SASS Wire Forum

Why All the Fuss Over 9mm?

Is having tons of 9mm akin to having a pallet of toilet paper?   Maybe I’m missing something but I’ll take a shotgun and an. AR every time over a pistol for keeping the zombies at bay so that’s where my resources are going. Sure it’s nice to be able and afford lots of pistol ammo but hopefully it won’t take more than a clip full to get to the shotgun.

15 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It's more than just having enough to get thru an encounter. Some of us like to remain proficient with our guns and practice. 

With the price of ammo what it is now I practice by pointing my finger and yelling "BANG" really loud.

Practice and training is not just standing in a lane on a static range and putting 50 rounds into a paper target. Real practice and training involves shooting hundreds of rounds on a dynamic range multiple times per year to stay safe and proficient. I know many, many people who will go through 8000 to 10,000 rounds of 9 mm per year and these people are not in law enforcement and not in competition. They just enjoy shooting.

If you feel comfortable having 2 boxes of ammo in your house and you think that will be sufficient for the rest of your life then fine. Your decision. Plenty of people do not share that opinion.

Ammo scarcity is the same thing with carbine/shotgun training/shooting. You can't find 5.56 anywhere either right now. 12 gauge buckshot is pretty scarce as well, especially the quality stuff.

Factor in the uncertainty of a November election swinging to 100% anti firearm candidates into positions of power and ammo could dry up for the rest of our lives. This is not like toilet paper, this is about the future of what we do.

1 hour ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Is having tons of 9mm akin to having a pallet of toilet paper?   Maybe I’m missing something but I’ll take a shotgun and an. AR every time over a pistol for keeping the zombies at bay so that’s where my resources are going. Sure it’s nice to be able and afford lots of pistol ammo but hopefully it won’t take more than a clip full to get to the shotgun.

9mm is the most popular handgun ammo. That’s why people hoard it and don’t forget most of them don’t reload.

32 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Practice and training is not just standing in a lane on a static range and putting 50 rounds into a paper target. Real practice and training involves shooting hundreds of rounds on a dynamic range multiple times per year to stay safe and proficient. I know many, many people who will go through 8000 to 10,000 rounds of 9 mm per year and these people are not in law enforcement and not in competition. They just enjoy shooting.

If you feel comfortable having 2 boxes of ammo in your house and you think that will be sufficient for the rest of your life then fine. Your decision. Plenty of people do not share that opinion.

Ammo scarcity is the same thing with carbine/shotgun training/shooting. You can't find 5.56 anywhere either right now. 12 gauge buckshot is pretty scarce as well, especially the quality stuff.

Factor in the uncertainty of a November election swinging to 100% anti firearm candidates into positions of power and ammo could dry up for the rest of our lives. This is not like toilet paper, this is about the future of what we do.

Can't argue with that.  What I meant was it seems to me folks especially newcomers should focus on the shotgun,, AR types or some kind of repeating rifle, and pistol in that order.  With regard to proficiency and range time at this point you either got it or you don't.  I say that because newbies can't risk too much of their ammo supply on target practice and old salts who usually burn thousands either don't really need all that much practice or they too are hesitant to use up their stores.  Hey, I'm all for stocking up and practice it just seems that most of the people looking for ammo at this point have their priorities out of sort.

Yellowhouse Sam,

Sadly there are millions of new gun owners in this country that will not be able to practice enough to become safe and proficiant due to the forces that have led to a nationwide ammo shortage.

I think in many cases a lot of these newcomers might be forced to go with whatever firearm is available for purchase anymore. I think the 12 gauge shotgun is probably be best choice for home defense.  Generally the 12 gauge shotgun is the most easily afforded and ammunition fairly easy to acquire even if it is just birdshot. The 12 gauge shotgun does however require some training. Hard to beat a 12 gauge at close range to get your point across.

I do see proficiency especially with a handgun as a skill that will erode over time. It's fairly easy to meet a qualifier for a concealed carry course but that means nothing in the broader sense in the world of handgunning and self defense. Proficiency with a handgun is indeed a perishable skill that does require routine maintenance to keep sharp. How much is dermined by many variables and differs from shooter to shooter. Therefore the 9 mm being probably the most popular handgun cartridge in the world and owned by millions and millions of people is certainly suffering a food shortage of sorts.

There is certainly some panic buying going on right now but that does not mean that the panic is irrational or illogical. Plenty of reasons to be concerned right now.

Stay safe.

1 hour ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

So, I guess you only need enough ammo for a monthly match every month, right?

Yellowhouse, 

The run on 9mm is not hard to understand. Lots of first time gun owners, and 9mm is the most popular centerfire handgun caliber. Long time 9mm owners know that with the increase in gun sales and the current social tension, there would be a run on 9mm so they bought what they can when they can. The first time owners want something they can keep with them for personal protection and there were a lot of 9mms for sale before the pandemic and the riots. I agree that an AR or shotgun would be preferable to a 9mm if you had to defend yourself, but taking your AR or shotgun to Walmart to buy toilet paper might get you more attention than to want. If you have one gun, as a lot of people now do, you need one you can have with you. Yea, I know training and practice are needed, but when people are scared they don't always think things through. 

Crusty Steve

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It's more than just having enough to get thru an encounter. Some of us like to remain proficient with our guns and practice. 

I've heard some people do that but I don't believe it!

I have talked to dealers about the first time gun buyers.  Most don't have a clue. Just pick something that fits their budget.   I'd guess they don't have a place to shoot it or any kind of training available.  Probably most will leave the gun in the box and ammo in the dresser drawer.   

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So, I guess you only need enough ammo for a monthly match every month, right?

When it comes to my cowboy ammo yes.  I feel like it's cheating to practice.  Kinda like studying for a test. 

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I have talked to dealers about the first time gun buyers.  Most don't have a clue. Just pick something that fits their budget.   I'd guess they don't have a place to shoot it or any kind of training available.  Probably most will leave the gun in the box and ammo in the dresser drawer.   

I'm looking forward to next year when a lot of these guns are available for cheap on the used market.  I'm also hopeful we gain a large percentage of those as new gun people and allies in the gun rights debate. 

21 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

9mm is the most popular handgun ammo. That’s why people hoard it and don’t forget most of them don’t reload.

Yep.

PLUS:   the latest rise in popularity of PCC.

..........WIdder

17 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Yep.

PLUS:   the latest rise in popularity of PPC.

..........WIdder

Pay Per Click marketing? 

Me thinks you mean PCC... :P

I don't own any semis.. just revolvers.
My practice day is with 22LR after my weekly trap shoot.
I do not want to squander my precious 38/44 when I have buckets of 22LR.

I have 12-gauge buck and slugs in stock.. but not enough.
This would be my first choice to defend my home against ANTIFA types.

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Pay Per Click marketing? 

Me thinks you mean PCC... :P

Thanks, and yes.   I got 'happy fingers' and hit the 'P' to many times..... :lol:

I'll go back and correct it.    Glad somebody is looking out after me... ;)

..........Widder

Archived