SASS Wire Forum

Redding profile crimp die not doing doodly squat!

Warden Callaway

Per all the glowing recommendations,  last month I bought a Redding Profile crimp die in 44WCF.   I got around to using it just a bit ago.

I'm using a Lee single station press.  I ended up adjusting the die all the way to shell holder.  I feel resistance the last 1/4" or so.  But it does nothing.  

I am loading 428 diamater Missouri Bullet Company Hi-Tek bullets.  

On the Lee Factory crimp die,  I ended up taking the collet out and sanding between the fingers before it would crimp.

Do I need to do the same with this die?

I only use a FCD for 45 ACP, in a dillion 650. Pretty sure you need to go beyond touching the shell holder, the base of the die has to be pushed up to activate the crimping function. An extra half turn or so.

9 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

I only use a FCD for 45 ACP, in a dillion 650. Pretty sure you need to go beyond touching the shell holder, the base of the die has to be pushed up to activate the crimping function. An extra half turn or so.

That's on a Lee.  The Redding is one solid body die. Bottom is bottom. There is no beyond. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

I use a Redding crimp die and it works great. Not sure what you are doing wrong.   :huh:

That's why I'm asking.  

Any instructions on how to remove the collet?

I use a Redding Profile Crimp die on my 'HOT' .45 Colt reloads and really like it.

I've used other Redding dies thru the years with great success, along with RCBS, some Hornady,  and LEE.

You may have just gotten an odd one.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WC, I like the FCD over all others.

That said, take .030-.050 off the bottom of the profile die and you should be GTG.

OLG

I've went back to using the Lee FCD.  

Even if I cut the bottom off the Redding die, I don't think I'd like it. A 428 diameter bullet won't fit in past the neck area without driving it in. The bullet has a full diameter driving band ahead of the crimping groove an estimated .040 long.  You can see in the picture above where the die "squozed" it down.

And I was under the impression it would resize the loaded round to spec.  I occasionally load a round with a slight ripple at the mouth or neck.  It won't take that out.  

I'll take it to a match and flea market it. 

16 minutes ago, Double Barrel, SASS 34765 said:

Warden,

Call Redding and see if they can walk you thru setup or if you happened to have gotten a Monday morning die, they may send you a new one.

My time is not wort much but it's worth more than fooling with any longer. 

In researching for fixes, I'm finding others that have problems with the die.

Archived