SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Hunt with their SASS guns?

Diamond Jake

I Just got on this forum today, so I don't know if people post this kind of thing here.  But I'm trying to find who's interested in more than the matches.

I started getting cowboy guns years before I decided to try Cowboy Action.  Last season I decided to take my Uberti 1873 out for deer, hoping to get a fat doe for the freezer.  Instead this big boy stepped out.  One shot through the heart and he was mine.   45 Colt, 250 gr RNFP.

PC140007.JPG

PC140008.JPG

Nicely done.

I have not taken a deer with any of my match guns, but put a couple in the freezer with a muzzleloader (.54 Hawken).  Feels good doesn’t it!  :)

The lever action rifle was the primary tool for putting meat on the table for many decades. It remains a viable choice. If I were a hunter I would feel perfectly fine with my 1860 Henry or ‘94 Marlin.

Congratulations DJ!

First year I had it, I took a doe with my 1866 Uberti Yellow Boy in .45 Colt with a 250 grain bullet and Clays.

A few years later I was successful with my 1885 High Wall .45-70 with a 350 lead bullet driven by Trail Boss, taking a buck who obliged me by hanging around an apple tree.

Sadly, a lot smaller than the nice one you took.

I have often thought of hunting with my Marlin 1894, but that time has passed. 

Figure it would be a fine tool for the local critters. Funny thing is I traveled many

miles to hunt in my youth, but when I sold my home, I had a small herd in my yard

feasting on my Shrubbery.

I almost bought a Rossi '92 in 454 Casull at a gun show a couple years ago, but I'm saving up for an 1885 Highwall in 45/70 or 45/90.

BTW, that was in a very thick 100 acre woods in Davidson County TN, about 15 minutes from downtown Nashville.  Perfect place for a lever gun.  I hope next year to get one with my revolver.  I often have deer come within 15 yards of me.

My SxS Beretta GR-2, 12-gauge with 30-inch barrels that I bought in 1974 was a hunting bird gun long before it became my SASS main match shotgun.

Beretta Model GR-2 in 12-gauge

fNKYBF.jpg

ZPIR2C.jpg

OcxVj3.jpg

Took my 73 .45 Colt but never saw anything the days I went out with it. Took Great-Grandpa's original 1884 Trapdoor and got a nice Buck out around 105 yards through some very thick ground cover. I figured that 405 lead would go through anything and it did.

8 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

I almost bought a Rossi '92 in 454 Casull at a gun show a couple years ago, but I'm saving up for an 1885 Highwall in 45/70 or 45/90.

When you get around to buying that Highwall go with the 45-70.

A friend of mine (not a cowboy shooter) got a couple deer on his property with a Marlin .357 Cowboy rifle with an octagon barrel. He also has a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in .45-70 that he uses also with some success.

If I still hunted I would. No time to hunt anymore though and I really miss those days  spent in the field.

:(

My property is very heavily wooded as well, similar to Diamond Jake's land.  Last year I bagged a spike in the 120 lb. range with a scoped .270 which isn't necessary in the short ranges of my woods.  From now on I'll be hunting with my Uberti '66 carbine in .44WCF.  Can't wait to bust one with BP rounds.

BTW, nice orange cowboy hat, DJ!

Way before SASS I hunted with my grandpas 92  , 44-40 and shot a few deer, an antelope, and one black bear. Haven't hunted in many many years since I lost the desire to kill an animal. No reflection on hunting or hunters.  Both are needed to control the herds.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

My property is very heavily wooded as well, similar to Diamond Jake's land.  Last year I bagged a spike in the 120 lb. range with a scoped .270 which isn't necessary in the short ranges of my woods.  From now on I'll be hunting with my Uberti '66 carbine in .44WCF.  Can't wait to bust one with BP rounds.

BTW, nice orange cowboy hat, DJ!

Thanks.  This video explains the big orange hat band, plus shows some closeups of the gun and the recovery of the deer in the woods.

I have taken  mule deer with a Marlin CB 1894 and a OMV in .44 mag and   elk with a .54 cal Hawkin and a Shiloh Sharps Business Rifle in 45-70. 

Only once with a rifle.  Uberti 1873 with a 24" octagonal barrel in .44-40 that my wife gave me for Christmas in 1982.  Took an eating size four point muley.

Now, the shotgun is another matter.  I came back from Japan in 1974 with an SKB 200E.  I hunted pheasant, chukkars and huns, little top knotted Gambrel's quail, and other game birds, even a few ducks.....and the occasional rabbit....with it for twenty five tears, even after I disabled the ejectors.

I had Johnny Meadows re-activate the ejectors for me a couple of years ago.

I shot a bobcat with a SAA .45 once, but that wasn't hunting, that was reflex.  Only took one shot and surprised the bejabbers out of me.

I use my 12 ga SXS as my main small game gun (unless I'm turkey hunting).  Mostly squirrel and rabbit hunting, but I might carry #6 shot in the left barrel and a slug in the right if deer season is still open.  That's why I haven't deactivated the safety.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Bye the way, Jake; WELCOME TO THE SALOON.

Yeah, Jake, welcome.  Over 1110,000. Great googlie mooglies, that's a LOT of shooters.  We could almost start our own political party......if we could only agree on something.  :P

My C. Sharps .50-140 has taken a bison.  I have won and placed with it in some SASS "Long Range" competitions over the years.

My .35 Remington Marlin is a non SASS lever gun that has collected countless deer since I purchased it from Wards as a teenager j1952.

My .44 non SASS S&W in .44 Remington Magnum is my elk and deer gun.

OOOPS!!! I forgot to mention that my AyA Matador 10 gauge magnum double has been my duck and goose gun for sixty years spelled occasionally by my Ithaca 10 gauge magnum semi automatic.

I have used my 8 gauge double for non migratory birds and on varmints but it's a tad heavy!!!   :D

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Feral pigs are a problem down here.  There is no season on them, it is open season year around. . 

I use my 1886 in 45-70. 

That may be overkill for fire ants, however. 

W.K.

I’ve mixed it up with fire ants before ain’t no such thing as overkill for them

When I started in SASS I didn’t need to buy a single gun they were already in my safe

Many years ago I took a nice fat doe with the Model 92 in 38/40 that I inherited from my grandfather. I still hunt occasionally with a Rossi 45 colt 

My daughter and I use our lever guns in the woods every year. Sometimes I even get to shoot a deer. Kaya is still waiting on a nice one. She keeps getting the little ones. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Back when I first got my 1885 I took it deer hunting but with no luck. I did find a bobcat however and nailed it at about 60 yards. Not enough left of it to harvest the fur though. :rolleyes:

Archived