SASS Wire Forum

James Stewart

Subdeacon Joe

Yeah...right handed.... too bad.

The Stewart family tradition of serving in the military goes back to Jimmy’s third great grandfather, Fergus Moorhead, who served in the Revolutionary War. Jimmy’s maternal grandfather was a general for the Union in the Civil War. His father Alex, served in both the Spanish-American War and World War I. Jimmy Stewart entered the Army as a private and at the end of WWII was a colonel in the Army Air Corps, fully decorated as the result of the 20 combat missions he flew over Germany as leader of a squadron of B-24’s. Among the medals, he was awarded were two Distinguished Flying Crosses and the Croix de Guerre.

57158E02-F85D-4BAD-814D-7D96258EB3F4.jpeg

Strategic Air Command has some of the most beautiful aerial photography I’ve ever seen.

C1CABE8F-D029-4035-BF45-E6F3B6B455D0.jpeg

If, what I have read, is true, and if what I have heard world war 2 pilots state...they much preferred the B-17 to the B-24. 

I read some of the nicknames for the B-24 were: "Coffin", "Widow Maker".

The book Unbroken, told the story of Louis Zamperini, who's B-24 went down in the Pacific, because it was experiencing mechanical problems.

A movie was later made about him.  He spent a long time in Japanese prison camps, as a result.

If James Stewart was a pilot on a B-24, then he really IS a hero.

Too bad more famous people don't answer the call to duty, like he did.  He set a positive example to generations of Americans.

He is missed.

W.K.  

11 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

If, what I have read, is true, and if what I have heard world war 2 pilots state...they much preferred the B-17 to the B-24. 

The book Unbroken, told the story of Louis Zamperini, who's B-24 went down in the Pacific, because it was experiencing mechanical problems.

A movie was later made about him.  He spent a long time in Japanese prison camps, as a result.

Too bad more famous people don't answer the call to duty, like he did.  He set a positive example to generations of Americans.

He is missed.

W.K.  

Depends on who you talk to. My dad piloted P4Ys (Navy version of B-24) thru hurricanes and tropical storms for 3-4 years when with the Hurricane Hunters in the early 50s. Said it was a really strong airframe.  (A pic of his plane is below.)

He loved it and never had anything bad to say about it. Perhaps that has to do with not having to deal with battle damage as described in some accounts. I’ve read it wasn’t great for ditching, but he never mentioned it. If anyone would’ve been at risk for ditching, it would’ve been him. 

B-24s could fly faster, higher and farther with a bigger payload than the B-17. They were also produced in greater numbers than the B-17. The biggest knock against it is it’s butt ugly. 

Took a lot of strength to fly them as controls weren’t boosted. Jimmy Stewart had to have been a helluva pilot. Hats off to him and all those who flew them. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0808459dd7c21f294e2d85f4a2621166.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The biggest knock against it is it’s butt ugly. 

A calumny spread by jealous Fort crews.  There is an elegance to it lacking in the Forts.

Consolidated B-24 Liberator Four-Engined Strategic Heavy Bomber Aircraft

image.jpeg.f51cc332f8d4cad164a9ce7cdb48b5df.jpeg

It was, unfortunately, much more lightly built than the Fort and so could not take as much damage. Add that there was only one emergency exit towards the tail, which more or less doomed the flight deck crew.

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

He is missed.

W.K.  

Here’s a very interesting study of the B-17 vs B-24.
https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2017/06/30/the-boeing-b-17-flying-fortress-vs-the-consolidated-b-24-liberator/

i thought jimmy stewert did the movie thirty seconds over tokyo , the doolittle raid , i think those were 24s , but it was not - Spencer Tracy. as Lt. Col. James Doolittle. 

my handle everywhere else on the internet is A square 10 , my fathers B29 tail number , i know very little of the B17 or the 24 , im enjoying reading whats gotten posted 

5 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i thought jimmy stewert did the movie thirty seconds over tokyo , the doolittle raid , i think those were 24s , but it was not - Spencer Tracy. as Lt. Col. James Doolittle. 

my handle everywhere else on the internet is A square 10 , my fathers B29 tail number , i know very little of the B17 or the 24 , im enjoying reading whats gotten posted 

The Doolittle raid used B-25 twin Engine bombers.

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Seconds_Over_Tokyo

9 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The biggest knock against it is it’s butt ugly.

That, sir, is completely subjective. That turret up front plus the big bomb bay in the middle kinda made it look like a pregnant pug. 

Or one badass flying war machine. 

From listening to the three world war 2 pilots, I gathered they had flying experience with both the B 17, and the B 24.  All three preferred the B 17.  I do remember things were said about the handling characteristics were not the same.  Being born after world war 2, all I could do was listen to them.

Unfortunately, they have all passed away now, so I can't get any more details about why they preferred the B 17.

Perhaps all three men flew the B 17 more...or had more experience in the 17.  Two flew in Europe, and one flew in the Pacific Theater.

