SASS Wire Forum

Weren’t Masks for Bad Guys?

Captain Curly Strait

Just curious how y’all are doing with the individual state mask requirements. Most of my local matches have been cancelled for 2020. Seems like the COVID-19 Kung Flu has kicked our SASS. My state currently has a mandated mask order. Yet, one brave club is open for business, but with the state’s mandated mask requirement being given some latitude. 

So, my questions to y’all are: “How do you shoot well with a mask when your glasses fog up” and “In the old west, and in the movies, weren’t masks only worn by the bad guys”?

Most Sincerely Curious,

Curly. 

There are anti-fog products available for those opting or required to wear masks with glasses.

Cowboys wore bandanas (masks) during dusty conditions (e.g. dust storms, trail drives, etc.)...not just to rob banks or stagecoaches.

PaleWolf,

Understood.  I’m an old cowboy from way back. Been “over the mountain and up the river”.  Would like to think there are those out there who know me who would agree I’m someone to “ride the river with”.  Just trying to poke some humor into the nanny state requirements and see how y’all are coping with it. 

Thanks for your response!

Most Sincerely,

Curly

Curly, different areas vary, but all the clubs in Central Texas let the shooter go maskless.  And the maked outlaws of the movies did not have safety glasses to fog up. :)

I walked into a liquor store the other day wearing my cowboy hat and a mask. I told the clerk that my mamma always said I would come to this if I did not change my ways, the clerk ask what I was talking about. I said "Walking into liquor stores wearing a mask"

2 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

wore a mask into a bank recently and felt rather odd about my facial attire.....

In Ohio, we are suppose to wear masks in public, but my bank has a sign on their front door stating DO NOT ENTER WITH FACE MASK.  They want their security cameras to see your face!  :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

In Ohio, we are suppose to wear masks in public, but my bank has a sign on their front door stating DO NOT ENTER WITH FACE MASK.  They want their security cameras to see your face!  :ph34r:

My bank, asks people to wear a mask, but has a greeter, who does a list of questions. then you stand on a mark, remove the mask, they take a picture and your temp.  Put the mask on and go to a teller..  

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Curly, different areas vary, but all the clubs in Central Texas let the shooter go maskless.  And the maked outlaws of the movies did not have safety glasses to fog up. :)

In the movies I guess that they wore contacts  :D  ;)  :FlagAm:

13 minutes ago, Nutmeg Ryder, SASS # 74966 said:

My bank, asks people to wear a mask, but has a greeter, who does a list of questions. then you stand on a mark, remove the mask, they take a picture and your temp.  Put the mask on and go to a teller..  

Wow. A picture? No thanks.

I'd use the drive through. AND keep the mask on.  ;)

I NORMALLY open carry here in Alabama when I go to a restaurant, convenience store, Lowe's, etc.  But the recent statewide mandate of wearing a mask in public shopping/eating establishments makes me feel a little odd when open carrying.  But I still OC whenever possible.

Only the TO wear a mask here because we are breathing directly on the shooter from just a few feet away. Some on the posse wear them that's their choice. We space out at the loading table and sort of try to social distance. I keep a scarf/paper towel at hand to wipe glasses, tightening the nose clip helps and sometimes you just have to adjust your glasses a little different than you're use to and they won't fog. I TO a lot without much trouble.

Thanks Y’all!  I appreciate the feedback.  I too find it a bit disconcerting to walk into the bank or liquor store packing and wearing a mask. Seems counterintuitive. I’ll look for some anti-fog stuff Palewolf!  And I’ll be trying several styles of shooting glasses to see if that helps, Major!  Thank you for the suggestions, Sirs! To the rest, happy trails!  And Two Dot, I laughed out loud when you reminded me of the Lone Ranger.  Nice to see the cowboys here holding on to their sense of humor amidst these interesting times. Thanks again.  If any of you will be at WOWS in WI on the 20th, I’ll be drawing, shooting, loading, and missing as fast as I can. I once missed so fast, I did it a split-second later just to prove to the posse it wasn’t a fluke. 

