Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Boy

Bad news from local gun store owner

Recommended Posts

When i looked in April, the projections were for the supply chain to start filling again in August. It is now August, and I read this:

 

https://www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the-ammo-gone-162059.html

 

Demand for ammo is still running at 300% of normal. And expected to continue for some time.

 

Primary reasons (not necessarily in order of impact):

  • Existing (and new) contracts for military/LE get filled before consumer demand
  • 40 Million + new gun owners adding to consumer demand
  • Covid/Protests/Election year all driving demand
  • Covid restriction impact on entire chain from materials to components to transportation
  • International trade issues (tariffs) affecting raw materials and some components
  • Hoarding

 

At this time, the supply chain is running again but demand exceeds supply so inventory flushes as fast as it comes in. And likely will for another six months to a year. And prices will likely be somewhat elevated for another year after that. According to this one article.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As to what if anything is different about reloading 9mm vs .45ACP, the above joke about it being smaller really is the only real difference.   You reload it more or less exactly the same way.

 

I can tell you that even a max load of Trailboss wont work in 9mm, it just doesn't generate enough pressure or whatever it is that is needed to work the action.  So that's another difference.   Although, if you have a revolver or a derringer in this caliber, I suppose that would make a nice low power plinking round for those guns.

 

I have found that Red Dot and Win 23one work well in this caliber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

When i looked in April, the projections were for the supply chain to start filling again in August. It is now August, and I read this:

 

https://www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the-ammo-gone-162059.html

 

Demand for ammo is still running at 300% of normal. And expected to continue for some time.

 

Primary reasons (not necessarily in order of impact):

  • Existing (and new) contracts for military/LE get filled before consumer demand
  • 40 Million + new gun owners adding to consumer demand
  • Covid/Protests/Election year all driving demand
  • Covid restriction impact on entire chain from materials to components to transportation
  • International trade issues (tariffs) affecting raw materials and some components
  • Hoarding

 

At this time, the supply chain is running again but demand exceeds supply so inventory flushes as fast as it comes in. And likely will for another six months to a year. And prices will likely be somewhat elevated for another year after that. According to this one article.

Make 100% total sense and it is what I've been hearing from the gun shops around here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know when I was a kid back in the 50's Grandma and Grandpa  used to grow their own vegetables make their own root beer bake their own bread ....

They had one vehicle and shared it with the neighbors who did without.They paid more in taxes but were fiercely patriotic

.Gramps fought in North Africa in the war.If they couldnt afford something they saved til they could.

Everything nowadays comes from China.The food we put in our bodies the medicine we treat disease with ...

Even the critical components of our jet fighters are supplied to us from an enemy wishing to wipe us off the earth....

We all better start learning to be more self reliant or we will be at the mercy of foreign governments and leftist wingnuts

putting serial numbers on every bullet we shoot.

Just my two pesos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, the hard left is also arming up now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one advantage to having several different calibers, I can still find .40 without problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've cancelled 3 straight 3gun matches here at my range as the majority of our shooters can't get enough 9mm/223 to shoot. We use about 200 rounds of pistol, 75 rounds of rifle, and 40 SG shells per match. Some still shoot .40 or 45acp but no-one wants to burn up ammo right now.  Even those who reload are not wanting to shoot much.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least I bought some 357 carry ammo before the feces hit the oscillator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

No 9mm ammo to be had anywhere, so I just ordered some 9mm 124 gr JHP bullets to shoot thru my G-43. (Been saving my brass for just such a scenario.)

 

I’ve been loading .45 ACP for some years now, but am wondering if there’s anything unique about this cartridge I need to know?

Glock's can be finicky about lead versus jacketed ammo.  Also the leade on Glock's can be fairly short.

 

I'll be loading the 147 gr tapered FP Polymer coated bullets for all three of my 9mm pistols: 1911, G34 and G43.

Multiple sources in stock and averaging around $93 per thousand.  You can use lead load data for it,

and you don't have exposure to lead while reloading.

 

There is a lot of load data available for the 124 gr FMJ bullets as well.  You'll have to decide what velocity

range you want for play versus replicating carry loads.