I am sure each pilot had his own personal reasons for the preference, based on his own experience, and prejudices.

All I can do is pass on what they said, and what I heard.  I have no dog in this fight.   

I will say this.  Every world war 2 veteran, I have asked, regardless of which branch they served in, all said the same thing.  I asked them this question: "Did you ever doubt we wouldn't win the war?"  To a man, they said: "no".  They figured it would take a while, but none of them doubted that we would win.  I thought that was very interesting. Many told me it never entered their head that they would lose the war.  No, I have not talked to every world war 2 serviceman, just any I was able to, in this area of the country. 

As a Vietnam war vet, I must say I could not say that.  We had different circumstances, and a different mind set, and of course the general public back home was not very supportive.  Coming home from overseas, we were met with protestors, and we were spit on.  I was shocked. 

I am very happy that the Gulf War vets, have had a positive experience, in that regard.  A group from our church would go to the DFW airport, and greet the military folks, going, and coming back, with cheers, and signs, and welcomes, and hugs.  Too late for me, but I thought now that is the way we should treat our military. 

There were other groups, at the airport there, to cheer them on, besides ours.  We did that many times, over a few years.  The faces of the men and women, in uniform, was priceless.  It made it all the more worthwhile to see their expressions. 

As a WASP, my Mom flew 17's, 24's & 25's a good bit.

She always said the B-17 was the Cadillac of all bombers.

Mom did say the P-38 was her favorite twin engine.

She loved the P-51 the most. Even though she did say it could kill you(as a pilot)faster than anything else she ever flew.

:FlagAm:

OLG

I met Jimmy Stewart in about 1978.  Very nice man and friendly, too.

My wife worked for 12 tears for a Jewish lawyer who had been a bombardier on a B-24.  Shot down over Romania and was a POW for just over a year.  He told a much different story about his Nazi POW camp than most you hear.

I had a much older than I cousin who flew B-25s in the Pacific during WWII.  Bought one after he retired (as a Brigadier Genera) and "Winnabego-ized it."

14 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The Doolittle raid used B-25 twin Engine bombers.

They could have used 24s. But they would have had to weld two carriers together. :lol::D

I saw a documentary on the W.A.S.P.S. not long ago.  Wow, I was super impressed.  Initially they received no veterans benefits at all.  I think, if memory serves, many years later they were given that honor, but by then a lot of them had passed away.  They flew everything, and could fly anything.  I bet a good movie could be made about them. I don't think one has been, yet, but I'm not sure.  I haven't seen it. 

Awesome is just not a good enough adjective, to describe those ladies.   

They are now recognized, as well they should be. 

Man....those were women!!!!!!

As tiny Tim said...."God bless them, every one".

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And add  about 50% width to the flight deck

I meant gunwale to gunwale. Then hope for 100 knot winds. :D

5 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I saw a documentary on the W.A.S.P.S. not long ago.  Wow, I was super impressed.  Initially they received no veterans benefits at all.  I think, if memory serves, many years later they were given that honor, but by then a lot of them had passed away.  They flew everything, and could fly anything.  I bet a good movie could be made about them. I don't think one has been, yet, but I'm not sure.  I haven't seen it. 

Awesome is just not a good enough adjective, to describe those ladies.   

They are now recognized, as well they should be. 

Man....those were women!!!!!!

As tiny Tim said...."God bless them, every one".

Mom received her pilot's license on here 16th birthday. 

She didn't get a driver's license till she was 26. :lol:

Flying was a passion/obsession to her.

OLG

If you get a chance, watch Jimmy Stewert in the original "Flight of the Phoenix".  Much better than the remake of a few years ago.

13 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

That, sir, is completely subjective. That turret up front plus the big bomb bay in the middle kinda made it look like a pregnant pug. 

Or one badass flying war machine. 

Some think the P47 was butt ugly
Not me.

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

All high wing aircraft are pretty much death traps if you try to ditch them in water. 

That may be.  But it brings back a memory:

I was at an air show one weekend back in the 80's at Travis AFB.  Wandering through a huge hanger, admiring an F-111, when two old aviators started arguing over the relative benefits of high- vs low-wing aircraft.

I kinda eavesdropped for a bit, but the discussion ended abruptly when one old-timer finally blurted "Well!  You show me a bird with low wings and then I'll like low-winged planes."  :rolleyes:   ^_^

I was born in the same town as JImmy Stewart, Indiana, PA, so I have always felt a connection.  If you ever get a chance, stop in the town.  In front of the courthouse is a statue of him in his character of Elwood P. Dowd from "Harvey."  There is a wonderful Jimmy Stewat Museum in downtown Indiana.  I remember seeing an exhibit where it was stated that he was prouder of his military service than he was of his acting career.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:23 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

All high wing aircraft are pretty much death traps if you try to ditch them in water. 

I would think a high-wing would float just fine.

Archived