SASS Wire Forum

Bad news from local gun store owner

John Boy

Do not use your 9mm ammunition for target practice ....

* The store is completely out of all ammunition 

*  Owner said his distributor won’t have 9mm factory ammo until 4 to 5 months

And when the distributor does receive ammunition from the factory, the price for one round of 9mm could be a $1.00 per round

The unknown is factories not going to produce or a shortage of new brass

9mm has been more expensive lately than some 10mm I've seen lately!

Good thing I only shoot guns on video games.

There has not been a box of 9mm for sale in our area for well over a month. My step son works security and has not been able to get ammo. I'm not allowed to give or sell him ammo under the state law. He was very fortunate however and found a large bag of 9mm under the seat of his car. Must have forgot it was there. :ph34r:

Snakebite

2 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

...He was very fortunate however and found a large bag of 9mm under the seat of his car. Must have forgot it was there. :ph34r:

Santa has mysterious ways and he don't just work in December. ;)

9mm still gets shipped here but the price is generally $.27 to .33 per round. Ouch! But you can get it.

2 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

I’ve read that somewhere people actually reload 9MM :)

I gave that up 20 years ago!  Now that the scalpers are rising the price of bulk ammo to 2-3 times what it had been,

I'm dusting off the dies.  The polymer coated bullets work well for steel and general practice, and I've a case of duty

ammo stashed away so I'm good there!

Never thought I'd see the day that reloading 9mm was cost effective, strange days!

SC

I think everybody should get scared and start buying every box they see regardless if they have a large quantity on hand or not. That'll show them!

.22 ammo still hasn't come back down to normal price from the last time all this happened. People hoarded it, and the price went up. We do it to ourselves.

Don’t own anything 9mm.  If memory serves, I never have.  Ain’t sayin’ it’s a bad round or anything of the sort, I just never saw the need to put on another caliber.  My son switched to  .40 a year or so ago and we put on a couple thousand rounds for the bad times.

I use .45 Colt and .45 acp and the wife uses .38/.357.

All the shotguns are 12ga.  There ARE several different loads and lengths for different situations.

Most of the rifles are .762 or .45 Colt, but there are other calibers for those “different situations” as well, including several thousand rounds of .22!

All of this is virtual, of course! No real guns or ammunition are to be found in my domicile!!!

Part of the problem with .22 ammo cost hike specifically is that the last lead mines in the US closed due to Obama's EPA. So now, all lead is either imported or recycled. In .22 ammo, the bullet is a huge part pf the cost.

Between the Luger and the Hi Power, I do shoot 9mm and reload for them a little bit.   Finding unjacketed bullets of the correct size was a chore, but I did locate a good supply some years ago.   To be honest, I am still on that original stash, I don't load it in huge numbers.   I've never even fired my M9 or my M17.

Saw this coming, have 3K+ rnds loaded with enough components to load another 5K+.

Pretty much the same for the other calibers I shoot.

Stockpiling did put a good dent in savings. 

So glad I went this route now. ;)

OLG 

Funny, I cast up about 1500 9nmm with a Mihec mould and a LEE mould about a year ago, and I finally got it all loaded up last month. Last weekend I took my Hi-Power out and tested it and both style bullets worked great with the Red Dot powder I used, as I have a bunch of it.  So I guess I don't really care what the gun store has. During the last .22 shortage my kids were shooting SASS matches with it, so I grabbed it whenever I found it at a good price, still have a bunch left. They both graduated to 44-40 as soon as they could.

Part of the problem with .22 ammo cost hike specifically is that the last lead mines in the US closed due to Obama's EPA. So now, all lead is either imported or recycled. In .22 ammo, the bullet is a huge part pf the cost.

Deacon - Screw the Importers for supplying lead: for 22LR's..Have the molds (36-40 & 46gr), dies, primed empty cases and enough lead alloys to bypass any shortage of 22's.  Load 50 rounds under 15 minutes in either black  powder or smokeless with velocities that exceed commercial velocities.  POI's at 100yds are much better than the box store rounds

And as for 9mm's - box of 1000 cleaned used cases and 6 or 7 hundred reload boxes in inventory

Don't shoot 38's so not an issue

22 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

No that is incorrect.

