SASS Wire Forum

Left handed Gunslingers

Rye Miles #13621

Since today was Left Handed day (Aug 13) I wondered about TV and movie and real old west lefties.

The only ones I can think of is Jim Hardy of Tales pf West Fargo (Dale Roberston) and Little Joe of Bonanza (Micheal Landon)

Anyone else??

Don't know if he really was or not, but Dan Duryea's character in Winchester '73 was left handed.

They decided - Jim and Jack - that this feller who had just called Jim out was left handed. Right after this picture, Jim slugged him from behind, and while he was lying on the floor unconscious Jim busted his right trigger finger with a flat iron. Then Jack mentioned that from the way he was wearing his gun it appeared he was left-handed, so Jim busted his left trigger finger also.

Support-Your-Local-Gunfighter-Main-Revie

Emmett (Scott Glenn) in Silverado was a lefty, as was Paul Newman as Billy the Kid in Left Handed Gun.

Val Kilmer was ambidextrous as Doc Holliday in Tombstone.  Watch him spin his guns in the DVD about making the movie; better than Johnny Ringo!

11 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Emmett (Scott Glenn) in Silverado was a lefty, as was Paul Newman as Billy the Kid in Left Handed Gun.

Val Kilmer was ambidextrous as Doc Holliday in Tombstone.  Watch him spin his guns in the DVD about making the movie; better than Johnny Ringo!

Paul Newman in the left handed gun was a huge mistake as they didn't figure out the tintype of the Billy was reversed plus it was a terrible movie which is why I didn't list it but you are correct he was left handed in the movie!

I forgot about Scott Glen in Silverado, gonna have to watch that movie again!!

Anthony Perkins in Tin Star.  I just watched it the other day and noticed:

E54C0669-8351-4190-9E11-8369B22FCE39.jpeg

Michael Landon in Bonanza:

1410ED14-C84E-4735-B662-1EB6A2ED62E5.jpeg

Here’s a reach!  Christian Slater in Dawn Rider:

D43E2EB2-7250-45B7-B035-9CBDAB074B11.jpeg

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Don't know if he really was or not, but Dan Duryea's character in Winchester '73 was left handed.

They decided - Jim and Jack - that this feller who had just called Jim out was left handed. Right after this picture, Jim slugged him from behind, and while he was lying on the floor unconscious Jim busted his right trigger finger with a flat iron. Then Jack mentioned that from the way he was wearing his gun it appeared he was left-handed, so Jim busted his left trigger finger also.

Wasn't that "Support Your Local Gunfighter"? 

I thought winchester 73 was black and white. 

I was talking about two different movies, and I noticed after I posted that I had forgotten to say that the second paragraph was about Support Your Local Gunfighter.

Winchester '73 was not only black and white, but the star was James Stewart, not James Garner.

Dan Duryea, the bad guy.

winchester-73-lg.jpg

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Chuck Connors

I just saw an episode of the Rifleman he shoots right handed !

12 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... this whole topic seems rather "sinister" to me ........ :ph34r:

As a sinistral, I resemble that remark.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just saw an episode of the Rifleman he shoots right handed !

Here’s a comment from imdb

Chuck Connors was left-handed. In the opening credits he holds the barrel with the left hand while operating the rifle with his right hand. At the turkeyshoot. At the saloon and subsequent episodes in the body of the show he holds with the right while operating the rifle with the left. The end credit art shows him holding the operating end in the right hand.

Wiki says Chuck Connors batted left and threw left as a pro baseball player.  He considered "Lefty" as a nickname but settled on "Chuck" because he did not like his given name, Kevin.

But, in his death scene in "The Big Country" he is holding the revolver in his right hand.  Camera angle demand? Ambidextrous?

Good actor in any case.

17 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Wiki says Chuck Connors batted left and threw left as a pro baseball player.  He considered "Lefty" as a nickname but settled on "Chuck" because he did not like his given name, Kevin.

But, in his death scene in "The Big Country" he is holding the revolver in his right hand.  Camera angle demand? Ambidextrous?

Good actor in any case.

Director demanded?

There's more lefties that are ambidextrous than righties, my son is a lefty and plays guitar right handed and very good I may add. He does a few other things righty but most left.

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

The guy with the busted fingers was Ben Cooper, one of the real life fast guns and a very nice man.  He visited the SASS range (Cajon Cowboys) at Gem Ranch once.  He was a friend ofSammy Davis Jr. and taught him to draw and shoot.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There's more lefties that are ambidextrous than righties, my son is a lefty and plays guitar right handed and very good I may add. He does a few other things righty but most left.

I won't say I am ambidextrous but I shoot long guns right handed, because I'm right eye dominant. Pistols, I can shoot with and miss with either hand, hence me shooting duelist. Anyone that has ever seen me try to write or throw right handed knows that I'm not ambidextrous.

However, I play guitar right handed, although not particularly well, because I don't practice enough, and it seems punching things in karate for years has had its effect on my fingers. It was pointed out to me that instruments don't know what "handed" you are, and to play well you need to be adept with both hands, especially if finger picking. As from a classically trained pianist I dated put it, "have you ever seen a left handed piano?" (Music for the left hand being a different thing entirely)

49 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I won't say I am ambidextrous but I shoot long guns right handed, because I'm right eye dominant. Pistols, I can shoot with and miss with either hand, hence me shooting duelist. Anyone that has ever seen me try to write or throw right handed knows that I'm not ambidextrous.

However, I play guitar right handed, although not particularly well, because I don't practice enough, and it seems punching things in karate for years has had its effect on my fingers. It was pointed out to me that instruments don't know what "handed" you are, and to play well you need to be adept with both hands, especially if finger picking. As from a classically trained pianist I dated put it, "have you ever seen a left handed piano?" (Music for the left hand being a different thing entirely)

Whoever said martial arts were good for you lied. My hands are arthritic and both my hips are degenerated to the point that walking is difficult 

Archived