SASS Wire Forum

Concerns of target ownership/damage/replacement

Mustang Gregg

17 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Can you set out a donation jar at the shoots and have the same on the clubs website?

OLG

I might try that.  What would it hurt?

Much obliged!!!

Thank you all for the helpful ideas.  I appreciate all of the views and the new ideas.

I am going to have to get some things decided with the Ike's outfit and also our SASS club very soon.

Also my schedule has changed and my Saturdays aren't going to be free.

Mustang Gregg, 38345, Lifer.

Lincoln Area Regulators

8 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Tully, thanks for the tips. 

Actually we only have 20 shooters on a good day.  Usually only 13 maybe.  Not many to get funds from.

We only have two matches left for this year.  Only one shoot per month from April to October.

And my work schedule is now taking up mort of my Saturdays.

Still working on it,

Mustang

MG, 

13-20 shooters is perhaps $1,300 to 2,000 at a $100 if you had an annual membership fee. Yes a $100 bucks seems like a lot, but put it back to the shooters they maybe interested if it keeps the club operating and replaces targets. If you have some shooters traveling 200 miles one way, they are spending close to a $100 bucks a trip if they stop for food.

Let the shooters decide if the club is viable or not.

if the funds appear, you can use the old targets as rifle and buy new pistol targets, next time replace the rifle targets. 

Increasing shooting fees will not give the club immediate funds for targets, donations or membership fees will.

It's just a thought.

Sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends, hopefully you have some help with set up and running of the club.

Tully

Don't have any new suggestions on how to raise funds, but for only 10-20 shooters perhaps a little outside the box thinking on stages?  Perhaps setting up only one stage with a handful of quality steel targets.  Different patterns could be shot for different stages. 

Down range movement can also be incorporated to allow for even fewer targets to be necessary.  Shoot the rifle, table it safely and then move down range to engage the same targets with the handguns.

If shooters complain point them to the donation jar for new targets. 

On 8/10/2020 at 12:25 AM, Mustang Gregg said:

...I personally own 100% of the targets, stands, props, KD rack, etc, etc that our SASS club uses.... they are getting pretty beat.  They should really be replaced...However our club does not have the funds to replace any targets.  All expenses and repairs have been personally funded by ME....

Your bank account is shot.

The club's bank account is shot.

I'd say the Club's 2021 is shot too.

9 hours ago, July Smith said:

Don't have any new suggestions on how to raise funds, but for only 10-20 shooters perhaps a little outside the box thinking on stages?  Perhaps setting up only one stage with a handful of quality steel targets.  Different patterns could be shot for different stages. 

Down range movement can also be incorporated to allow for even fewer targets to be necessary.  Shoot the rifle, table it safely and then move down range to engage the same targets with the handguns.

If shooters complain point them to the donation jar for new targets. 

Yes, I do that now.  Only one set up for six stages and then delete them as we progress.

Thanks,

MG

Pix LAR Tagets.jpg

5 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Matthew, you are probably correct.

I hate to admit it.

MG

Check out the options via the NRA:  https://rangeservices.nra.org/funding-grants/ 

On 8/10/2020 at 10:56 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why?

Just consider them a donation and move on...many have done this.

Phantom

i get that , but i think agreements are meant to be kept , ill move on as you say , 

13 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Matthew, you are probably correct.

I hate to admit it.

MG

Kind of like faithful old car.  Gets to the point y'all have to stop pouring money into it and cut you loses?

Way too fancy. Stands base of stud boards, cut about 2 foot long, with a 4x4 or stud board upright. Use rebar drilled into the upright to hang steel. Use an old water hose cut to 2" around rebar so steel rings. Construct the base so the uprights just slide in. You may want to drill the base boards on edge for a 12' spike so they don't blow over. If you can find some company that deals with 3/8 AR500 sheet either have them cut it in squares and use squares and diamonds. Perhaps someone has a plasma cutter that will cut it in/for the club.. More time to setup as someone has to lug everything around.  Wear gloves for splinters.

On 8/10/2020 at 12:08 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Scrap prices are still pretty good.

I took a bunch of steel and old brass the other day ... I’ve since found more brass to be recycled but I’m waiting til prices go UP!  

one of the issues in this game (and probably other shooting disciplines) is too FEW folks do 95% of the work... and, at least in my experience, many don’t FULLY realize just how much it takes - mentally, physically, financially, emotionally to give SO MUCH of ones self to end up feeling as though you’ve been taken for granted... (not that @Mustang Gregg said that).  I think that it’s important to give those who shoot there the OPPORTUNITY to  1) step up and save it/make it work or 2) shut it down.  

@Assassin!  Thank you for your gift of doing the targets with your plasma cutter!  That’s awesome! 

The state of SC didn’t allow “raffles” for the longest time so all groups printed DONATION in ticket... @Black Hills Barb has a great idea about the 50-50.  

Also, I bet you could get someone in SASS or Hornady/Cabela’s to do a MATCHING gift a if you raise $1,000, then they’ll give you $1,000.... I would participate in that and think a lot of other folks would too PROVIDED the CLUB was 100% participating...I’m not gonna support something from “away” that the local folks, who will directly benefit, won’t support.  can you tell I used to work/volunteer for a lot of non profits? If I have more ideas... I’ll let you know. 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

12 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Scarlett you are blessed, you are not only smart but you are also pretty.