Screenshot_20200811-152500_Office.jpg

I AM one of those people that picked up and reloads 9mm........a friend of mine that scoffed at my doing so sheepishly asked me if there was any chance he could buy some 9mm brass....."John" I said, you made fun of me all of this time for picking it up and reloading and now that you cannot get any from any store you want me to bail you out? Ah, yeah, sorta........Said, let me think about it.......

Next morning I handed John a bag of about 500 casings........How much he asked? Merry Christmas, you old scallawag, you owe me lunch!

I later learned that it was for the members of his church's security detail......John works the gun counter at a local gun store. He took them home that night and ran them through his Dillon 550B.

I noticed that he did NOT ask about primers or bullets.......

Bugler

I don't shoot 9 mm but many common revolver calibers are long totally sold out at the big stores. No .38 spl, .357 mag, .44 mag, etc.

We have a couple of smaller stores though that still have good supplies of them. 

I've always had the habit of picking up a box or two of this and that most times I go to the stores, so I've ended up always having a pretty adequate supply for lean times.

Our supply of 9mm at my LGS has dwindled significantly.  Last weekend, we were getting $20 a box of 50 for FMJ, and 23.00 for a bag of 20 Speer Gold Dots.  5.56 and .223 is almost $500 a thousand.  

Personally, I got enough components to load for a while.  9mm, 38 special, 380, 44 spl/mag, 10mm/40 S&W/38-40, 44-40, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 5.56/223, 308, 45/70.  I'm good on all of those.

And after the Sandy Hook rimfire shortage, I swore I wouldn't be caught without 22 long rifle again.  Not to quote numbers, but I won't.  

Tennessee, I am very glad to be wrong on that, thanks!

Great time for my granddaughter to take up PCC ! (She still shoots SASS too)

I was looking for something else and found a sealed box of 100 Winchester 9mm ball ammo.  I have no idea where it came from. I've never owned a 9mm. 

I can see the retail price at places that don't have any.  What's the street price?  

3 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

I’ve read that somewhere people actually reload 9MM :)

My better half recently acquired a Ruger PC9. I dusted off some 9mm brass and bullets that had been collecting dust.  Next thing you know she has 2500 9mm loaded up. And she's smiling. 

BS

No 9mm ammo to be had anywhere, so I just ordered some 9mm 124 gr JHP bullets to shoot thru my G-43. (Been saving my brass for just such a scenario.)

I’ve been loading .45 ACP for some years now, but am wondering if there’s anything unique about this cartridge I need to know?

34 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

No 9mm ammo to be had anywhere, so I just ordered some 9mm 124 gr JHP bullets to shoot thru my G-43. (Been saving my brass for just such a scenario.)

I’ve been loading .45 ACP for some years now, but am wondering if there’s anything unique about this cartridge I need to know?

It is smaller.......:o  :lol:

Got 400 rounds this morning.

$88 bucks. Winchester white box. 115gr ball.  At Academy

You have to be there when the open at 9. It's gone by 9:20

Got 450 rounds last week there. Brass Blazer. 124gr $11 buck per 50 round box.

Went by one of the biggest pawn-gun shops in the area.

They had plenty. BUT. $40 bucks per 50 count box.

Nobody was buying.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I found that lubing the brass really helps reduce the fore require for resizing the 9mm brass.  Just the spray on type lube works well.  Either one-shot or a 10 to 1 mix of high percent (91% or higher) alcohol and liquid lanolin.

No 9mm, no 38, no 357, no brass. I never thought I’d see the day. Silly me.

The local toy store sells one box with purchase of a gun.   Can't buy it otherwise.    

I

2 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Got 400 rounds this morning.

$88 bucks. Winchester white box. 115gr ball.  At Academy

You have to be there when the open at 9. It's gone by 9:20

Got 450 rounds last week there. Brass Blazer. 124gr $11 buck per 50 round box.

Went by one of the biggest pawn-gun shops in the area.

They had plenty. BUT. $40 bucks per 50 count box.

Nobody was buying.

I see where it all went.:)

8 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I see where it all went.:)

I kind of got caught with my pants down.

Let myself get real low. Thinking I could just run out and get some anytime.

With the way things are going.

Trying to stock back up. Going by again this morning hope to pick up some more.

Archived