SASS Wire Forum

Perseids

Speaking of "stargazing," anyone been watching the Perseid show?  :)

Flopped out on an REI "Gravity Chair" with a cold drink and a handy six-iron to gently fend off an overly friendly cat, I saw a few good ones tonight - including one sizzler that left a long, billowy, glowing and smoky tail!  ^_^  

Oddly, they seemed to pretty much be coming from the north....  

Clouds moved in before things got good.

Was out at 4 the other morning and didn't see a thing. Don't know what happen.

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Flopped out on an REI "Gravity Chair" with a cold drink and a handy six-iron to gently fend off an overly friendly cat, I saw a few good ones tonight - including one sizzler that left a long, billowy, glowing and smoky tail!  ^_^  

I stayed out for awhile, until I knew I needed some sleep to be functional today, around 2:00 am. I didn't see any.

They come from the north / northeast because they are named for the constellation Perseus, from which they seem to emanate. Perseus is in that direction.

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

They do come from the north, but they seem to be a couple of weeks early this year.

Best show in town in August, 1983 at Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  The skies were as clear as could be and the meteors put on a great performance for us.

Archived