SASS Wire Forum

Car Styling

On 8/14/2020 at 4:28 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Those old late ‘50s early ‘60s cars would lend themselves well to modern standards, using a tiny bit of imagination!! 

Large areas in front of and behind the cabin could be easily used to add crumple zones. The doors are huge and thick, making side guard door beams easy to execute.

Those cars had massive headroom. There’s where the curtain style air bags would work!

Half acre dash boards!!  Use different materials and strategic placement of more air bags and they could actually outperform today’s designs.

Finally, drop the front of the car slightly and that big back deck will create massive downforce! It would drastically increase the stability of the back half of the vehicle!!!  With today’s suspension and braking technology and the use of modern body materials, you’d have a great car that looked cool too!

And with today's fuel control and ignition systems they would really go!

Duffield

Wife had cataract surgery this morning, bringing her home, we passed a '66 or '67 Nova. I could tell it was from the rear easily. When I got up beside it, I thought what the Heck? It had been shortened and a small door put in what was left of the rear quarter panel. Made me shake my head for a while. Shame, as it was the first one I'd seen in years:blink::o:(:blink::blush:

5 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Wife had cataract surgery this morning, bringing her home, we passed a '66 or '67 Nova. I could tell it was from the rear easily. When I got up beside it, I thought what the Heck? It had been shortened and a small door put in what was left of the rear quarter panel. Made me shake my head for a while. Shame, as it was the first one I'd seen in years:blink::o:(:blink::blush:

Those '66 and '67 Chevy IIs are some of the prettiest cars ever made!!  They were also one of the most successful body styles ever to grace the drag strip!!  Light weight, (they weighed around 2,850 pounds) solid body lines, and perhaps the best weight transfer, (getting the weight of the car over onto the back wheels on acceleration) ever found in a stock body!!  You'll STILL see dozens of 'em at any National event!!

Archived