SASS Wire Forum

James Stewart

Subdeacon Joe

On 8/13/2020 at 9:17 AM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

As a Vietnam war vet, I must say I could not say that. 

Thus my objection to that war.  You guys were soooooooooooo screwed - sent over there into horrendous circumstances with no thought as to winning that so-called war.  I can't apologize enough.

On 8/12/2020 at 8:19 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It must have been interesting to see him get ìn that pilot's seat at his height.

:FlagAm:

OLG

He’d never get in the ball turret. :D

17 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Thus my objection to that war.  You guys were soooooooooooo screwed - sent over there into horrendous circumstances with no thought as to winning that so-called war.  I can't apologize enough.

I never doubted we would win. We never lost a major fight. We won militarily. Our circumstances were no worse than Vinegar Joe Stilwell’s men in Burma, or the  troops on Bataan, or the Kasserine pass.

I didn’t count on our government throwing in the towel and turning it’s back on us. That was a first.

And speaking of WW Deuce, allow me to recommend a series of books by perhaps the finest military writer of the last 50 years, Rick Atkinson. If you want to understand the war in. Europe from the North African campaign to the end, this trilogy is a must. I lost some sleep reading late into the evening, which I never do. He’s that good. 

3E8AA176-41A7-4BA7-8BB6-00E4845A4071.jpeg

On 8/15/2020 at 9:36 PM, MizPete said:

I would think a high-wing would float just fine.

Floating isn't the problem. its the time between touching the water and coming to a full stop.  With a low wing the weight of the aircraft is spread out over a greater area. The under surface of the wing helps the aircraft slide along the surface like a skipping rock does.  The engines almost always shear off rather than digging in and causing the fuselage to flip.   

With a high wing the weight of the aircraft is concentrated in a small area and tends to dig into the water rather than slide across it.  The usual sequence of events is the aircraft hits the water and the nose digs in. As the the fuselage starts to go vertical the force of the water cause the fuselage to fail about where the wings are attached. With both haves both having gaping holes they sink rather rapidly and few if any passengers survive.

Kinda like the difference in skipping a flat rock vs a round one.

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Love you guys.  You know stuff.

All together we are a genius. Individually, not so much. :lol:

Archived