SASS Wire Forum

What type of hat would a townsman wear?

Philosopher

Want to put together an ensemble where I would be dressed as a late-1800s townsperson.

Correctly or not, when I'm wearing my Stetson cowboy hat I like to wear my cowboy boots. With my new pair of "townie" shoes, (Chippewa 6" lace ups) I don't feel that my Stetson is appropriate.

I guess a derby would work but they don't really look that great on me.

Any ideas? Links to suggestions appreciated!

Narrow brim fedora, a Hamburg, a medium height top hat, or, as much as I dislike the style, a narrow brim Cattleman.

One could also go with a straw skimmer or a pork pie!

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Actually, for a City Slicker, a "Thug" or "Newsboy" cap would also be appropriate.

PS:  Especially were it Tweed B)

That is what I will wear with my kilts.  

Here's a picture depicting construction of Tarrant County Courthouse, 1894. You might save this and blow it up to get an idea of what gentlemen were wearing around the turn of the century. The caption states that the members of the commissioners court are on top.

court.jpg

I see mostly derby/bowler hats in that picture.  A few are pinched and may be fedoras.

All of ‘em are narrow brim and most don’t appear to fit very well.

Make sure the brim is big enough to keep hot rifle brass from going uncomfortable places.  I learned to wear a hat even during practice after getting a piece of hot brass down inside my safety glasses.  That hurt!

Archived