SASS Wire Forum

Visit Portland commercial

Utah Bob #35998

And what philosophy is running the local, and state government there? Can't blame the President for that...other than to state they don't want/need any help. 

Yeah boy....they really have it under control.  

What is beyond sad is, the voters would likely vote the same way again, if given the chance.

Some lessons seem to be, or should be, easy to learn and profit by....other lessons seem to go right over their tiny heads. 

Thanks for the post. It is so very true....that should make the liberals cringe...it may not, but one can always hope it gives the conservatives a lot of ammunition for the next election (presuming there are any conservatives out in that area, that is.) . 

W.K.   

My mom grew up in Portland and we visited our Portland grandparents often when I was a kid.

I visited Portland countless times over the last few decades; I often had cases that took me there. Some great hotels; a beautiful city. Many happy times there.

Not any more. It's unbelievable, really. 

It seems to be turning into an “ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK” scenario. Where’s Snake Pliskin when you need him?

eEscape fromPortland.jpg

Portland had something of a Midwest flavor until relatively recent times, as compared to Seattle, for example. In many ways they were very different cities, though sharing a Pacific NW quality.

Portland was more conservative, with a small 'c'. Oregon in general used to have a sort of a benign liberal Republican nature, politically.

Businessmen, lawyers, etc. into  the 1970s and '80s dressed very conservatively, all dark suits and wingtips. Hard to put your finger on it; sort of an ineffable quality. My maternal granddad was very much of that quality.

All long gone.

I'm going to channel my 'inner John Kerry'.....

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Seattle or Portland."

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Brought it on themselves.  They let the wrong crowd get elected.  They should defund the City and State governments.

This exactly.

But they'll never figure that out. :huh:

3 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

It is "wil-LAM-et", not "willam-ET".

Exactly. That's how you know the clip wasn't made by an Oregonian!

Willamette, as in Willamette River and Willamette Valley, is the shibboleth of Oregon, as Puyallup is of Washington. 

I am a graduate of wil-LAM-ett law school.

Then there's Spokane. (spo-kann). I tried a case once in Spokane as co-counsel with a Nebraska lawyer. Despite my best efforts, she at one point said spo-kayn before the jury. All in the courtroom shuddered....

Archived