Curly. 

12 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

wore a mask into a bank recently and felt rather odd about my facial attire.....

since it is open carry here, I also had an IWB handgun visible if you looked.  No comments or second looks as far as I know.

for the record - yes .........."I’m someone to “ride the river with”. .., i can attest to that statement , and ill be with him is WI next week , 

as to the masks , most has been covered here , the dental industry comments the last couple days has added a new dimension to this discussion , but im wondering when all this will stop ? a lot of arbitrary regs that have gaping holes in the logic , little supporting data and an equal contrary opinions to those that do support , so ---i think we need to act as americans always have , do what you believe in your heart is right and exercise your rights of life , liberty and the pursuit of happiness , ill not give anyone a hard time for doing that , its their right , do what makes you comfortable and happy , 

Just picked up some stuff called Cat Crap lens cleaner and anti fog spray at Walmart. Hope it works

Cheap Anti-Fog Glass Cleaner:

Mix Dawn (a detergent, not a soap) with water.

Apply to glasses and wipe off.

I use a 1-2 ounce spray bottle that you can get from Walgreens, add a squirt of Dawn and fill with water. 

Been using that as an anti-fog on my glasses and SCUBA masks for 45 years!  Will prevent your bathroom mirror from fogging up as well.

Howdy,

With a medical - type mask such as you purchase at Sam's Club;  wear the mask with the white strip on top. The white strip contains the wire.

Press the white strip/wire tight around your nose and cheeks.  This will stop your glasses from fogging.  

The bank teller taught me this. It works.  :lol:

Mo

On 8/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, Nutmeg Ryder, SASS # 74966 said:

My bank is still not allowing customers inside except if you’re elderly or have a safety deposit box. I wear a mask when out in public and at matches. I caught a little flak initially but my husband almost died two years ago from viral encephalitis...so I can stand some minor inconvenience... when I get to the line... I take my mask off, tuck it in my corset, shoot, when I get to the ULT, dig my mask out... 

i don’t mind wearing a mask if it means MAYBE this will end quicker and it will keep my honey safe. 

Big hugs!!!

Scarlett

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 8:11 AM, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Yeah I never thought I would be walking around town packing a gun (CC) and wearing a mask.

On 8/11/2020 at 11:38 AM, Dutch Wheeler said:

At least you can still go into your bank.

It's been drive up window or make an appointment for months here.

I posted again to this thread over an hour ago but the post never posted. Secondly, Allie Mo and Sedalia Dave posted earlier but their posts have disappeared. Anyone know why?  

Curly

I’ll try again.....

Palewolf and Dutch,
Thanks I’ll try those suggestions to see if I can keep my spectacles fog-free.  DeaconKC,

Thanks, but not quite ready to try “Cat Crap“ on my prescription lenses. Please let me know how it works out for you. 

Scarlett,

I completely understand your position and agree wholeheartedly with your protocol. I’ll try that at the CAS event next week. Shopping online for corsets now. 

Thanks again for everyone’s insight and sense of humor!

Curly 

On 8/13/2020 at 10:50 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You do know that if there were no "Bad guys" , then there would be no "Good guys"...

Phantom,

Almost forgot once I re-posted my original comment of a few hours ago.....with my “memory re-boot edit”.

Here’s what I forgot in my re-boot after the original didn’t post. 

“Phantom,

Thanks for your comment! Of course, I have an extraordinary grasp of the obvious. Just was curious how y’all were coping with the mask requirements and it’s implications. Mostly was trying to figure out how to keep my glasses from fogging and inject some humor into our Nanny-state situation”.

I’m old enough to know that wearing a mask doesn’t necessarily make a “Bad Guy”, though it was funny to hear from Two Dot referencing the Lone Ranger. I’d overlooked that fact. But, just as wearing masks don’t define you as a “bad guy“, not wearing one doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a “good guy”. Lots of bad guys appear to have been able to fool the general public. Bernie Madoff as an example. 

Curly

Archived