SASS Wire Forum

IN MILITARY MUSEUM & VIETNAM HONORS

The town of Vincennes, IN is home to the Indiana Military Museum. It's a wonderful , easy access Museum which also host some re-enactments during the year. The museum is 2 bldgs. The first bldg. is organized display cabinets of items pertaining to the different wars from 1700's to present. Many uniforms and weapons, and the floor is covered with guns, jeeps etc. The newest bldg. has large equipment, tanks trucks , towed guns, and even a section of original barracks removed from a local WW2 air training field. Outside, the acres are filed with planes, helos,  trucks, etc. They even have the conning tower off the submarine Indianapolis. Much of the equipment has been re-stored by volunteers locally.  The re-enactments are carried out in a field behind the museum. There's some old buildings and trench networks for use depending on the era being honored. They operate some of the trucks and tanks during the show and some of the non-runners are placed on the field. The soldiers do a questions-answer talk afterwards. Now don't get me wrong, this is not something that attracts thousands. A few hundred will be a big crowd as this is not a heavily populated area.  They have a program on Aug 15, 2020 to honor Vietnam veterans. I was told there would be re-enactors and that possible they will have a real flying huey to do an extraction.  Please check with the museum before traveling to make sure this is still going on. But mark the location to see the museum if you are in the area, It is SW Indiana (s of Terre Haute, n of Evansville).  Vincennes is a historical city in it's on right, (George Rogers Clark) and they have a yearly Rondevous with battles and such, but it has been canceled for this year.

There's a group out of Peru, IN, at the old Grissom AFB, called 'American Huey 369.' They do Huey flights and demonstrations. My oldest daughter paid for us to take a flight two years ago. I'm wondering if they will be the group doing the flight and extraction.

A large contigent of men from Vincennes enlisted in the Army right out of High School and went through basic with me in 1965.

Company A-15-4 at Ft. Knox, Ky.

Duffield

Archived