SASS Wire Forum

Prescription shooting glasses recommendation s

Ringer

When I first started wearing reading glasses (distance vision 20/20), I had my then ophthalmologist give me a prescription for shooting/sun glasses based on being able to have the rear sight of my sixguns and my M1860 Henry rifle's rear sight.  The difference wasn't all that great, but definitely helped my sight picture.  It has been about a month since my right eye's cataract surgery, which has been a big difference in my eyesight!  I will probably need a new prescription for reading/computer glasses, but just for grins, I tried on my old shooting glasses, using my Ruger Old Model Vaquero.  Surprise! The glasses still work!

Now this is not saying that this is the be-all answer for everyone else.  But what I would do would be to talk to my eye doc, and see what will work best for you.  Best of luck with it, and stay well!

I recently got the Wiley X P-17 with prescription lenses.  I love them so far.  I had to wear them as my normal glasses for a couple weeks after my regular ones broke and i waited to get them fixed.  They were even comfortable for all day wear at home.  

Local eye Doc knew exactly what I wanted. Left lens my regular script + bifocal........right eye for front sight. Added a pair of B-52 side shields. Works great, and easy to read stages. Used the same type wire frames I wear now with the darkest gray progressive tint. Good Luck:)

Since wearing glasses I've always gotten a  bifocal progressive lense..

I think I'm on trifocals now with still the progressive lense..

I've alway had one pair made with the shooting lense stuff..

I don't seem to have my problems..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' that's just me tho:huh:

I found a doctor I really liked at Walmart and have been going there pretty regularly ever since but I don't think it matters where you go as long as you get somebody that works with you. There are some out there that are used to shooters and what they are looking for. 

Anyhow ... for shooting I wanted something wrap-around and found some Forceflex A-260s on their rack that I liked. 

They are similar in appearance to many of the big brand styles ... are Z87 etc ... here is a link if you want to see what they look like ... 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-2-A2-260-Black-Frames/22210334 

About everybody sells this generic frame ... just rebranded. 

These are a little different than my regular prescription because they are optimized for the distance from my eye to the front sight of a 4 3/4 inch revolver (25 inches IIRC w/o having to go dig out the prescription) ... 

The other biggie (for me) was the Zeiss transition coating. The coating was the latest and fastest at the time I got my current prescription and I really like it ... Inside ... they turn clear almost faster than you can get them off and look at them. 

I noticed now that there are even faster transition coatings available (Transitions Gen 8 - 2019 etc) ...

I resisted wearing these for a long time. Instead I had another set with clear lenses ...  having excellent long vision I didn't think I really needed the prescription set.

Although I haven't shot for several months because of the current virus crap going on ... I used the coated prescription long enough to finally realize how great they are and how much better they help me shoot. 

With the prescription (for me) it is super easy to stay hard focused on the front sight instead of getting lazy ... target focusing and blasting away. It doesn't take very long after putting them on for me to forget there is any degradation in long vision at all. 

ESS  Ice Model is what I use.  They have removable shields, temples, and nose bridge with prescription inserts.   You get the prescription insert made for your prescription and then you are able to swap from clear to smoke lenses depending on weather.  Super comfortable.

ESS-ICE-Cycling-Sunglasses-Tactical-Mili

I really like the Wiley X Saber.  I've worn them for about 10 years.  The lenses switch easily and you only need one pair of prescription lenses.  I keep dark, yellow and clear lenses on hand for whatever need I have.    I've replaced various parts of the glasses like lenses and the nose piece, all of which can be found for cheap on places like amazon or ebay.  

Capture.PNG

I also like and use the ESS model listed above, but I find this style easier to change the lenses and overall cheaper.

Had my normal progressive lenses made in yellow tint/ANSI safety lenses (polycarbonate I think)  and put in safety glasses frames with side shields.  Having the same prescription as my normal every day wear makes the transition to the range glasses seamless. 

I have Wiley X - Roamer 3 frames

with progressive lense prescriptions, that way I can focus on whatever distance i need without blurring. Check out "Phillips Safety Rx", you just input your prescriptions on the website and they mail your glasses to you. If your not sure how to enter it just call'em and they'll walk you through it. I have three pairs and I think the most expensive pair was under $200. 

+1 for Wiley X. I have 2 pair of clear & 2 pair of sunglasses - all prescription. Also great for driving.

My eye doc is gun friendly, and agreed to cut me a shooting prescription. It is listed as "for sports" in my records. I am thrilled with how well they work.

I brought in a green gun (inert plastic) Baretta M9 and they set me a prescription for the front sight. Yup, I took an isosceles stance with the training gun and with the whole optical setup on my face and dialed in the exact prescription for a sharply focused front sight.

Other than frame color (black), these glasses are in the exact same frame as my everyday glasses (bronze).

I previously tried shooting with progressives but found I was moving my head up and down to find focus... Which really screws up shooting geometry. So, single vision it is!

I can drive and do everything with my shooting prescription except read neighborhood street name signs from a distance.

For the lenses, they are high-impact polycarbonate and technically qualify as safety glasses, but my frames do not meet those requirements; no protection from hot brass getting in between the frame and my face. Next time, I might pony up for a true safety frame.

Archived