 

Titegroup seems to be the powder de jur, but I've used Unique, Bullseye and  WW231 all over the last 30+ years, and

they all work fine, frankly I prefer Bullseye, but I'm going to work up some match loads using TG for steel.

 

I'm finding that 900 f/s is a good velocity for everything but replicating duty ammo.  My HST 147gr ammo goes at

around 1000 f/s, so If I want to replicate that for training I have to load my poly bullets a little stouter.

 

Otherwise it's like a .45ACP, just a bit fiddly to handle!

 

HTH

Shadow Catcher

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A local gun store just announced today another shipment has hit the shelves. 50,000 more rounds of 124 grain Lawman 9mm.

 

This makes 140,000 rounds of 9mm they have received in the last 4 weeks or so.

 

And all of it will sell at $370 per case.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

A local gun store just announced today another shipment has hit the shelves. 50,000 more rounds of 124 grain Lawman 9mm.

 

This makes 140,000 rounds of 9mm they have received in the last 4 weeks or so.

 

And all of it will sell at $370 per case.

 

 

 

 

Target sport is getting $799 per thousand for Speer Lawman 124 grain gold dot hollow point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Unfortunately, the hard left is also arming up now.

Millions of them have armed up with first firearms in the last few months . Millions who won't want their guns confiscated. Millions who will not support additional arbitrary training requirements. Millions who will not support background checks for ammunition. Millions who will want to carry in public. Millions who are law-abiding citizens who will not support restrictions on law-abiding citizens.

 

So this is actually a good thing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Academy today.

Picked up 3  100 round boxes 115 gr and 150 rounds of .380

There was a bunch on the shelf. But limit 3 boxes per caliber.

 

Had to go back by a couple hours later. So stopped again. They still had

some 9mm 124gr. So grabbed 3 more boxes of that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't say that 9MM is hard to come by. Now what do I do.

That is me in non cowboy garb. 

Yes it is registered and legal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. So.

2016. 22lr $45/brick of 500 9mm $300/1,000 5.56 $400/1,000 38sp $300/1,000

2018/19 22lr $25/brick of 500 9mm $200/1,000 5.56 $300/1,000 38sp $250/1,000

2020 22lr $45-50/brick of 500 (lead aguila) 9mm $400/1,000 (retail is $519/1,000 that's 25.99/bx 50) 5.56 $500/1,000, have seen at $400 but its tough to get,sells quick!) 39sp $600/1,000 (Yeah, that's 29.99 a box/50 retail)

 

Yesterday my guy had a pallet of 7.62x39 on the floor at $300/1,000, wolf steel case. Had most major calibers including 9mm but pricing is up at least 20 percent. It's 2012 all over again, LOL. Duh. Shocker. Every sonofa-B is buying long term food, "gear" ammo, reloading supplies, guns, ammo, silver, ammo, guns, gold, LOL. People ain't as blind N' stupid as some would believe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dustin Checotah said:

Please don't say that 9MM is hard to come by. Now what do I do.

That is me in non cowboy garb. 

Yes it is registered and legal.

MVI_0321.AVI

Pretty cool.  Image is small, but it appears to be a Sten gun? Guess you'll have to slow down for awhile. :( Is it select fire?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, Tennessee williams said:

No that is incorrect.

Screenshot_20200811-152500_Office.jpg

Thanks! I was about to say the same thing!  We can buy all the bullet alloy we can afford! :ph34r:

 

Big hugs!

 

Scarlett

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Pretty cool.  Image is small, but it appears to be a Sten gun? Guess you'll have to slow down for awhile. :( Is it select fire?

Yes it is a STEN. Also yes it is select fire. But what fun is that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 6:47 PM, John Kloehr said:

Millions of them have armed up with first firearms in the last few months . Millions who won't want their guns confiscated. Millions who will not support additional arbitrary training requirements. Millions who will not support background checks for ammunition. Millions who will want to carry in public. Millions who are law-abiding citizens who will not support restrictions on law-abiding citizens.

 

So this is actually a good thing.

This is true.  I work on Saturdays at a gun store.  Its AMAZING the number of new gun owners.   I also teach CCW classes, and they are all full, and we are putting more on the books to accomodate everyone.  This new gun owner thing in another large reason there is an ammo shortage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.