SASS Wire Forum

Emergency Alert

Alpo

Looks like a fake pup up. And somewhat amateurish.

Most likely, a malicious ad on either that web site or on other browser tab (if you have more than one open).

Less likely, your system has been hacked.

So let's assume a malicious ad. Don't click the OK button, shut down your browser and try again. You may even need to clear cookies and cache to get rid of it. But if it is a malicious ad on a site you visit, it will come back.

There was a forum which if I went to it, then in an hour or so, another site would have a popup with either a virus warning (fake) or the "you have one an iPhone" pop up.

The look of your screen shot suggests some new player is trying to get the same tools to work. The last line of text on it suggests some attempt to run a script on your machine.

Wife got a call from "the electric company" saying our electricity will be shut off in 45 minutes unless she presses [1].  She didn't and hung up.  Still waiting, and that was yesterday.  My social security is supposed to be "shut off", my roof is about to start leaking from hail damage (we are in such a bad drought that we can hardly open the windows for the smoke from wildfires. I'd love to be able to send an electric shock back down the phone line for these scammers!

At 1:30 this morning the phone went off. Flash flood alert. I pushed okay.

At 1:45 it did it again. I turned the phone off.

It's 7:15 this morning I got up and turned the phone on, and it started with that nonsense. Every 3 minutes, until I finally found where they hid the notification controls on this piece of crap Alcatel phone (public service announcement - never ever EVER buy an Alcatel phone) and turned them off.

I think it was truly that the dangerous weather alert notification thing went crazy.

Archived