SASS Wire Forum

Modified Cowboy dress at Firelands tomorrow.

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Modified Cowboy dress at Firelands tomorrow.
It's gonna be hot.
Bring water & stay hydrated
--Dawg

18 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What's modified dress?

Whatever is comfortable in the heat. 

32 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So it's about comfort rather than safety.

Pretty sure that dressing comfortably, so that your body can have adequate surface area to dissipate heat, and thus prevent heat exhaustion, heat prostration and/or heat stroke is safety. 

9 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

We had one CC and one BW shooter today. Both followed all requirements of their respective categories.

That’s cuz us B-Western are some tuff customers!:lol:

( hit 102 our last shoot)

I did wear a straw hat :(

9 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Pretty sure that dressing comfortably, so that your body can have adequate surface area to dissipate heat, and thus prevent heat exhaustion, heat prostration and/or heat stroke is safety. 

For me the difference maker is pants. Cuffed up long sleeves vs short sleeves doesn’t mean much. Shoes are shoes. Going to straw instead of felt helps with hats. 

Going from long pants to shorts in the Georgia summer heat makes a big difference. 

I drank 5-6 bottles of water today and came home about 2-3 lbs lighter than I left. That’s pretty typical for a summer match.

It's called Cowboy Action shooting. There is a dress code. For over 25 years we have managed to survive the extreme heat in the Central Valley of California for a couple hours while playing the game that we all signed up to play.  I realized that there are a few folks that want to dress down a bit during the hot season. But just how far does "Dressing Down" go?   Why would anyone join a Cowboy Action shooting club and then show up in Shorts? If you are that hot then just stay home and play in the sprinkler. This idea that it is necessary to avoid  Heat Stroke is just pure BS.

Snakebite

33 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Uhhhh...perhaps you need to study up on the subject a bit...just an idea;)

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So it's about comfort rather than safety.

Noting unsafe about a T-shirt snd shorts   They do at many clubs especially in Florida and it was like Florida here today! 

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

What about Classic Cowboy?

We had a Classic Cowboy today and for the record out 33 shooters only two wore shorts everyone else dressed as usual. It was close to 90 with really high humidity. 

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Noting unsafe about a T-shirt snd shorts   They do at many clubs especially in Florida and it was like Florida here today! 

Stating that it's "unsafe" is something that I have not done.

However, Shorts and t-shirts are not optimal when one is dealing with the Sun and Heat. So, being that most folks wear long pants and long sleeved shirts at a typical match, and being that these clothing items are actually safer to wear under these conditions, the relaxing of the SASS clothing requirements actually makes the shooter less safe then he/she would be normally.

Phantom

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Stating that it's "unsafe" is something that I have not done.

However, Shorts and t-shirts are not optimal when one is dealing with the Sun and Heat. So, being that most folks wear long pants and long sleeved shirts at a typical match, and being that these clothing items are actually safer to wear under these conditions, the relaxing of the SASS clothing requirements actually makes the shooter less safe then he/she would be normally.

Phantom

Tell that to clubs in Florida and Georgia!

Your words were so it’s  about comfort rather than safety? My reply was there’s nothing unsafe about shorts and T-shirts. I think that was a perfectly correct response to your statement. 

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Tell that to clubs in Florida and Georgia!

Your words were so it’s  about comfort rather than safety? My reply was there’s nothing unsafe about shorts and T-shirts. I think that was a perfectly correct response to your statement. 

Hell, I shot in South/Central Texas for 11 years...I know about heat and humidity.

The actual data on the subject would actually contradict your premise that Shorts and T-Shirts are safe in the environments that we are dealing with. But few folks want to take the time and understand this and rather just assume that all is good if it's more comfortable.

Do whatcha like, but don't claim that Shorts and T-Shirts are safe when one is in the direct Sun, in high temps and humidity.

Phantom

13 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Hell, I shot in South/Central Texas for 11 years...I know about heat and humidity.

The actual data on the subject would actually contradict your premise that Shorts and T-Shirts are safe in the environments that we are dealing with. But few folks want to take the time and understand this and rather just assume that all is good if it's more comfortable.

Do whatcha like, but don't claim that Shorts and T-Shirts are safe when one is in the direct Sun, in high temps and humidity.

Phantom

I thought you meant safety as in shooting. If people think they’re  cooler With shorts and T-shirts that’s up to them. All the clubs here do it when it’s real hot and humid. I don’t but I have no problem with others dressing how they want as long as the club allows it. 

If the club announces cowboy casual, I for one don't care what folks wear as long as they have eye and ear protections with them. Typically no ball caps, or tennis shoes, but I've forgotten to announce that at times and honor what people are wearing. During the summer our clubs often offer relaxed dress code, the decision is made by the club president running that particular shoot. We have 6 clubs at our range in Sacramento, they all provide cowboy casual days. 

I shot my first cowboy casual match several years ago in Camp Verde Arizona and loved the idea!

Phantom is correct about long sleeves and pants in the sun being better, but folks can make their own decisions.

Tully 

Absolutely  - I agree on the idea of letting folks make their own decision.

The thing is, I've heard (most of the time), it espoused that it's safer...please reference the post from Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme 

And this is simply not true.

Phantom

Some clubs relax dress requirements during the summer and some don’t. I shoot regardless of that policy. If it’s relaxed I dress in a manner that my 57 years of experience tells me is best for a hot humid Southern summer. If the dress code isn’t relaxed then I follow the code. Either way I shoot. 

There are some who find a relaxed dress code offensive. I guess they’re as free to not attend those type matches as others are to skip matches that require full attire during the summer.

It’s a matter of priorities. Mine is shoot with my pards. Others have different priorities. I’m fine with that too.

