SASS Wire Forum

Hodgdon Triple Seven FFG shotgun shells

Hardcash

Would someone be so kind and private message me a recipe for Shotgun shells using Triple Seven FFG or let me know if I cannot use FFG for shotshells? 

I ended up with 2 ea 1 pound containers that I'd like to load for Sporting Clay shooting. 

I normally use modern powder, 1 oz lead at around 1200 to 1250 fps. 

I am not wanting a CAS load since I shoot modern powder.

This is close to a load that Hodgdon once published:

1 1/8 oz shot

Claybuster red 1138-12 wad

about 65 grains Triple Seven (using a BP measure)

primer of your choice.

These pattern just like Gun Clubs.  They will leave melted plastic in your shotgun barrels.  You will only get a couple hundred rounds from your 2-lbs of powder.  Toss your hulls after firing.

Are you sure you want to shoot black powder shotgun shells at skeet....pretty hard to see any followup shots or shooting doubles.

Kajun

Triple Seven smoke is more white in color than real BP which is black.  As far as amounts I load Triple 7 FFg sometimes and I use 1oz of shot in a STS short brass shell with a Win 209 primer and a Lee 2.2cc dipper.

Kajun

2 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

This is close to a load that Hodgdon once published:

1 1/8 oz shot

Claybuster red 1138-12 wad

about 65 grains Triple Seven (using a BP measure)

primer of your choice.

These pattern just like Gun Clubs.  They will leave melted plastic in your shotgun barrels.  You will only get a couple hundred rounds from your 2-lbs of powder.  Toss your hulls after firing.

This is  the load I use.... only I use a 3cc Lee scoop instead of 65 grains. I have not weighed a 3cc scoop.

6 minutes ago, Hardcash said:

What a BP measure?  I am not trying to be a Smart Ass, but isn't 65 grains, 65 grains ? 

Also, does Triple seven smoke like real Black Powder?

BP was originally measured by volume not weight. If you buy a BP powder flask the spouts are marked in volume grains. 

65 grains by volume equals 4.33 cc which equals 50.2 grains by weight of 777.

Here is a handy conversion chart.

30 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

BP was originally measured by volume not weight. If you buy a BP powder flask the spouts are marked in volume grains. 

65 grains by volume equals 4.33 cc which equals 50.2 grains by weight of 777.

Here is a handy conversion chart.

SD saved me some typing.  Triple Seven smokes.  However it is not identical to the smoke from real BP.  In particular it smells different.

Archived