Major BSW

Awwwww thank you! I’ll take that even if your alias is Major BS Walker! :wub:

Big hugs!

Scarlett

I do have some recommendations for those clubs that don't have many assets. Fancy shapes don't last as long as squares, fancy shapes tend to deform much quicker.

Card suits have several appendages and they break or bend easily, except for diamonds, same with hat brims, hands, arms, legs, tails, etc. 16 x 16 inch targets hold up longer than larger targets. Larger targets will cup, and concave over extended use. Even using AR 500 targets will deform. We have some 16 x 16's that are the same age as our 16 x 20, 18 x 24, and 24 x 24 inch targets and they hold up much longer. I know everyone likes banging on those larger targets, if you are budget minded and want to keep things safe and simple 16 x 16 is your best option. You can get 18 targets out of a 4 X 8 sheet. That's enough targets for several stages and they will last.

Maybe smaller targets last longer because they don't get hit as often.:o 

I have a few suggestions.

1. Ask for member donations for raffles each shoot. Use the money for new targets.

2. Ask the local steel shops and weld shops if they have anything that they could donate to the club.

3. Store like Walmart have a budget for donations. I don't know if they would donate unless you're a non-profit but you could always ask. You could ask for clearance items to raffle off at the club. My wife used to do this for Boy Scouts.

4. Do you have a Cabelas nearby? They used to donate to clubs?

5. Ask gun-related manufacturers for donations and raffle them off. 

On 8/14/2020 at 11:19 PM, Cholla said:

4. Do you have a Cabelas nearby? They used to donate to clubs?

Unfortunately, with their new ownership, Cabelas no longer donates to clubs or gives door prizes unless the entity running it is a 501c3

On 8/14/2020 at 11:19 PM, Cholla said:

I have a few suggestions.

1. Ask for member donations for raffles each shoot. Use the money for new targets.  I haven't tried it.  But I'm doubtful it would help with our small outfit and distant shooters.

2. Ask the local steel shops and weld shops if they have anything that they could donate to the club.  I will try!

3. Store like Walmart have a budget for donations. I don't know if they would donate unless you're a non-profit but you could always ask. You could ask for clearance items to raffle off at the club. My wife used to do this for Boy Scouts.  I'm not really good at the begging.  But I will see.

4. Do you have a Cabelas nearby? They used to donate to clubs?  Yes, we're in NE.  Lots of Cabelas!

5. Ask gun-related manufacturers for donations and raffle them off. As an FFL, I'm not sure how the mfrs would reply to this.  I'll check.

Maybe you could have each club member purchase two targets each as replacements.    Had our clubs AR 400 cut into 16 by 16 and I had 4 more made for me in AR 500. Cost me approximate $10 a target more for AR500.  This was approx. 4 or 5 years ago.  You have to compare the price of sheets and see what the difference of the two is today.  Welding brackets and making stands of course will be the same.  This could be in place of monthly dues.  Let the club know these replacements are for your use also and are replacing your investment.  Thanks for assisting in getting your club going!!!

MG, I told you a a couple of years ago that me and Pam would be members, and why I have some health issues in the summer months and can't make the monthly, we would pay dues to support the club...  And how much are the targets each, I might be able to help with one or two...

Bottle KD rack.docxBottle KD rack.docxWW:

Thanks for the offer.

Those ST7 targets are too small according to shooters who frequented our '18, '19, '20 matches.

I get complaints on anything that is less than 15" X 15".  They want BIGGER ones.

And the Ike's won't let us put them any closer to the firing line.

We just got back from the NE championship where their main match targets were 0.25" X 26" X 26".

The shooters liked the larger area targets.  It's the popular thing these days.

If you are interested in BIG targets (warning, they will require a special stand and two men to handle them) check with your local chain gas station/convenience store.  They may either employ their own crew for maintenance of their manholes, or they may sub the work out.  However, those big 3'-4' manhole covers over the gas tanks do get replaced from time to time.  We "know a guy" that has gotten us some of them.  They "GONG" when they are hit and shooters love them.  

WW:

They are the exact same hanger that we used at the Flat Water Shootists (GRI rifle Club) range.

If my memory serves, they have a  .375" X 3" X 3" X 4" angle iron welded on the back that's about 3" down from the top edge with a 1" drilled hole in it.

I will get some pics when I get to Bennet again.

Sending you a PM too.

MG

• 1 month later...

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

YEEHAW!!! :P For now the pressure is off!!!! 

The owning range paid me for 44 of my personal used steel targets.  They are going to use them for some 300 M rifle/pistol gong targets at a new freestyle long distance match.

Also Platte Valley Kid donated 12 brand new cowboy-shaped 3/8" targets.  He's a fine feller.  Tell him so when you see him!

And after some serious negotiations, the major club allocated the money for fifteen 2' X 2' AR 400 steel plates, hanging hardware and stands for our 2021 shooting year.  I want to thank JP Ed for this project approval!

I am assembling them this weekend.  We will try some out at our October Halloweenie shootout. :o

• 3 weeks later...

At the last director's meeting I reminded the major club that if I take my targets and go home, there will no matches.

I didn't want to sound like an ass, but I had to do it that way. :rolleyes:

Now things are looking up for 2021 and we will hold at least 6 or 7 matches.

Muchas gracias, Pards,

Mustang

Archived