SASS Wire Forum

B-Western "no lug soles"?

Tom Bullweed

SASS handbook says, for B-Western, says boots required, traditional, fancy,..., no lug soles.

What exactly is a lug sole?

Is any rubber sole a lug sole?

Is a lug sole one like a modern work boot with indentations, etc, or any rubber sole.

Help before I buy new boots!!

That's not a lug, it's a light tread. Think Vibram soles for lugs, like hiking boots.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:13 PM, Tom Bullweed said:

Yeah or nay for BW? 

See image:

20200813_201220.jpg

Tom,

Those are soles are fine.  Walking or running with spurs is the challenge!  If I did it I'd probably have a faceplant on every stage :D

This is an example of what is not acceptable for B-Western:  

324726262_download(1).jpg.3f0f9914e5dee726d052d7cb7487d3a6.jpg

Ok, I have a bone to pick here. We are a sport/game that says the 1st 3 things of importance to us are in this order: Safety, Safety and SAFETY. MANY (not all) of the best looking  flashy B Western boots have very smooth, which equals slippery, soles. Now add wearing spurs to the equation and you do have a higher risk of slipping and possibly falling which if it happens during the course of a stage with loaded guns can be dangerous.

I am not advocating for us to wear baseball spikes but only suggesting that the sole of a B Western boot be safer and perhaps the ROC MIGHT want to consider that.

YMMV

I rarely see cowboys wearing boots with lug soles. 

The few times I have they were butt ugly shoes that probably violate costuming rules, worn by folks who probably think they get a competitive advantage by wearing them.

I'm not saying there isn't acceptable footwear that has lug soles, but I've never seen anyone actually wearing any.

46 minutes ago, Wyatt Hurts SASS#72737 said:

Ok, I have a bone to pick here. We are a sport/game that says the 1st 3 things of importance to us are in this order: Safety, Safety and SAFETY. MANY (not all) of the best looking  flashy B Western boots have very smooth, which equals slippery, soles. Now add wearing spurs to the equation and you do have a higher risk of slipping and possibly falling which if it happens during the course of a stage with loaded guns can be dangerous.

I am not advocating for us to wear baseball spikes but only suggesting that the sole of a B Western boot be safer and perhaps the ROC MIGHT want to consider that.

YMMV

Your mistaking the idea that our game says "Safety at all costs". It doesn't, but rather"Safety at all costs while at the same time abiding by our rules".

All sports / games etc abide by this concept. If we tried to exist in a world that only allowed activities that required "Safety" at all costs, we'd exist in a fricken padded room for our entire lives.

Phantom

34 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Your mistaking the idea that our game says "Safety at all costs". It doesn't, but rather"Safety at all costs while at the same time abiding by our rules".

All sports / games etc abide by this concept. If we tried to exist in a world that only allowed activities that required "Safety" at all costs, we'd exist in a fricken padded room for our entire lives.

Phantom

Never my intention to look for safety at ALL costs nor to look to break rules. The rules of SASS have and continue to evolve. All I am raising here is the possibility that allowing a better bit of traction might avoid a real issue. I have seen many topics discussed here as possible enhancements to safety or means to avoid UNNECESSARY risk. I am merely suggesting that this issue, like all those others, be looked at.

A HISTORY of SASS B-Western rule changes re "BOOTS"

BW rule changes 2009:

Boots are required and must be of traditional design with fancy stitching or multicolor fancy design with smooth, non-grip enhancing soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not allowed. 

BW rule changes 2010

Boots are required and must be of traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color fancy design with smooth, non-grip enhancing (i.e. NO “lugs”) soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not allowed. 

BW rule changes 2014

Boots are required and must be of traditional design and embellished with fancy stitching, multi-color fancy design, conchos or spots. Soles must be non-grip enhancing (i.e., “NO Lug”) soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not allowed.

The definition of "non-grip enhancing" under SASS rules is NO LUG SOLES.

"LUG SOLES" have been illustrated by using THIS EXAMPLE:

image.png

Archived