I’ve lived in Arizona, Colorado, and most states in the Southeast. There’s definitely a difference between dry and wet heat. In high humidity heat the human cooling system doesn’t work correctly. Yeah, you sweat, but it doesn’t evaporate, so most of the cooling effect is lost. In a dry heat, yeah it’s hot, but if you can keep up your intake of fluids and stay out of the sun it’s tolerable. Don’t keep fluid intake up or stay in the sun too long and you’re in trouble.

Different types of heat, different solutions. Don’t believe me? Then why are swamp coolers a thing in Arizona and not in Alabama? Why public misting stations in Phoenix and not in Atlanta? Why don’t AC systems come standard in Denver, but you would never sell a new home without one in Tampa?

I’m with Rye. If folks are within club rules, I’m good.

We’re all on the same team pards. Match Directors are trying to make the best decisions on the ground based on their specific situations.  Maybe we could cut them a break and let them make their own calls rather than assuming that what is true in our region applies everywhere else.

6 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Just don't try and sell that line about it being for safety reasons.

Phantom

I never said anything about safety. It’s about whatever shooters are comfortable with in the heat and humidity .

So do something fun. Give options for "relaxed " dress code. Something like a kilt. . There is always a way to keep it safe yet make it fun.

19 minutes ago, Dirty Dutch Brody said:

So do something fun. Give options for "relaxed " dress code. Something like a kilt. . There is always a way to keep it safe yet make it fun.

Not too many guys want to wear kilts.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I never said anything about safety. It’s about whatever shooters are comfortable with in the heat and humidity .

I just want to make sure you understand that I'm not trying to pick on you...nor anyone else that takes advantage of a "Relaxed" dress code.

My whole point is that there are some that state that they implement a relaxed dress code for safety reasons. And it simply is not true that allowing Shorts and T-Shirts adds safety to the event. It actually makes the event less safe.

It's a whole different argument to say it's more comfortable...but most clubs that I've been involved with that utilized a Relaxed Summer Dress Code, do so under the premise that it's safer.

Phantom

24 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I just want to make sure you understand that I'm not trying to pick on you...nor anyone else that takes advantage of a "Relaxed" dress code.

My whole point is that there are some that state that they implement a relaxed dress code for safety reasons. And it simply is not true that allowing Shorts and T-Shirts adds safety to the event. It actually makes the event less safe.

It's a whole different argument to say it's more comfortable...but most clubs that I've been involved with that utilized a Relaxed Summer Dress Code, do so under the premise that it's safer.

Phantom

I’m curious, how are shorts less safe than long pants?

How are T shirts less safe than cuffed up long sleeve shirts?

Definitely not trying to start an argument, that’s just a concept I haven’t heard before, maybe I can learn something.

BTW @Snakebite having seen a classmate die of heatstroke during two a day football practice back in the seventies, and having seen a cowboy pard get increasingly confused and finally pass out from the heat, I have to respectfully disagree that heatstroke is ‘BS.’

28 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

I hear what you're saying believe me, I worry about getting sunburn myself. I've had a little bout with skin cancer a few years ago. (One spot that they cut out) so I don't want to take any chances. That said just so I'm clear, none of the clubs around here say that it's "safer" just more comfortable. To each his own I guess! 

Happy Trails, Rye

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

I’m curious, how are shorts less safe than long pants?

How are T shirts less safe than cuffed up long sleeve shirts?

Definitely not trying to start an argument, that’s just a concept I haven’t heard before, maybe I can learn something.

BTW @Snakebite having seen a classmate die of heatstroke during two a day football practice back in the seventies, and having seen a cowboy pard get increasingly confused and finally pass out from the heat, I have to respectfully disagree that heatstroke is ‘BS.’

Studies that I and a friend looked up some years ago. Can't recall specifics, but the conclusions were just as I stated.

This information is out there. Reference workplace safety. 

Phantom

37 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Studies that I and a friend looked up some years ago. Can't recall specifics, but the conclusions were just as I stated.

This information is out there. Reference workplace safety. 

Phantom

Yeah I tried my Googlefu, but I didn't come up with anything that stated shorts were less safe in the heat, nor did I find anything that said shorts were more safe in the heat. 

I found  stuff about long pants being safer due to exposure to the sun, or exposure to environmental hazards like chemicals, or external trauma type stuff, but nothing about shorts being better or worse for heat related safety issues.   

I think humidity, wind, the availability of shade, and probably personal factors like pigmentation and such play a role in whether shorts or long pants are best for hot weather.  JMO.  I know that subjectively the answer is clear for me.  Shorts feel cooler and sunburn isn't really a factor for me here in the Southeast.  

If I were in Colorado again I would be much more concerned about exposure to the sun and dehydration and less concerned about air circulation.  

I respect MD's that make calls they believe are in the best interests of their members, even when those calls may draw criticism.  I particularly respect calls that give agency to the customer.  To me it's a way of saying I respect your intelligence enough to let you make your own decision about what's in your best interest. 

I'm with Phantom on this. :o

People who live in deserts (No. Africa, etc.) wear caftans that cover their arms, legs, and torso, why?

I prefer long sleeves and skirts year round. In the winter I can wear ski underwear under them. In summer, I can go for gauze, etc.

Here is an Australian Government Website that explains the clothing that is best in hot weather. https://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/F_I/Heat-and-what-to-wea

Two points are:

• Wear clothes that cover as much skin as possible to protect against permanent skin damage.
  • Use long sleeves, pants and skirts in a light-weight, loose fitting fabric to provide protection for the sun

I respect the clothing requirements as stated in the SHB regardless of what a MD chooses to allow.

Archived