SASS Wire Forum

Hat type

Mad Jacket Hornet

I am wanting to model my cowboy look on the cowboys from Tombstone. When I was on active duty I flew as flight engineer on helicopters in the AF and our unit was nicked named cowboys. We also wore res scarves with our flight suits so I thought it would be a fitting tribute to my brothers in arms! I was wanting some advice on hats to start.  Looking for the type or style of that hat pictured. Thanks in advance for any and all help. 

MJH1BB017B4-1FC0-4DAD-8C07-FB4760192AAE.thumb.png.34534105fc29e6762b4859f8daa4300a.png

I have a guy locally that runs this western wear store called PeeWee Dalton's. He is a wizard at shaping hats. I showed him a picture of The Man With No Name's hat and he picked one off the rack and shaped it to match, took him an hour.

You need to befriend a local hat shapper like that IMO. 

Try Knudsen Hats for a custom made quality hat. . He makes a great collection of Tombstone hats. I wear the "Deputy Billy" 

https://www.knudsenhats.com/

DbarJ would get my vote. Just show Dave pic and/or tell him character and movie.

I'll also shout out to Knudsen Hats. Also try Millers Hats at millerhats.com for some less expensive options.

50 minutes ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

I'll also shout out to Knudsen Hats. Also try Millers Hats at millerhats.com for some less expensive options.

What's the hat in your avatar there, Major?

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

What's the hat in your avatar there, Major?

That is the Nam Cavalry hat found at Knudsen.

Howdy

Yup, Boss of the Plains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_of_the_Plains

The first common 'cowboy hat". High crown to insulate the top of the head, and a relatively wide brim to keep the sun out of the eyes.

The actor in the photo has the front of the brim turned up. If you study photos taken of cowboys in studios in the 19th Century they often turned up the front of the brim to keep their face from being in shadow.

pnOYMUjej

pmQuFiDHj

This is Will Rogers as a young man.

pnzZHBRIj

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

Regardless of how the hats are tipped back on the head in the staged photos they won't stay on your head if you wear them that way when you are out of the studio and your eyes do need shade

Although you might like the look of that hat, it will do nothing to shade your eyes or keep brass away. A friend of mine forgot her hat and got two pieces of hot brass wedged in her eyewear.

A lot of the hats did not start out looking like that, as we know.  As the cowboy rode, with the wind blowing in his kisser, the hat brims were pushed back until they ended up staying that way, to a greater, or lessor extent.  Like as not it was a Boss of the Plains hat.  Later, other styles followed suit...lower crown, larger brim, smaller brim, different brim design, and higher crown, etc. Some were wind swept back, a lot..others not so much.  Most historical hat books state different hat styles were particular to different regions...later on in the west.   

As usual, Hollyweird never was too accurate, much of the time, in hat styles of the Old West.  At least they were consistent in their inconsistency.  Neither were they authentic on: the pants, the shirts, the saddles, the boots, the holsters/gun belts, and of course silver-screen cowboys mostly all had the 1892 Winchester, even before the civil war, and the Colt single action as well.  The movie, Tombstone, seemed to get a lot of things fairly right, in comparison to most other westerns.  Even Silverado featured a reproduction 1873 saddle ring carbine, that Emmitt used, and also an 1860 Henry...two of them. In Quigley Down Under, they actually used cap and ball revolvers, and muzzleloading percussion rifles...but, after all...that was Australia.  Oh well. 

It was good to see Quigley riding an A-fork saddle, and wearing shotgun chaps, instead of huge batwings.  The hat??? Humm....not so sure. 

A lot of hats I've seen in pictures look pretty bad, not like the Hollywood hats seen on TV or in the movies. An exception to this might be the hats worn in town such as a derby.

Archived