio! It was 80 today and rained a bunch. Cooler days coming this week in the high 70's but summer's coming back next weekend according to the Weatherguessers!:P

Archived